GDT: Canucks @ Panthers 1/19/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
It's really sad to see the wheels fall off so fast. It's not a team anymore. Nobody covers each other. It's open season in our zone. I don't know if they can fix it or not. It just looks like the same team we've had for years. Making the same mistakes. Nobody supports each other that there is even a possibility to pass the puck (that was one of our greatest achievements earlier in the season). Nobody drives to the net or fights to get into scoring position. It don't matter who coaches this team. There just isnt the talent on our roster.

Bolland, Jokinen signings are gonna haunt us for years. It's there first year of there contracts and they aint getting younger. We lose few bad contracts this off season but were stuck with new ones. Were handcuffed again

Now it's time to see if our leaders can rally this group. Come out storming from the all-star break and play that same hockey they did earlier. A team effort. Supporting each other and showing they give a damn out there or do they turtle into the old Panthers form.

I really hope not... I'm sick and tired of it

Jan 19, 2006
It's really sad to see the wheels fall off so fast. It's not a team anymore. Nobody covers each other. It's open season in our zone. I don't know if they can fix it or not. It just looks like the same team we've had for years. Making the same mistakes. Nobody supports each other that there is even a possibility to pass the puck (that was one of our greatest achievements earlier in the season). Nobody drives to the net or fights to get into scoring position. It don't matter who coaches this team. There just isnt the talent on our roster.

Bolland, Jokinen signings are gonna haunt us for years. It's there first year of there contracts and they aint getting younger. We lose few bad contracts this off season but were stuck with new ones. Were handcuffed again

Now it's time to see if our leaders can rally this group. Come out storming from the all-star break and play that same hockey they did earlier. A team effort. Supporting each other and showing they give a damn out there or do they turtle into the old Panthers form.

I kept thinking that same thing ... again... and again... as I endured that "game" last night.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh

Ya its pretty sad. I'm REALLY hoping the boys just saw the All Star break and that's where their minds were at. If not, we're screwed.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
At the game last night after we went down by two and it got chippy and our captain got hit late after a play in the face I said to my girlfriend there would definitely be a fight in the third. Then I remembered we are the Panthers (without Thornton). Glad he's coming back soon. We need the physicality desperately.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Nothing needs to be said over that was already stated but for those thinking that somehow next year we will take another leap foward from 80-90 points this year to 95-110 next year there is nothing in these youngsters or players that make me believe we will be much better than a bubble team.

Especially being handcuffed by Bolland and Jokinens contract.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Nothing needs to be said over that was already stated but for those thinking that somehow next year we will take another leap foward from 80-90 points this year to 95-110 next year there is nothing in these youngsters or players that make me believe we will be much better than a bubble team.

I totally agree

and it's got to the point that.. it's not even worth complaining about.. It's the same problems year after year.. Sad thing is. We had a lot so called top prospects coming up. Well there most now here. While I see promise I do not see any except Ekblad mounting into true 1rst liners.

Sure sure.. there still young.. bla bla bla we've heard that before. There all getting the same bad habits this team always had. Either we find why this happens or were toast now and in the future.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
I totally agree

and it's got to the point that.. it's not even worth complaining about.. It's the same problems year after year.. Sad thing is. We had a lot so called top prospects coming up. Well there most now here. While I see promise I do not see any except Ekblad mounting into true 1rst liners.

Sure sure.. there still young.. bla bla bla we've heard that before. There all getting the same bad habits this team always had. Either we find why this happens or were toast now and in the future.

Think it could be coaching/grooming at the minor league level? Ek and Barkov (maybe Bjugs too, without looking it up) have really been the only two who have stepped right on to the big league club. Everyone else has went through the minors. It's a guess but it could be part of the problem. Their system not translating well to ours.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Think it could be coaching/grooming at the minor league level? Ek and Barkov (maybe Bjugs too, without looking it up) have really been the only two who have stepped right on to the big league club. Everyone else has went through the minors. It's a guess but it could be part of the problem. Their system not translating well to ours.

Yes, that too. We still rush prospects. I would kept Trocheck down all year and rather had Shore up. This would let Trocheck develop correctly and we wouldn't had been forced to move Shore.

Should Barkov stayed in Finland for one more year? Maybe. Then start in AHL this season.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

Yeah, there is close to $10M reasons why you never hand that kind of money to a UFA long term. You are not only going to keep prospects in the AHL longer than needed, but kill their vision of ever becoming a Panther. I think Potvin mentioned last night that Vrbata was one of only a few UFA's signed that are actually earning their money. Fans complain that we are not a destination for some quality UFA's or that Tallon didn't have the money to go after some of them, but very few actually pan out unless they are added to a very talented team.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014

nah me neither :( beeing a bubble team doesn't fill our arena either
tbh, i hate watching home games .

also; jokinen will be next years flash i guarantee it.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Yes, that too. We still rush prospects. I would kept Trocheck down all year and rather had Shore up. This would let Trocheck develop correctly and we wouldn't had been forced to move Shore.

Should Barkov stayed in Finland for one more year? Maybe. Then start in AHL this season.
Shore sent back to Adirondack as his play for one game in Calgary must have not impressed enough.

I'd like to see them bring Butler up as he certainly deserves a shot. The only problem with that is the waiver issue at some point, and some team might actually like to strengthen their own AHL affiliate.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Shore sent back to Adirondack as his play for one game in Calgary must have not impressed enough.

I'd like to see them bring Butler up as he certainly deserves a shot. The only problem with that is the waiver issue at some point, and some team might actually like to strengthen their own AHL affiliate.

If another team claims Butler, he has to stay on the NHL squad. If they waive him, he goes to SA.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

While I agree, wasn't really referring to how soon we bring guys up. I was referring to how they are coached down there. When was the last time we brought a guy up from San Antonio/Rochester that actually came here and played consistently well and turned in to a top tier player?

I think the way they are coached down there and how soon they are brought up here together are definite culprits here.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Yeah, there is close to $10M reasons why you never hand that kind of money to a UFA long term. You are not only going to keep prospects in the AHL longer than needed, but kill their vision of ever becoming a Panther. I think Potvin mentioned last night that Vrbata was one of only a few UFA's signed that are actually earning their money. Fans complain that we are not a destination for some quality UFA's or that Tallon didn't have the money to go after some of them, but very few actually pan out unless they are added to a very talented team.

Look at the bright side! Once Versteeg and Kuba are officially of the books, Tallon can add Jokinen and Bolland. :naughty:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
on the other hand, they managed to get some wins without any offence, without any pp etc. in the long run that doesn't hold up.
we're like the total opposite of toronto and beeing somewhere in the middle wouldn't hurt yeah?
now i'm not saying that it's all over but the playoffs seem very far away right now imo.

i'm expecting us to draft within 8-12 when it's all over. terrible for the franchise

It would be almost impossible for us to draft 8th. We will be drafting at #11-12 at lowest, which is a great step for a franchise that finished 29th last season.

Last edited:

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Look at the bright side! Once Versteeg and Kuba are officially of the books, Tallon can add Jokinen and Bolland. :naughty:

I hate you for mentioning that. And for mentioning Kuba and Versteeg. Double hate for you, sir.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
While I agree, wasn't really referring to how soon we bring guys up. I was referring to how they are coached down there. When was the last time we brought a guy up from San Antonio/Rochester that actually came here and played consistently well and turned in to a top tier player?

I think the way they are coached down there and how soon they are brought up here together are definite culprits here.

Jason Garrison?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
One of the most telling things I heard last night was when Potvin quoted Gallant in saying the team is 85% hard work and 15% talent when it comes to winning games.

That's almost saying you need a perfect game to win every game. One critical error, and the team will be unable to make up the deficit.

It 's a talent driven league. Every team that wins has a star player beyond the goalie. Panthers have Luongo, and I'd argue that's 9% of that 15% he mentioned.

Can't sustain that kind of perfection for 82 games. And even more is that supports Dale Tallon's feeling of "I'm happy how this team is performing."

They can make the playoffs. They still can. I believe it. Buts the ebbs and flows of a season will be magnified when this team goes on any streak because of the deficit in talent the team does start almost every game with.

Tallon being happy with how the team is performing is not equivalent to Tallon being content with the position this team is currently in(9th place and currently out of the playoffs.). Of course he'd have to be happy with how they've performed this far into the season, for all the reasons you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad