Canucks purchase the Peoria Rivermen (Post #162)

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Langley already have Rivermen.

Depending on what happens with Phoenix, I'd like to see them go to Seattle (Abby being my first choice though) to gague peoples reaction and see if they could truly be an NHL market.

Well word around here was that the Heat were moving to Utica (I think it was Utica, somewhere in NY). So maybe that's an option for the Rivermen now.

edit: Beaten by mere minutes!

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
And why shouldn't they? They'll fill that building if it was Canucks prospects.

Screw em... let them keep the Heat and continue hemorrhaging money.

Yep.
If the Canucks were moving an AHL team to Abbotsford, I was actually planning on seeing a few games per season.
I'm sure many other people felt the same way.

I don't give a **** about the Flames prospects.

arsmaster*

And why shouldn't they? They'll fill that building if it was Canucks prospects.

Screw em... let them keep the Heat and continue hemorrhaging money.
It's ridiculous.

That guy obviously shouldn't be running that city.

In the words of Leona Lewis....keep bleeding, keep, keep bleeding....

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Yep.
If the Canucks were moving an AHL team to Abbotsford, I was actually planning on seeing a few games per season.
I'm sure many other people felt the same way.

I don't give a **** about the Flames prospects.

But have you heard about this Max Reinhart guy?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
It's ridiculous.

That guy obviously shouldn't be running that city.

In the words of Leona Lewis....keep bleeding, keep, keep bleeding....

He made a huge mistake.
They're probably going to be regretting it next year, and there is no way to fix it. The Canucks wont move an AHL team twice in two years.

arsmaster*

He made a huge mistake.
They're probably going to be regretting it next year, and there is no way to fix it. The Canucks wont move an AHL team twice in two years.

Exactly. Does he think he's holding the Canucks over a barrel or what?

There are obviously cities who want an AHL team, Abby's stuck with one that bleeds money, why not get one that would at least break you even, if not make money.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I hope Aquaman builds a new shiny arena right next to the Abbotsford one and puts his new farm team there just to spite.

(I know this is completely unrealistic)

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I hope Aquaman builds a new shiny arena right next to the Abbotsford one and puts his new farm team there just to spite.

They should buy 5 AHL teams and build 5 arenas directly around the Heat arena.

Allow nothing to get inside the circle of Aquilini, cut off all cash flow to the Heat. MUAHAHAHAHAH

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Knowing what I think I know about Aquilini, I wouldn't be surprised if he was/is trying to buy the entire arena (not just put the farm team in there)... If it was just getting an agreement to put the farm team there, I'd be pretty surprised if both sides couldn't make that work... Problems agreeing to the purchase price of the arena? To me, that makes more sense...

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
They should buy 5 AHL teams and build 5 arenas directly around the Heat arena.

Allow nothing to get inside the circle of Aquilini, cut off all cash flow to the Heat. MUAHAHAHAHAH

:laugh: I like it. Chilliwack, Aldergrove, Mission, Surrey and Fort Langley are all crying out for AHL teams.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007

He could have them play out of Roger's arena. Let's see how well the heat do when there is another more popular ahl team an hour away.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
Prospera Centre (~5000 seats) in Chilliwack?

Can we share the Pacific Coliseum with the Giants?

Other options I am unaware of in the Lower Mainland?

Or do they play out of Peoria?

Would suck to be a part of Fraser Valley Sports & Entertainment. Back pocket is likely going to take a bit of a beating....

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
History has shown that you don't need a very high IQ to work in the government, regardless of what country you live in.

True.

George-Bush-Funny.gif.bmp

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Prospera Centre (~5000 seats) in Chilliwack?

Can we share the Pacific Coliseum with the Giants?

Other options I am unaware of in the Lower Mainland?

Or do they play out of Peoria?

Would suck to be a part of Fraser Valley Sports & Entertainment. Back pocket is likely going to take a bit of a beating....
Langley's rink fits 5500 and has more suites than Chilliwack's rink.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
So according to this article, there wasn't enough time to work things out.

"There were time constraints, and at the end of the day, the city is not going to do a deal unless it's in the best interests of the taxpayers," Banman said.

"From my perspective, I thought it was an easy thing to do, because both parties were interested in having it done," he said. "I think the Canucks were interested in having their development team 65 kilometres away, and I think the city was interested in having a lease without a supply fee. Why or how it didn't get done, I don't know.

"Eventually, they ran out of time, basically. They should have had this done months ago. It was putting pressure on our staff, it was putting pressure on the league."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad