Canucks purchase the Peoria Rivermen (Post #162)

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Abbotsford Raspberries
Abbotsford Apostles
Abbotsford Inmates

polls_OoGMYnQcWn_i_am_not_a_crook_1_2351_693_poll_xlarge.jpeg

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
Fresh Tweets

Andy Strickland @andystrickland
To answer a number of questions...yes the #stlblues are looking to sell the Peoria Rivermen as they make no money owning an #AHL team.

Andy Strickland @andystrickland
As for Moving Peoria to Kansas City, sources say the Sprint Center has zero interest in an #AHL team, more focused on the #NHL and the #NBA

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007

I don't believe for one second that Abbotsford is a good location for a minor league system with what the Heat have been through. Abbotsford has the worst travel in the AHL by far, the least amount of practice time and a major issue with injuries. This is not a good situation to bring prospects in and to be quite honest their games are boring as heck to watch.
I have never understood the less practice argument. Don't other ahl teams bus to most of their games while the heat fly? Even if other ahl teams are closer they would have around the same amount of practice time since busing takes longer.

bleedblack93

May 27, 2011
LA
I don't believe for one second that Abbotsford is a good location for a minor league system with what the Heat have been through. Abbotsford has the worst travel in the AHL by far, the least amount of practice time and a major issue with injuries. This is not a good situation to bring prospects in and to be quite honest their games are boring as heck to watch.
Sounds like the perfect environment to get kids ready for the big club to me.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
What if they choose not to associate the hypothetical new team with Abbotsford? Imagine seeing them named for

-Vancouver
-B.C
-the Northwest
-the Pacific

Hmmmmmmm.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
What if they choose not to associate the hypothetical new team with Abbotsford? Imagine seeing them named for

-Vancouver
-B.C
-the Northwest
-the Pacific

Hmmmmmmm.

I wonder if the city of Abbotsford would have a say in that? hmmm...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As I already joked on the Wolves topic, can't help but laugh that I'll be going from casually attending one rival's affiliate to another's.

Things were a lot simpler when the Wolves were just the farm team of Atlanta. :laugh:

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Oh please, get off your high horses :laugh:
The name is going to be Abbotsford something. Abbotsford is already on hook for a lot of money and they rightly should call it by their city name.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I have never understood the less practice argument. Don't other ahl teams bus to most of their games while the heat fly? Even if other ahl teams are closer they would have around the same amount of practice time since busing takes longer.

Me to, they do have to travel further, but I would assume that most flights would be set up for after games or days off/night times after practice etc. ??? or do these guys spend every moment when they do not play training or something?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Chilliwack has zero federal institutions and Abbotsford has 3 and none are max.

Ahh ok...
My information is wrong.

Somehow my friend told me that Chilliwack is surrounded by prisons.
Never bothered to check.

Edit:
Did a quick check.
Abbotsford has 1 (medium).
Chilliwack has 2 near it, in Kent (maximum) and Agassiz (medium).
Mission has 2, a minimum and medium.

Last edited:

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Ahh ok...
My information is wrong.

Somehow my friend told me that Chilliwack is surrounded by prisons.
Never bothered to check.

Edit:
Did a quick check.
Abbotsford has 1 (medium).
Chilliwack has 2 near it, in Kent (maximum) and Agassiz (medium).
Mission has 2, a minimum and medium.
They're both 'surrounded' by prisons. Kent and Mountain (Agassiz), Matsqui and the Fraser Valley Institution for Women (Abbotsford), Ferndale and Mission (Mission). A friend of mine is the handyman at Kent. Not a nice place.

Edit: well, ****. Looks like you edited your post while I was writing mine. Damn.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
They're both 'surrounded' by prisons. Kent and Mountain (Agassiz), Matsqui and the Fraser Valley Institution for Women (Abbotsford), Ferndale and Mission (Mission). A friend of mine is the handyman at Kent. Not a nice place.

Edit: well, ****. Looks like you edited your post while I was writing mine. Damn.

Sorry.
I just did a quick check on wikipedia.

It didn't mention the Fraser Valley one though.
Good to know.
Thanks for the correct info.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
No need to apologize! :)

It's an interesting region for sure and a good place for the Canucks to really cash in if they end up buying a team and moving it to the Valley. For what it's worth, my vote is still for the Abbotsford Fundies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad