GDT: Canucks @ Panthers 1/19/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
naaah but in recent history there seems to be at least one club per season who makes that jump.

2000/2001 - NYI dead last in the league.
2001/2002 - NYI makes the playoffs 5th in the Eastern
Anaheim tied for 4th worst in the league.
2002/2003 - Anaheim makes the playoffs 7th in the West
San José 14th in the West
2003/2004 - San José finishes 2nd in the West
2004/2005 - Lockout
2005/2006 - Pittsburgh is dead last in the league
2006/2007 - Pens have 105 pts at the end of the season
Philly dead last, Washington 4th worst in the leauge
2007/2008 - Both makes the playoffs
The Blues is 4th worst in the league
2008/2009 - St. Louis goes to the playoffs
Colorado is last in the West, 3rd overall
2009/2010 - The Avs makes the playoffs
The Lightnings gets 80 pts, finish tied for 6th worst in the league
2010/2011 - Tampa Bay gets 103 pts
We're last in the East with 72 points
2011/2012 - We made the playoffs (waaay :handclap:)
The Habs last in the east, NYI 2nd to last. The Ducks & The Leafs are tied for 5th worst in the league
2012/2013 - Habs is 2nd best in the East, The Ducks 2nd best in the West, NYI & Toronto makes the playoffs.
Colorado 2nd worst in the league.
2013/2014 - The Avs get 105 points.
We're 2nd worst team in the league, NYI is 3rd to last in the East and 5th in the league, Calgary is 4th last, Vancouver is tied for 6th worst in the league, Winnipeg is tied for 8th worst.
2014/2014 RIGHT NOW; NYI leads the East, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary is 5th-6th-8th in the west and we're juuuust outside the playoffs.

now i'm not saying that it's super easy to make that jump from bottom to playoffs but it's possible.

It happens, but just because it may not happen to the Panthers this year doesn't mean they're destined for mediocrity. This team has a ton of talent, much like Chicago in 07/08. One thing to note with most of those teams that go from worst to playoffs is that they were wildly inconsistent. Some years they're in, others they're out. I'd love a playoff berth, but this franchise isn't dead if they fail to make it.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
It happens, but just because it may not happen to the Panthers this year doesn't mean they're destined for mediocrity. This team has a ton of talent, much like Chicago in 07/08. One thing to note with most of those teams that go from worst to playoffs is that they were wildly inconsistent. Some years they're in, others they're out. I'd love a playoff berth, but this franchise isn't dead if they fail to make it.

yeah, no but that was my only point. that it does happen. for some teams it happens and they stay up there for a long time tho but not the majority no but it does happen nonetheless.

edit/add: but isn't it weird tho how some teams manage to establish themselves as a top team after they've sucked for a couple of years and we just never can? whats even more remarkable is that no one cares or shows any emotions. we're so used to losing that it's fine by now but who the **** cares right? no pressure from the fans of this club to win at all..

Last edited:

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
yeah, no but that was my only point. that it does happen. for some teams it happens and they stay up there for a long time tho but not the majority no but it does happen nonetheless.

My whole point was that a much more sustainable way to build a team is to take it one step at a time. I don't feel like looking the numbers up, but I'd imagine a majority of the teams that went from "worst to first" had some kind of ridiculous shooting/save percentages that aren't a long-term solution for success. The Panthers are near the bottom in PDO this season and are still in contention. That's a good sign for the future if you ask me.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: are u serious? we have seen him play half a season and you're already mentioning him in the same sentence as those guys.. REALLY man?

So in this case you're able justify your argument that it's too early tell if Ek isn't, but at the same time you're saying that the season is about done for the team considering the playoffs. You gotta work on your consistency in reasoning. And I'd prefer you read everything I've said, and not cherry pick the words. Add this into the mix: "Time will tell..."

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
My whole point was that a much more sustainable way to build a team is to take it one step at a time. I don't feel like looking the numbers up, but I'd imagine a majority of the teams that went from "worst to first" had some kind of ridiculous shooting/save percentages that aren't a long-term solution for success. The Panthers are near the bottom in PDO this season and are still in contention. That's a good sign for the future if you ask me.

yeah it sure is. we do take a bunch of low % shots and if we would have had few players can acually score and put up points, PDO wouldn't be so low. we always makes the goalie look like a venezia trophy winner and it's just not bad luck but also lack of skill.

i'm just so sick of hearing about this future now that i think i'm gonna puke.
no one else feel this way?

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

edit/add: but isn't it weird tho how some teams manage to establish themselves as a top team after they've sucked for a couple of years and we just never can? whats even more remarkable is that no one cares or shows any emotions. we're so used to losing that it's fine by now but who the **** cares right? no pressure from the fans of this club to win at all..

Pressure from the fans, huh. Seems to work like a charm in Toronto.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
yeah it sure is. we do take a bunch of low % shots and if we would have had few players can acually score and put up points, PDO wouldn't be so low. we always makes the goalie look like a venezia trophy winner and it's just not bad luck but also lack of skill.

I prefer to look at the big picture. This team has more young talent than at any other point in its history. It just takes time to develop.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Be prepared for the long haul because these kids won't start playing like 24yo's until 2-4 years from now.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
So in this case you're able justify your argument that it's too early tell if Ek isn't, but at the same time you're saying that the season is about done for the team considering the playoffs. You gotta work on your consistency in reasoning. And I'd prefer you read everything I've said, and not cherry pick the words. Add this into the mix: "Time will tell..."

ok, let me try again;

Ekblad = Piets. :laugh: More like Bourque or Lids. Time will tell, but Ek is awfully close to what his importance is to this team when looking at how important Crosby was/is to PIT.

oh yeah real close. he's putting up 105 pts and is boosting the attendence alot. :sarcasm:

Pressure from the fans, huh. Seems to work like a charm in Toronto.

i forgot there's no middle ground. sorry.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I was at a buddy's place watching the game last night. I missed the 1st and the first quarter of the 2nd. Obviously they were already down 2- 0 by then.

From what I saw, we played pretty good. I thought we out played them for the most part. Really good 3rd. Nice to see Pirri get on the board.

Basically I saw a 1-0 win. I'll take the blame for the loss guys, should of tuned in for the whole game :laugh:

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site

I feel this way, because being on this board for 12 years, and only a playoff team in one of those, it seems like an almost perpetual rebuild with these guys. Countless owners, GMs, coaches, and players that are the "future" stars, or core of this team. Come to think of it, the Panthers are a perfect HockeysFuture team. It's always about young players or prosepcts who are up and coming, the future. And it never gets here. It gets old, and yes, I'm sick of it.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Be prepared for the long haul because these kids won't start playing like 24yo's until 2-4 years from now.

we should have plenty of good players by now the way we've been sucking, just saying.
i'm sorry that i'm not super excited when we've lost 4 games in a row and think everything is fine when we're a club that desperatly needs some success.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I feel this way, because being on this board for 12 years, and only a playoff team in one of those, it seems like an almost perpetual rebuild with these guys. Countless owners, GMs, coaches, and players that are the "future" stars, or core of this team. Come to think of it, the Panthers are a perfect HockeysFuture team. It's always about young players or prosepcts who are up and coming, the future. And it never gets here. It gets old, and yes, I'm sick of it.

if I'd point to one thing it would be horrific lst round drafting this century.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
we should have plenty of good players by now the way we've been sucking, just saying.
i'm sorry that i'm not super excited when we've lost 4 games in a row and think everything is fine when we're a club that desperatly needs some success.

It's just so hard to preach patience anymore, when this is a fanbase that has about run out of it. Look at the empty arena. Even long time, die-hards that know better felt like maybe this team was different, maybe they're turning the corner. Then this happens, and all those worries and fears and concerns that this is the same old Panthers comes rushing back. I am damn angry and tired of waiting, and I deserve to be.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I'm just looking at our february scheduel and it looks really tough, could lose them all. We can go from being a playoff-team to a lottery team in the next month..

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
oh gawd didn't even think about the dreaded february schedule :shakehead

Ima need A LOT of beer to get through February.

I really hope this team isn't packing it in and using "We're too young, schedule is too long" excuse, because that's complete and utter BS.

What I've seen in these last 4 games is 0 heart, 0 discipline, 0 motivation but 100 excuses. That WPG game destroyed Florida worse than I thought. Sucked the life right out of this team. Instead of forgetting the past and looking ahead to the next game, these guys are still playing like its the WPG game.

They look scared to make any play and when they do, usually it turns into a scoring chance for the opposing team.

I guess for some of you, using Tallons expired 5yr future plan is enough to make it easier if we full on die, I rest the blame on all 20 of the NHL players we ice. Fate is in their hands to make this right, not some 5yr plan.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
One of the most telling things I heard last night was when Potvin quoted Gallant in saying the team is 85% hard work and 15% talent when it comes to winning games.

That's almost saying you need a perfect game to win every game. One critical error, and the team will be unable to make up the deficit.

It 's a talent driven league. Every team that wins has a star player beyond the goalie. Panthers have Luongo, and I'd argue that's 9% of that 15% he mentioned.

Can't sustain that kind of perfection for 82 games. And even more is that supports Dale Tallon's feeling of "I'm happy how this team is performing."

They can make the playoffs. They still can. I believe it. Buts the ebbs and flows of a season will be magnified when this team goes on any streak because of the deficit in talent the team does start almost every game with.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Ima need A LOT of beer to get through February.

I really hope this team isn't packing it in and using "We're too young, schedule is too long" excuse, because that's complete and utter BS.

:laugh::laugh: yeah me too.

we're acually the 7th oldest team in the league. :shakehead
tampa is the youngest and they're pretty decent :sarcasm:

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
It wasn't pretty to be in attendance last night. There were plenty of boos during the power plays and fans screaming at individuals with their piss-poor efforts. Definitely one walk of shame I don't want to remember.

Overall, with the season, I'm pretty satisfied. I've seen a team that Luongo is carrying on his shoulders for the most part, but they have shown on certain nights that they can beat anyone. We're just out of a playoff spot, which is incredible compared to how we fared last season.

However, over the last four games, besides in Winnipeg where the team just looked exhausted from the trip have hardly shown the same positive effort as we've seen in games where we beat teams like the Ducks, Red Wings, etc. The problem is these few games where we achieved one point out of a possible eight could ruin their chances at playoffs.

I'm sick of Gallant's excuses to the media too because these are indeed paid professionals. There are days I'm absolutely exhausted at my own job, but I still make sure to do my role the best that I can for ten or eleven hours all day. Sure, it sucks that the arena isn't even getting 10k in attendance during the week against non-popular opponents, but can you blame casual fans for not showing up after performances like that?

I'm hoping the All-Star Break changes things. If not, I think you have to make some kind of small deal. The power play all season has looked beyond awful and if we're going to average two goals a game, that's not going to keep us even close to the playoff race with that February schedule coming.

Jan 19, 2006
It wasn't pretty to be in attendance last night. There were plenty of boos during the power plays and fans screaming at individuals with their piss-poor efforts. Definitely one walk of shame I don't want to remember.

Overall, with the season, I'm pretty satisfied. I've seen a team that Luongo is carrying on his shoulders for the most part, but they have shown on certain nights that they can beat anyone. We're just out of a playoff spot, which is incredible compared to how we fared last season.

However, over the last four games, besides in Winnipeg where the team just looked exhausted from the trip have hardly shown the same positive effort as we've seen in games where we beat teams like the Ducks, Red Wings, etc. The problem is these few games where we achieved one point out of a possible eight could ruin their chances at playoffs.

I'm sick of Gallant's excuses to the media too because these are indeed paid professionals. There are days I'm absolutely exhausted at my own job, but I still make sure to do my role the best that I can for ten or eleven hours all day. Sure, it sucks that the arena isn't even getting 10k in attendance during the week against non-popular opponents, but can you blame casual fans for not showing up after performances like that?

I'm hoping the All-Star Break changes things. If not, I think you have to make some kind of small deal. The power play all season has looked beyond awful and if we're going to average two goals a game, that's not going to keep us even close to the playoff race with that February schedule coming.

I used to feel that way.

Now I just look at it this way - what do Gallant or the team gain by having him air dirty laundry in the press?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad