Recalled/Assigned: Canucks re-call Gaunce and Biega from Utica

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Most of these guys have 2 way contracts so in some cases it's a financial reward more than an opportunity award

Many people overlook this. These AHL guys must think it's a huge treat. If they're up for 3 games only to attend practice and they don't even play, they get a salary of about 35k in that time frame.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
WOOO! My lookalike Gaunce has been called up. I've been impressed with Gaunce the past 2 years, I hope he can play a game or two.

What the hell? You look nothing like Gaunce. You know who you remind me of? Hayden Panettiere, that's who.

But I'm with you, I'm curious to see how Gaunce performs in the bottom 6. No guarantees of course.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Many people overlook this. These AHL guys must think it's a huge treat. If they're up for 3 games only to attend practice and they don't even play, they get a salary of about 35k in that time frame.

I'm only going to say this once and will not argue any further. This stuff about players on call-ups being all giddy with glee about being able to practice with the "big boys" (which they did all preseason), stay in top hotels (again they have both been there done that), get a pricier steak (big whoop) being all they need to keep them happy is BS.

Biega is reaching the end of his chances to make it and I can guarantee you the #1 issue on his mind is his butt being penciled into the lineup. He has to develop an NHL resume, no matter how small, to give other teams a chance to see proof he can play at the top level. Vancouver isn't the only NHL team. Just being there is not going to send him back to Utica tickled pink because he made a few more bucks. That $ won't make his retirement/golden years any more comfortable.

Have you ever really seen Gaunce off the ice. He's not the most congenial guy. He wants to play. I told him I was hoping he wouldn't be here before he got here and he concurred he doesn't want to be here either. Nothing against Utica, the team, or the fans. He just wants to be a Canuck. I can guarantee just being in the press box won't make this different puppy a happy camper either. These guys don't spend their whole lives aiming at the NHL just to be happy with a few games in the press box and then back to the minors. You don't think they know the stats on how hard it is to make the show, the huge % of players who don't make it, and the time frame and how chances decrease within that time frame?

This idea is pleasing to those of us who'd kill for that little time with the big club.

Last edited by a moderator:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Hope the Gaunce makes it in but gotta admit crackers was playing quiet well but maybe they wanna sit some one else like bartchi

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Burrows Horvat Virtanen
Gaunce Sutter Hansen
Crackers Mccann Doorset

Edler Tanev
Hutton Biega
Sbisa Barkowski

taicanuck

Jan 14, 2012
I'm only going to say this once and will not argue any further. This stuff about players on call-ups being all giddy with glee about being able to practice with the "big boys" (which they did all preseason), stay in top hotels (again they have both been there done that), get a pricier steak (big whoop) being all they need to keep them happy is BS.

Biega is reaching the end of his chances to make it and I can guarantee you the #1 issue on his mind is his butt being penciled into the lineup. He has to develop an NHL resume, no matter how small, to give other teams a chance to see proof he can play at the top level. Vancouver isn't the only NHL team. Just being there is not going to send him back to Utica tickled pink because he made a few more bucks. That $ won't make his retirement/golden years any more comfortable.

Have you ever really seen Gaunce off the ice. He's not the most congenial guy. He wants to play. I told him I was hoping he wouldn't be here before he got here and he concurred he doesn't want to be here either. Nothing against Utica, the team, or the fans. He just wants to be a Canuck. I can guarantee just being in the press box won't make this different puppy a happy camper either. These guys don't spend their whole lives aiming at the NHL just to be happy with a few games in the press box and then back to the minors. You don't think they know the stats on how hard it is to make the show, the huge % of players who don't make it, and the time frame and how chances decrease within that time frame?

This idea is pleasing to those of us who'd kill for that little time with the big club. They don't share in our ease of gratificatio.

Well said. These players would probably take the bus to Dallas from Utica if they were guaranteed to play.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I like it:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett
Cracknell

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Biega
Sbisa-Weber
Bartkowski

Do that Willie!

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

This idea is pleasing to those of us who'd kill for that little time with the big club.

Well said.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

This idea is pleasing to those of us who'd kill for that little time with the big club. They don't share in our ease of gratification.

Let's test that theory (bolded).

[MOD]

I appreciate your insight, time, comments, and effort to support Utica Comets (and Vancouver Canucks). I think you are a valued contributor to this site.

Having said that, I often find your commentary to be "looking down on" others from heights you seem to place yourself. Arrogance and a position of entitlement... I find it odd. But it is entertaining for sure.

Often, as in this case, you present the argument, "none of you know what you a re taking about, I have it right because I live in Utica and see them play every day." Congrats, we appreciate that you are a huge supporter and can provide some insight!

So, let's see if you are true to your word and chose not to argue the point.

You are flat out wrong about what a player deserves, how he will feel and what he values.

At the same time, close to having a point.

Obviously, different players would act differently to an opportunity to be with the big club! All will be very excited to have their first chance to be selected to the regular season roster (like Gaunce) and most would all will be very disappointed to not get into a game. BOTH are true. And there is absolutely no doubt that any player, either one who has made 65k a year for 10 years playing hockey as a career minor leaguer or one who for the first time is his life is earning a pay check would be thrilled to make 50k in two weeks practicing, meeting, travelling, and watching as an extra on an nhl roster. The pay check is a factor. It does not wipe clean the disappointment of not playing, but it is a massive help for someone like Biega or Gaunce, without argument. It will make them smile and comfortable and leave them wanting more.

I have figuratively "skated in those skates." It happened in a different sport, but I can tell you, for me, the opportunity to experience the up close with a much smaller role than I might have at my previous level was incredibly important to me having future success in my career. I am sure that Gaunce may not smile away at it in the moment (may even feel internally torn), but the advantage to doing it for a couple of weeks will absolutely help him the second time around. It is shocking to me that anybody who has worn those skates would not admit that, at least in hindsight.

I am actually offended by your comments regarding suggesting that the Vancouver Canucks almost owe a player like Beiga the opportunity to showcase for another NHL team. Not a Canuck issue. I often hear posters suggest, "if we are not going to give him a chance, then he should be moved." What an asinine statement. It is asset management. Resources are spent to acquire rights or develop a players, and those assets need to be utilized for the best outcome for the team.

You support a team that's whole existence is to support the development of NHL talent for the Vancouver Canucks. Get used to it. Oh, and your welcome!:) Without this NHL franchise, you would be sitting with an empty arena and nothing to do on a Saturday night. (This is an example of how you come across to me with so many of your posts- Arrogant, superior and entitled; and actually pretty darn well informed).

Maybe do not get so upset when the Vancouver Canucks development is placed above the opportunity for the Utica Comets to win a particular game. If you didn't fight the process so hard and argue against the Canucks process so hard at every turn, your comments would be even better received than they already are.:) (see what I did there...)

Go Comets. And Go Canucks.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Heard on 1040 that Higgins won't even begin practicing for another week, so there is some opportunity here for Gaunce, even if it is just for this road trip. Hope he shows well.

I wonder how the lines will look like as a result... You'd think the balanced attack last game would keep WD from making radical changes, which leaves you with Gaunce - McCann - Dorsett. Not really a way to insulate, but not much choice.
It's pretty much impossible to insulate with at least one young guy on every line anyways. Unless you don't play one of them, of course.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

[MOD]

I appreciate your insight, time, comments, and effort to support Utica Comets (and Vancouver Canucks). I think you are a valued contributor to this site.

Having said that, I often find your commentary to be "looking down on" others from heights you seem to place yourself. Arrogance and a position of entitlement... I find it odd. But it is entertaining for sure.

Often, as in this case, you present the argument, "none of you know what you a re taking about, I have it right because I live in Utica and see them play every day." Congrats, we appreciate that you are a huge supporter and can provide some insight!

You support a team that's whole existence is to support the development of NHL talent for the Vancouver Canucks. Get used to it. Oh, and your welcome!:) Without this NHL franchise, you would be sitting with an empty arena and nothing to do on a Saturday night. (This is an example of how you come across to me with so many of your posts- Arrogant, superior and entitled; and actually pretty darn well informed).

Maybe do not get so upset when the Vancouver Canucks development is placed above the opportunity for the Utica Comets to win a particular game. If you didn't fight the process so hard and argue against the Canucks process so hard at every turn, your comments would be even better received than they already are.:) (see what I did there...)

Go Comets. And Go Canucks.

I believe you both have a point. Extra cash in the bank is always welcome but I am sure they want every opportunity they can get.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I don't understand how anyone could look at the schedule, see a back to back, and assume that both Biega and Gaunce won't see the ice.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't understand how anyone could look at the schedule, see a back to back, and assume that both Biega and Gaunce won't see the ice.

Completely agree. WD's reluctance to play call-ups last season may have something to do with people's apprehension about their insertion into the current lineup.

The Canucks have the numbers with their own roster players to play the games without either call-up making the lineup. We aren't talking goalies here. Regular players commonly play back to backs all season. Why wouldn't they now, especially this early in the season. I doubt anyone is overly fatigued from the grind just yet.

Edit: Some good news. The GDT says Gaunce is in. Not so for Biega. Always next game.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

Completely agree. WD's reluctance to play call-ups last season may have something to do with people's apprehension about their insertion into the current lineup.

The Canucks have the numbers with their own roster players to play the games without either call-up making the lineup. We aren't talking goalies here. Regular players commonly play back to backs all season. Why wouldn't they now, especially this early in the season. I doubt anyone is overly fatigued from the grind just yet.

What was the Corrado count from last year, BG?

I can't believe anyone would think you're talking down to anyone, and yes the idea of $$ is great, but these guys want to be NHL players.

You think Corrado is happy he got 35+ games in the presser last year? I think he'd rather have played, and had he not sat on his ars for 35+ games, he may well have developed enough to be in the NHL.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Playing Biega would really help stabilize our defense in my opinion. Gets three rightys on each pairing and then we can rotate whoever is worse of Sbisa and Bartowski and replace them with Hamhuis when he gets back. Biega provides just as much snarl as Sbisa does and Bartowski isn't needed at all. Weber is crap defensively but we need him for the powerplay badly so he stays.

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Biega
Sbisa/Bartowski - Weber

With Hamhuis:

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Biega
Sbisa/Bartowski

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

This.

Well said.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
All I want is for Biega to play a home game, score and have "Mambo #5" as his goal song.

If not, send him back down ASAP until resolved.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC

[MOD]

I am actually offended by your comments regarding suggesting that the Vancouver Canucks almost owe a player like Beiga the opportunity to showcase for another NHL team. Not a Canuck issue. I often hear posters suggest, "if we are not going to give him a chance, then he should be moved." What an asinine statement. It is asset management. Resources are spent to acquire rights or develop a players, and those assets need to be utilized for the best outcome for the team.

The first bolded statement is a gross mischaracterization of what he wrote. The second one is ironic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad