Canucks purchase the Peoria Rivermen (Post #162)

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Sweet! I may actually go to AHL games since they're much cheaper than Canucks games and I'd get to see our prospects develop. :)

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The other thing to consider is that the AHL definitely wants other teams (like the California ones) to move their affiliates out west too.

The Heat NEVER made sense in Abbotsford. They never were seen as a permanent fixture.

The Canucks having their affiliate in Abbotsford makes tons of sense, and it also makes the AHL out West a permanent item. Look to see more teams now start to move their franchises out to California, Washington over the next several years.

You're smart, I like you.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
just wondering do we get to keep the staffs from Perora too? I really like how they developed ST Louis prospects.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
It makes sense as a business move AND a developmental move. Now the prospects can get access to the best trainers, facilities, etc.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Sweet! I may actually go to AHL games since they're much cheaper than Canucks games and I'd get to see our prospects develop. :)

I would definitely catch a Baby Canucks game in Abbotsford. The travel schedule is brutal at the moment, but at least it will prepare them somewhat for the bigs, if this all holds true.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
The only thing that worries me is that the prospects havign to travel so much may take a toll on them. Also free agent prospects might be scared to sign with us and having to live in Abby w/ the travel as oppose to staying in a bigger city in Chicago

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The only thing that worries me is that the prospects havign to travel so much may take a toll on them. Also free agent prospects might be scared to sign with us and having to live in Abby w/ the travel as oppose to staying in a bigger city in Chicago

I'm willing to bet that a lot of them would live in Vancouver proper and commute.

Having the Canucks organization at the helm is more enticing than Calgary's, especially since Vancouver has shown their willingness to spend money to help the team succeed in non traditional ways like diet and sleep study.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
It makes sense as a business move AND a developmental move. Now the prospects can get access to the best trainers, facilities, etc.

the vancouver canucks are pleased to announce the extension/hiring of our new affiliate coach/GM scott arneil

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I hope they wouldn't continue to be the "Heat". Abbotsford Millionaires anyone? or the Jonny Canuck in the V?

No chance it would be the heat, I am down for the Abbotsford Millionaires.

Come to think of it, It has a damn nice feel 2 it also.

it works

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
You'll likely see alot of the team staff (coaches, trainers, etc) move to Abbotsford from Peoria with the team, unless the Canucks clean house.

Likely a fair amount of "Heat" staff, such as the inhouse entertainment, sales staff, would be retained, but again, that's not a guarantee.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
You'll likely see alot of the team staff (coaches, trainers, etc) move to Abbotsford from Peoria with the team, unless the Canucks clean house.

Likely a fair amount of "Heat" staff, such as the inhouse entertainment, sales staff, would be retained, but again, that's not a guarantee.

I doubt it based on the the Heat's attendance issues.

I would love Peoria's staff, especially their coaches for development.

St. Louis can keep Arniel.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
I doubt it based on the the Heat's attendance issues.

I would love Peoria's staff, especially their coaches for development.

St. Louis can keep Arniel.

As long as the deal excludes out Arniel I am happy. He is free to go about developing AHL lifers instead of doing his job to develop our prospects.

ZenMaster*

This probably also means that Canucks will be affiliating themselves with Victoria's ECHL team. Kalamazoo was only a couple hours away from Chicago.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
This probably also means that Canucks will be affiliating themselves with Victoria's ECHL team. Kalamazoo was only a couple hours away from Chicago.

We don't have an ECHL team anymore. We have WHL and BCHL. The Salmon Kings were the ECHL affiliate before they folded.

linden16fan

Jun 14, 2011
Langley BC
If they move a team to BC, they will be playing in Abbotsford not anywhere closer to Vancouver. Why make another arena when they have one already in Abbotsford

mrbitterguy

Sep 24, 2010
san francisco
[Tom Mayenknecht ‏@TheSportMarket](https://twitter.com/TheSportMarket)
Still lots of moving parts b4 March 23rd timeline but watch for Calgary Flames to take on Utica for their AHL affiliation while...(Cont'd)
[Tom Mayenknecht ‏@TheSportMarket](https://twitter.com/TheSportMarket)
(Part 2)...St. Louis Blues to affiliate with Chicago Wolves and @VanCanucks to buy Peoria to move to Abbotsford. #ahlcarousel @TEAM1040

there was too much smoke for this to not be a real possibility. really good deal for the team imo, and for the prospect development. they need to make sure they get a great gm for the farm team like heisinger was for the moose. heisinger found a lot of prospects and touted prospects that turned out to be great nhlers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad