Confirmed with Link: Canucks qualify Fs Grenier, Zalewski, D Pedan. Vey not exepecting QO

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That's probably a pretty awful AHL D group.

Nilsson had a 3 yr ELC with Toronto and did nothing in the one year (his second on the ELC ,while chosing to play in Sweden years 1 and 3) he tried the AHL. Don't believe he was in the top 6, put up 6 total points (1G/5A), only played in 44 games, could end up in Alaska, but if he stays, he is more likely to be depth rather than top 6.

McEneny will be an Alaska Ace. If he is counted on for Utica, it won't be a good sign.

Ehrhardt is and was not Vancouver signed and is currently a UFA. He was bottom 6 with Utica's top 6 in house.

Sautner is an undrafted player who held his own only when paired with Utica's best D-man. When all were present he was depth.

Expect Subban and Stecher to be the only two off your list to be in the top 6 and Stecher hasn't played one second of pro hockey. Hope he plays well coming out of the gate, but a slow start wouldn't be any surprise at all.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Good-bye if so. No way he merits a one-way deal in any way, shape, or form.

Well Grenier doesn't exactly have much in the way of bargaining rights does he? Canucks don't need to say goodbye. The Canucks don't need to sign him. If Grenier doesn't agree he's pretty much screwed.

Sautner is an undrafted player who held his own only when paired with Utica's best D-man. When all were present he was depth.

I'm not sure about that. Sautner held his own as a first year pro. Green seems happy with his play and considering the Canucks actually called him up last season, I'm sure Green had something to do with the callup.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well Grenier doesn't exactly have much in the way of bargaining rights does he? Canucks don't need to say goodbye. The Canucks don't need to sign him. If Grenier doesn't agree he's pretty much screwed.

I'm not sure about that. Sautner held his own as a first year pro. Green seems happy with his play and considering the Canucks actually called him up last season, I'm sure Green had something to do with the callup.

"Sautner held his own as a first year pro."

I didn't deny that fact, but clarified how it set up. He did not prosper away from Fedun. He played in 50 games and was not injured. The GP increased proportionally to the player shortage in the second half. He was moved in and out of the lineup in the first half almost like a platooning system. The same system went back into play whenever the Comets had their full complement of defenders; e.g, he played in 2 of the Comets 4 playoff games. Hell, Negrin at one time had played in every Comets game from game one for a huge stretch of games. He was the only D-man who had. That in itself puts things in much better perspective.

The Comets D was weak to begin with and Biega's promotion to the big club and an injury or two and then Pedan going up and down, the play of some like Sautner was directly related to the need to ice 6 D. That's how Landry ended up added to the roster and Shields got two back to back 25 game PTO deals and both were very instrumental to the Comets second half D play. Sautner was chosen over McEneny and Cederholm as he is younger and potentially has more promise.

Last edited:

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Just think that 2nd rounder on Vey could have had McKeown in the system. If Vey doesn't get qualified another 2nd pick just got flushed down the crapper by the toads in charge of this mess.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I really, really like saying "that guy is going to Alaska." maybe not quite as good as saying he's going to the zoo, but still good.

You just know that's going to be Travis Green's go-to line during Comets camp.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Just think that 2nd rounder on Vey could have had McKeown in the system. If Vey doesn't get qualified another 2nd pick just got flushed down the crapper by the toads in charge of this mess.

Worse, that 2nd (plus a 3rd) could've been sent to Anaheim for Kyle Palmeri, an actual good asset.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Nilsson had a 3 yr ELC with Toronto and did nothing in the one year (his second on the ELC ,while chosing to play in Sweden years 1 and 3) he tried the AHL. Don't believe he was in the top 6, put up 6 total points (1G/5A), only played in 44 games, could end up in Alaska, but if he stays, he is more likely to be depth rather than top 6.

I think Nilsson will be pencilled in at Utica. He played all of the Marlies first 36 games before missing a couple months due to injury. Doesn't produce offense, but is supposed to be a pretty solid defensive player at the AHL level and his first pass is better than his stats would suggest.

Would ideally be on the third pairing at Utica, but could probably capably handle a #4 spot if it came to it.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
It's a mistake to not quality Etem. I really do believe that he's going to have a better season in 2017. He's showing a lot of promise.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sautner was chosen over McEneny and Cederholm as he is younger and potentially has more promise.

Sautner is the same age as McEneny and older than Cederholm. Potentially more promise is important no?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sautner is the same age as McEneny and older than Cederholm. Potentially more promise is important no?

Dumb and not like me to do my research first on their ages before making a post. Just used the 1st yr pro fact to ASSume his age relationship to the others. DUH!

Yes, the potential thing is most important. Doubt if McEneny or Cederholm ever get another sniff above the ECHL with the Vancouver organization, but hey, you never know. I actually thought Ian had looked promising in his short Utica looks.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I think Nilsson will be pencilled in at Utica. He played all of the Marlies first 36 games before missing a couple months due to injury. Doesn't produce offense, but is supposed to be a pretty solid defensive player at the AHL level and his first pass is better than his stats would suggest.

Would ideally be on the third pairing at Utica, but could probably capably handle a #4 spot if it came to it.

I don't know much about Nilsson except from what I've seen in video highlights and he has a reputation for hitting like a freight which is not typical for Swedish defensemen. I look forward to seeing what his game looks like on his second opportunity in North America.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's a mistake to not quality Etem. I really do believe that he's going to have a better season in 2017. He's showing a lot of promise.

Latest tweets say he will be qualified by Monday, I assume they were maybe waiting on a trade option that fell through to replace him

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
You just know that's going to be Travis Green's go-to line during Comets camp.
"We sent Stewart and McEneny to Anchorage together. They should have enough food for a week, but it's getting too cold to hitch. Last I heard, the boys separated in Skagway, with Stewart heading to the Klondike. Something about gold.."

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Nothing like a little brevity in the A.M. to cut some of the sometimes too serious chatter.

Good one! LOL!!! That's the only way Stewie is going to strike it rich.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Still concerned as to why he didn't return to Toronto for the next season instead of returning to Sweden. 2 of his 3 ELC years spent in Sweden and then released. Sounds like another reclamation project and it could get in Sautner's path.

Vancouver's depth Biega and Pedan.
Vancouver's 2 top prospects Subban and Stecher.
AHL provided #1 D-man a la Bobby Sanguinetti (Fedun was close so maybe he hangs on), who could also be called up by the Canucks. Along with the AHL cornerstone vet #1 shutdown guy, leader on the bench, in the locker room, on the ice and provides the calming influence that holds it all together a la Kent Huskins (this guy was sorely missed and his replacement was not here last year and is not on this list).
Nilsson and Sautner.

This sends Neill "North to Alaska" and probably seals the fate of Negrin, Landry, Ehrhardt, and Shields as Green usually only carries 8 D-men out of camp and whittles it to 7 with the 8th guy on call-up standby in the E. Injuries and Vancouver call-ups requires at least 2 guys in the E he can call back. Any of these 4 could fit that role as they have proven their ability to play in the A, but all are currently UFAs and can sign elsewhere.

We are also ruling out any other players either signed or picked up in the off season and assigned to the Utica camp. Lord knows a little competition in the ranks wouldn't hurt.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Appears to be like I said. Toronto was unimpressed and traded him to New York Islanders and then they jacked him around in Bridgeport, and didn't commit to his assignment . Then Toronto calls him again and he simply went home. He's a guy both franchises wanted for depth filler at the AHL level and he thought even with an AHL assignment that he somehow figured into the big club's plans. He didn't.

Now Jimbo has brought him in as a reclamation project and he will start in Utica (and probably stay there). Reminds me of the Tommernes and Andersson assignments. There was no way they were going to play in Vancouver and Tommernes split for Sweden when he saw the handwriting half way through his second season in Utica. He was playing behind the new kids and the veteran mainstays (Sanguinetti and Huskins) and often being a healthy scratch. Andersson would have made a very good consistent AHL D-man, but the money for both was much better in Sweden so why take less here with no chance for advancement.

Nilsson could become very disenfranchised quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad