Recalled/Assigned: Canucks re-call Gaunce and Biega from Utica

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm down.

Love Biega, must mean Hammer is out for a bit.

Gaunce will fit in well in the bottom 6. All the kids, 4 rookies and 6 under 23. :laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Sucks that Hamhuis is likely out for a while, but I also felt Biega deserved a spot out of camp so I'm happy for him.

I'm also OK with Gaunce coming up over Shinkaruk. It's for a bottom line role, and it's probably a good idea to not mess with the hot start Shinkaruk has had so far. Plus I also felt that Gaunce earned a spot out of camp too, so it's nice to see him get a shot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sucks if Hamhuis is going to be gone for an extended period. :(

Hopefully they play Biega. Was easily better in preseason than 3 guys who were dressed last night and looked great with Hutton.

Exciting for Gaunce to get his first NHL games.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
Does this mean McCann and Virtanen are staying beyond 9 games? I think we would have heard something by now if they weren't planning on activating their ELC's

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Does this mean McCann and Virtanen are staying beyond 9 games? I think we would have heard something by now if they weren't planning on activating their ELC's

Last year the decision on Horvat was made right at the 9th game, so it's still too early to tell.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Why now? We still have 18 healthy skaters.

They did this last year too where AHLers get called up for nothing more than sitting in press box duty.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

They did this last year too where AHLers get called up for nothing more than sitting in press box duty.

They probably like Cracknell at centre and Gaunce at wing, running with only 18 skaters is extremely silly IMO.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

You need spares. If Cracknell draws in then Gaunce sits (though Gaunce is LH so I think he plays). I think they will go Gaunce McCann Dorsett.

Biega will likely sit unless they have had enough of PizzaBarf.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Sucks that Hamhuis is likely out for a while, but I also felt Biega deserved a spot out of camp so I'm happy for him.

I'm also OK with Gaunce coming up over Shinkaruk. It's for a bottom line role, and it's probably a good idea to not mess with the hot start Shinkaruk has had so far. Plus I also felt that Gaunce earned a spot out of camp too, so it's nice to see him get a shot.
I second these thoughts.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

The Canucks - and most teams - will always want to have an extra forward/defenseman in reserve, especially on road trips. Easier than having to try and quickly recall someone from Utica if someone else goes down with an injury on the trip.

Echoing the sentiments already expressed - I'm worried about what this means for Hamhuis, although I'm certainly pumped for Biega to get a shot. Would love to see he and Hutton reunited, they were a solid pair in the preseason.

Ditto for Gaunce; hope he draws in, although you'd think Cracknell will get first dibbs on a playing spot until his play makes Desjardins say otherwise.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
I guess it's just me then, but it seemed like just about every Gillis call up got at least a game whereas last year players came, sat, saw and left.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Heard on 1040 that Higgins won't even begin practicing for another week, so there is some opportunity here for Gaunce, even if it is just for this road trip. Hope he shows well.

I wonder how the lines will look like as a result... You'd think the balanced attack last game would keep WD from making radical changes, which leaves you with Gaunce - McCann - Dorsett. Not really a way to insulate, but not much choice.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Gaunce, Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, and McCann.
That's a lot of youth up front if all play at the same time. Hopefully we get to see that.
Then Hutton on defence. Youth movement in full swing. Hopefully Shinkaruk keeps up his strong play and we see him get a call up later on as well.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver

Most of these guys have 2 way contracts so in some cases it's a financial reward more than an opportunity award

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
I doubt Gaunce plays. Cracknell has earned his spot on this team and I don't think it would be fair to have Gaunce leapfrog him. They kept Crackenll and sent Gaunce down for a reason. Expect Cracknell to slot in and Gaunce to sit. It will still be good experience for Gaunce to travel with the team though, and he might get a game in.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Really glad to see Gaunce got the call over Vey. I had my doubts. :laugh:

Also, good for Biega. Hopefully he can continue his excellent play from the preseason (assuming he gets game time).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I doubt Gaunce plays. Cracknell has earned his spot on this team and I don't think it would be fair to have Gaunce leapfrog him. They kept Crackenll and sent Gaunce down for a reason. Expect Cracknell to slot in and Gaunce to sit. It will still be good experience for Gaunce to travel with the team though, and he might get a game in.
They sent Gaunce down because he was waivers exempt.
Cracknell is also RH, so Gaunce replacing Prust makes sense. If it was Dorsett then Cracknell would draw in.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
These are the call-ups I would have made so I am happy with that. Too bad Hammer is out for a while apparently though, he's a big part of our d-core. I have faith in Biega however, and Hutton should move up the ladder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->