Confirmed with Link: Canucks qualify Fs Grenier, Zalewski, D Pedan. Vey not exepecting QO

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Blain was put on unconditional waivers last summer and released from his contract.

Blomstrand has signed in Sweden. Considering the Canucks didn't invite him to main camp in each of the last 2 seasons, I assume they won't qualify him.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I've got to think both Vey and Etem will get qualifiers, whether they deserve them or not. Dhaliwal seems to disagree:

Last edited:

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
i'm not sure with Vey. the problem with him is that he makes more than 950k so he eats cap when he doesn't make the team.

Etem's qualifier is a little under 900k

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
From my point of view those are the 3 obvious ones to qualify.

Not really concerned about Vey or Etem to be honest. Well I am concerned about Vey...concerned they will qualify him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Logical.

You'd think Etem would get a QO after his good finish. Vey should absolutely not, in a million years.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Etem's earned another deal, he was one of the better players down the stretch.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hm, interesting they told Etem's agent to get back to them at the draft. Makes sense since there seems to be a lot of moving pieces ... as mentioned, Vey absolutely shouldn't be qualified at his bloated salary.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hm, interesting they told Etem's agent to get back to them at the draft. Makes sense since there seems to be a lot of moving pieces ... as mentioned, Vey absolutely shouldn't be qualified at his bloated salary.

Vey shouldn't be qualified if he was going to make the league minimum. He's simply an awful NHL player that our head coach can't keep himself from using. And was even dreadful in the AHL last year.

It doesn't speak to a great deal of planning if you trade a pick for a young player like Etem, Etem actually plays better than expected after being picked up, and then you possibly aren't even going to qualify him in the summer.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Vey shouldn't be qualified if he was going to make the league minimum. He's simply an awful NHL player that our head coach can't keep himself from using. And was even dreadful in the AHL last year.

It doesn't speak to a great deal of planning if you trade a pick for a young player like Etem, Etem actually plays better than expected after being picked up, and then you possibly aren't even going to qualify him in the summer.

I'm sure they intend to sign Etem. The delay is probably more related to not really knowing the cap situation after the draft heading into free agency. Maybe they'll try to get him a 2-3 year deal for cost control? I dunno. And yes, I guess Vey's bad at any salary. He's clearly an AHL player when he wants to be ... last season he just didn't seem to put in the effort.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Etem should be qualified as well. Wasn't sure about him for the longest time since he only looked good with Vey but they weren't scoring and merely looking good wasn't going to cut it. But then he started putting them in, away from Linden, in the last couple weeks. Though the ice Q is definitely wanting I though he earned another year. Big winger with speed for the bottom 6 if nothing else.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Weird if they don't qualify Etem. They might as well light our draft picks on fire and use them to light a cigar.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Weird if they don't qualify Etem. They might as well light our draft picks on fire and use them to light a cigar.
We saw what happened when Pat Quinn did that. Cigars are mad unhealthy. Weisbrod and Linden vape all the tossed-away draft picks.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Players who earned less than $660,000 in the previous season must be offered 110 percent of last season's salary. Players making up to $1 million must be offered 105 percent. Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent.

If the numbers are still the same

Zalewski's QO: 632,000
Grenier's QO: 643,500
Pedan's QO: 832,125
Vey's QO: 1,050,000 (not expected to receive it)
Etem's QO: 893,025

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Blain was put on unconditional waivers last summer and released from his contract.

Blomstrand has signed in Sweden. Considering the Canucks didn't invite him to main camp in each of the last 2 seasons, I assume they won't qualify him.

After his release from Vancouver Blain hooked up with the Chicago Wolves and jockeyed back and forth between the Wolves and the ECHL Brampton Beast with two stops in each location.

Color Ludwig gone.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Vey likely not to be qualified by the Canucks.

Liked him as a 13th guy, but there was no chance WD was going to utilize him as such. Better to cut him loose.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Aren't QOs mostly just done at the minimum level to retain a player's rights, or am I mistaken?

Yeah, it's just a bare minimum offer that has to be made to maintain the rights of the player and prevent them from becoming a UFA. It's basically just paperwork filing with the league office.

Players almost never accept them, but EVERY YEAR the media doesn't seem to understand this and makes a big deal out of players not signing qualifying offers.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Qualifying Offers also don't expire until July 1st, so even if a player might want to accept it they have almost 2 weeks from now before they need to make a decision.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Players you want to keep and haven't sign yet are always offered a qualifying offer. You get to keep the rights then, like what Edmonton did with Larsen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad