Canucks purchase the Peoria Rivermen (Post #162)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I agree Abottsford is too small for a Canuck's affiliate. I disagree that Rogers arena is not economically viable. Ten thousand tickets at twenty bucks each is two hundred thousand. Thirty eight regular season home games and you are running into serious money. It is also understood that the crowd spends money while they are in the building. In fact I think ten thousand per game is erroneous, I'd expect sell-outs every game.

If you can get 10K people to a game at $20 each. The Marlies are a good example. Sure theyhave more non-hockey
pro-competition but the market is much bigger.

Regular season/Playoffs

2005-06: 4,362/3,811
2006-07: 3,829/DNQ
2007-08: 4,348/2,708
2008-09: 3,728/2,819
2009-10: 4,070/DNQ
2010-11: 4,694/DNQ
2011-12: 5,480/6,617

If a canucks affiliate placed in vancouver proper drew 5K people it'd be a success, but there is no way they use they use rogers arena for that.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Canucks moving farm affiliates?

According to Tom Mayenknecht and RT'd by Brad Ziemer, it looks like Calgary will go with Utica for their AHL affiliation, with the Blues taking on the Wolves and the Canucks buying Peoria to move them to Abbotsford.

Thoughts?

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Great news if that's true!

Chicago Wolves under Arniel has been terrible for our prospects. Hopefully Arniel stays with the Wolves too.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
That would be pretty sweet and it should have happened a long time ago.

This will make them an absolute ton of extra revenue. People who can't afford Canucks tickets will go see the farm team instead.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
It'll happen. As soon as news broke about Utica, you could assume things were in order.

Sounds like some crazy switching around next season for the AHL.

Appears Peoria will be the team moving to Abbotsford. Heat to Utica, and some other affiliation changes.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
It'll happen. As soon as news broke about Utica, you could assume things were in order.

Sounds like some crazy switching around next season for the AHL.

Appears Peoria will be the team moving to Abbotsford. Heat to Utica, and some other affiliation changes.

Should help Abby's attendance issues, lower mainland is Canucks crazy and it's an affordable option for those who want to support the team.

But it's some craycray shuffling for sure.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It's great news. Fans will more likely want to go the games in Abbotsford since it's the Canucks affiliate. Not sure what the attendance is now for the Heat, but I'd assume it'd be better if the Wolves moved there.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
I see the RT by Ziemer mentioned this would all be 'done' by Mar 23rd

What's the relevance of the 23rd?
I believe that's the deadline when affiliations and relocations must be proposed for approval by the BOG.

The AHL has never been stable, you're lucky to have the same group of teams/affiliations for 2 years straight. Something seems to always be switching around.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Good for business in Abbotsford, but I'm a bit concerned about our guys playing there. Their travel schedule will be even worse than the Canucks'.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
It's great news. Fans will more likely want to go the games in Abbotsford since it's the Canucks affiliate. Not sure what the attendance is now for the Heat, but I'd assume it'd be better if the Wolves moved there.
Heat average about 3300-3500 per game.

Wolves, er anything else should be in the 5000-6000 range I would assume.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Good for business in Abbotsford, but I'm a bit concerned about our guys playing there. Their travel schedule will be even worse than the Canucks'.

I'm sure the Aquilinis will shovel money into the sleep doctor, diet, travel schedule management thing.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Heat average about 3300-3500 per game.

Wolves, er anything else should be in the 5000-6000 range I would assume.

Not to mention anytime the AHL Canucks affliate has played there the barn sold out or close to.

Will be good revenue for Abby for sure.

Love it for the call-ups and monitoriing of prospects, they'd only have to drive an hr.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the thing about the canucks owning the ahl affiliate is that they can straight up pay for charter flights/whatever the **** they want to make sure that the prospects get the best possible environment. there's not a ******* chance a team in abbotsford is going to bus anywhere so it might actually be beneficial to be this far out

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
the thing about the canucks owning the ahl affiliate is that they can straight up pay for charter flights/whatever the **** they want to make sure that the prospects get the best possible environment. there's not a ******* chance a team in abbotsford is going to bus anywhere so it might actually be beneficial to be this far out

Canucks also have a really good marketing staff and department which will likely trickle down into Abby. I see good things, there's a big potential for a lot of money with proper advertising and marketing. Even the Giants did well despite finishing dead last this year.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Travel sucks, but they'd have to get used to that for the NHL purposes and you don't see Heat players suffering. They've finished 3rd, 4th and 2nd in their 3 years there.

Would be good for the economy and market in Abbotsford and good for Canucks fans in the LM.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
The other thing to consider is that the AHL definitely wants other teams (like the California ones) to move their affiliates out west too.

The Heat NEVER made sense in Abbotsford. They never were seen as a permanent fixture.

The Canucks having their affiliate in Abbotsford makes tons of sense, and it also makes the AHL out West a permanent item. Look to see more teams now start to move their franchises out to California, Washington over the next several years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad