Confirmed with Link: Canucks qualify Fs Grenier, Zalewski, D Pedan. Vey not exepecting QO

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Liked him as a 13th guy, but there was no chance WD was going to utilize him as such. Better to cut him loose.
If Benning isn't a big fan – and he doesn't seem to be, particularly – one has to wonder why he re-signed Vey, made him a callup, etc., knowing Desjardins would do this. Or at least hash it out with Desjardins if you have no better callup option -- the coach does report to him after all.

Players almost never accept them, but EVERY YEAR the media doesn't seem to understand this and makes a big deal out of players not signing qualifying offers.
I feel it's more the media simply reports it, and then every year fans themselves don't realize it... kind of like two-way contracts and waivers, the misunderstanding that won't freaking go away.

All that said, I'm a bit surprised a guy like Grenier whose NHL future is really far from certain wouldn't just take the offer for a bit of stability.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Surprised Etem isn't getting qualified yet, but we do have a lot of tweeners right now. They probably see Gaunce as a better option for the bottom 6 and Rodin to be a serviceable bottom 9 player.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I would like to keep Etem around, even if just for depth in Utica.

He had a fairly strong finish to the season, and if nothing else would be a nice call-up option for the bottom six.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I agree with the majority here: Etem should get a QO but Vey should be cut loose. I feel for him and what he's going through, I really do, but the GM still has to make smart hockey decisions.

If he's willing to re-dedicate himself, work hard and start from the bottom, I'd love to have him in the AHL, though. Like someone else said, he's a high end AHL player when he wants to be and would help Utica tremendously.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Surprised Etem isn't getting qualified yet, but we do have a lot of tweeners right now. They probably see Gaunce as a better option for the bottom 6 and Rodin to be a serviceable bottom 9 player.

they probably see Gaunce as trade bait.

Etem's fate is pretty much tied to Gaunce, Burrows, Higgins, and the canucks free agent plans.

Here's my guess on the bottom 6

Higgins will be bought out
They will attempt to trade Burrows to MTL or NYR with salary retained
They will trade Gaunce to New Jersey for a 3rd round pick
They will sign a Bottom 6 forward with ties to Willie like Darren Helm or Colton Sceviour. There is also Martin....he's good in scrums...
They will extend Etem a QO
They will trade a draft pick in next years draft for someone's waiver fodder

In other words our forward depth will suck and the Sedins will have to carry the offense once again and the lack of scoring will be blamed on injuries.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Etem played much better than Vey, Granlund, Gaunce, Dorsett, Higgins, and a handful of other guys. I'm sure it will get done.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don't really care if Etem stays or goes but god ****ing dammit can we stop wasting picks on fringe NHLers who are barely worth extending a QO for?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I don't really care if Etem stays or goes but god ****ing dammit can we stop wasting picks on fringe NHLers who are barely worth extending a QO for?

If Jim Benning was a hobo he would never leave the garbage bin. He just loves swimming in other peoples garbage looking for a half eaten apple core.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Amen.

Like, if we're so marginal on liking this guy that even after he plays reasonably well and exceeds expectations we're not even sure if he's worth a qualifying offer, why on earth are we spending a draft pick acquiring him?

This is the sort of asset you get on waivers. The logic here is just baffling. And this is how you bleed picks, and why we're only drafting 5 times this year.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
And this is how you bleed picks, and why we're only drafting 5 times this year.

I'll be excited if they actually step to the podium and make 5 picks this year. I'm not convinced they will.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Too bad for Vey with all the crap going on in his life. Shouldnt be kicked to the curb like this

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Too bad for Vey with all the crap going on in his life. Shouldnt be kicked to the curb like this

so we should just throw him a pity party and give him another contract? I feel bad for Vey the person but you have to seperate Vey the person from Vey the hockey player. Vey the hockey player just isn't good enough and should probably go to Europe for a few years. Maybe he gets another NHL shot down the road.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
They're probably working on something long term with Etem... :laugh:

Every human being on this planet has crap going on in their lives. Most don't get to make a few million bucks playing a game before age 25.

Vey's family situation is tragic, sure, but should in no way shape or form influence the decision to cut him from the team for being a bad hockey player.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

I called this. Benning is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with Vey. People will call him out for cutting a player who is having a tough time versus cutting a player who is having a tough time being an NHL regular.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I called this. Benning is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with Vey. People will call him out for cutting a player who is having a tough time versus cutting a player who is having a tough time being an NHL regular.

By people you mean 1 poster?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Every human being on this planet has crap going on in their lives. Most don't get to make a few million bucks playing a game before age 25.

Vey's family situation is tragic, sure, but should in no way shape or form influence the decision to cut him from the team for being a bad hockey player.

It's sad, but I wouldn't even call it tragic. Nobody died or was permanently injured.

This organization already tossed him a freebie last season when they gave him a new contract and raise he didn't deserve. He should have been dumped then. You can't keep doing it forever.

And again, it's not like this was a player who was tracking well and then had this happen. His career year in the minors that convinced us to trade for him came AFTER all the family stuff happened. It isn't an excuse.

And it's not like we're kicking him to the welfare line. He'll go get paid $300k or so to live in Switzerland or Germany if his NHL career is over.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Etem played much better than Vey, Granlund, Gaunce, Dorsett, Higgins, and a handful of other guys. I'm sure it will get done.

I'm not totally sure about Gaunce but he was definitely better than the other 4 guys you mentioned.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
They're probably working on something long term with Etem... :laugh:
That's what I thought too. :laugh: Points in the last five games of the season in garbage time... you know Benning is going to take a big victory lap on that.

They should be able to move on from Vey without getting bad PR, though I'm sure some would use it to rip management for "turning their backs" on a player like they did with Kassian.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

His deal last year was a killer. That contract Benning gave him last year is a big part of the problem. If he was on a two way $700k deal they could QO him if only as an AHL callup. Maybe they will offer him a pay cut 2-way deal anyway.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Very interesting that Etem didn't get qualified. Can't help but wonder if this isn't the FO sending a small message to Willie. No more Medicine Hat specials; you win with the players we give you or good bye.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Mildly surprised on Zalewski, wasn't sure he'd get a QO. Good versatile farmhand though, so perfectly reasonable.

A bit surprised they haven't delivered a QO for Etem yet though. Could just be that they're working on a multi-year deal like Granlund though. For better or worse...

Yeah, it's just a bare minimum offer that has to be made to maintain the rights of the player and prevent them from becoming a UFA. It's basically just paperwork filing with the league office.

Players almost never accept them, but EVERY YEAR the media doesn't seem to understand this and makes a big deal out of players not signing qualifying offers.

And EVERY YEAR fans hear this stuff and flip out when every young player isn't retained at their absolute bare minimum QO value. :laugh:

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
His deal last year was a killer. That contract Benning gave him last year is a big part of the problem. If he was on a two way $700k deal they could QO him if only as an AHL callup. Maybe they will offer him a pay cut 2-way deal anyway.

That's what I figure is happening with Vey. No way anyone is going to pay him $1M.

Anyway, with the expansion draft coming up next year, I figure that the Canucks need to keep at least one of Vey or Etem around to expose in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad