Canucks purchase the Peoria Rivermen (Post #162)

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
I've heard the complaints about travel but I still don't understand something. As far as I can tell most AHL teams take sleeper buses when they travel. Very few fly. For example recently the AHL interviewed Angelidis who said that “In Albany, my bus trips were two hours and we were taking Greyhounds. Down in Norfolk, we’re taking sleeper buses. I don’t know if it gets easier, but as you get older you learn to just deal with it.” Yes Albany might take buses for two hours but Norfolk had six hours or longer trips. That is the longest the Heat will have to fly. What is the difference between the Heat flying everywhere and other teams like Norfolk taking sleeper buses? If anything the sleeper buses mean that teams will be traveling longer.

This is the interview with Angelidis http://theahl.com/norfolk-bonding-on-the-road-p173934.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
If the Heat stay, what a disaster for that team next year.

The City wants them gone - don't have to cover their losses if they left
Fans want them gone - excitement of a full house with a Canucks farm team would be lost.

I'd expect a fairly successful boycott of the Heat next year if news got out that Aquilini was denied his offer simply because the Heat want to keep taking advantage of having their losses covered by the City of Abbotsford.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
If the Heat stay, what a disaster for that team next year.

The City wants them gone - don't have to cover their losses if they left
Fans want them gone - excitement of a full house with a Canucks farm team would be lost.

I'd expect a fairly successful boycott of the Heat next year if news got out that Aquilini was denied his offer simply because the Heat want to keep taking advantage of having their losses covered by the City of Abbotsford.

I think it's more likely that the Heat are gone as well, so no more AHL in Abbotsford for the time being.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I've heard the complaints about travel but I still don't understand something. As far as I can tell most AHL teams take sleeper buses when they travel. Very few fly. For example recently the AHL interviewed Angelidis who said that “In Albany, my bus trips were two hours and we were taking Greyhounds. Down in Norfolk, we’re taking sleeper buses. I don’t know if it gets easier, but as you get older you learn to just deal with it.†Yes Albany might take buses for two hours but Norfolk had six hours or longer trips. That is the longest the Heat will have to fly. What is the difference between the Heat flying everywhere and other teams like Norfolk taking sleeper buses? If anything the sleeper buses mean that teams will be traveling longer.

This is the interview with Angelidis http://theahl.com/norfolk-bonding-on-the-road-p173934.

There's still all the time-zone stuff and little things like that. But as a whole, yeah, i think you're right. The 'tough travel' thing is fairly overblown in the case of an Abbotsford AHL team.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
There's still all the time-zone stuff and little things like that. But as a whole, yeah, i think you're right. The 'tough travel' thing is fairly overblown in the case of an Abbotsford AHL team.

Hmm I hadn't thought of the time zone issues but like you said I don't think they would add enough time to make a significant difference.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Abbotsford and Dawson Creek both have very nice facilities run by Global Spectrum (Philadelphia Flyers) and both will have lost their anchor tenant hockey clubs and cost their respective cities a whack of money. Dawson Creek Rage of the NAHL had brutal travel and no geographic rival. The city did not embrace the team at all. Same with the Heat.
Run very fast if Global Spectrum offers to build your revenue generating ski condo a seven hour drive from the nearest mountain.

Karter

Feb 16, 2012
Sherbrooke
It would make way more sense for Vancouver to have Abbotsford and for St. Louis to have Chicago anyway. AHL swap.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
The Heat have a 10 year agreement with the City of Abbotsford.

Ok I I understand that. I'm not 100% on everything regarding this agreement but why would the Flames stay in Abbotsford if they were already planning to move to Utica regardless of what the Canucks did.

1. I know that one side of this agreement was about the city compensating the team if it was losing money on the year but what have the Heat given up going the other way? I don't believe that it is written in that they must stay before the 10 years are up no matter what(as evidenced by them looking for a new home)

2. The Heat are property of the Flames are they not? This isn't about a simple case of changing a team affiliation like some, if they change, the whole franchise moves with them does it not? Hence there would no longer be a team in Abbotsford if the Rivermen or some other team do not move there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad