Post-Game Talk: Canucks overcome Game Management to win in Shootout 5-4

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No doubt the Canucks benefit from game management, probably in the last few years more than an average team. Of course, fans always remember the games stolen from them more than the help given them. Obviously in their days as President Trophy winners, as a strong team that usually had the lead, they'd get hammered by the refs.

Reffing to help the team that is behind imo hurts the credibility of the league and makes the games more entertainment than sport.

2010-2013 was a joke. We actually did get screwed. We went like 40 games at one point without getting more PPs than the opposition in a game.

What's happening now isn't the same thing. If anything, we're one of the bad teams getting help from referees more often than not. It drives me nuts when people totally ignore when we get huge breaks from the refs and then whine to high heaven when something goes against us.

Like, not a single person here mentioned 'game management' when we got 3 3rd period PPs when chasing the lead against Edmonton. Then we get one PP against us last night and THE LEAGUE HATES US WE GOT SCREWED. It's Jack Edwards-ism and its f***ing annoying.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
2010-2013 was a joke. We actually did get screwed. We went like 40 games at one point without getting more PPs than the opposition in a game.

What's happening now isn't the same thing. If anything, we're one of the bad teams getting help from referees more often than not. It drives me nuts when people totally ignore when we get huge breaks from the refs and then whine to high heaven when something goes against us.

Like, not a single person here mentioned 'game management' when we got 3 3rd period PPs when chasing the lead against Edmonton. Then we get one PP against us last night and THE LEAGUE HATES US WE GOT SCREWED. It's Jack Edwards-ism and its f***ing annoying.

Also you know, they could have killed the penalty and not gotten scored on 6v5 for the billionth time? Our play down a man has been epically bad.

Excusing them for giving up 2 goals in the last 4 minutes because TEHH REFFS is so pathetic, especially when the refs bailed us out in the first period, letting Highmore get away with a blatant penalty on Farabee.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Also you know, they could have killed the penalty and not gotten scored on 6v5 for the billionth time? Our play down a man has been epically bad.

Excusing them for giving up 2 goals in the last 4 minutes because TEHH REFFS is so pathetic, especially when the refs bailed us out in the first period, letting Highmore get away with a blatant penalty on Farabee.

And letting OEL get away with an obvious delay of game penalty. And not calling it when Provorov was mauled cutting into the slot. We got some huge reffing breaks early in that game when we were getting dominated. Fans here would have been absolutely losing their minds if that series of calls had gone against us.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Had left him on the bench too long and didn't think it was fair to Podz to expect him to be able to get his legs going after sitting too long. Sat because of the flow of the game, match-ups on the road etc. Has been that guy that sits for first 7-8 mins of a period, to be thrown over the boards and be expected to create some energy. Didn't think it was fair to Podz, nor putting him in a position for success and didn't want to risk his confidence in case a mistake cost them in a close game.

On the positive side, didn't sound like Green had a negative view of Podkolzin's game, just poor bench management I guess.
Is that the coaching equivalent of we ran out of time?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The play that led to Shortys brain fart kind of got ignored I feel. The Flyers player snuck out of the zone while on the PK so that he could come up behind Hughes and just muscle him off the puck, leading to a short handed breakaway. We’ve seen this before of course but it really stuck out to me just how targeted it was and I wonder how much of a thing this will be with Hughes on the point on the PP. if they had scored and shorty didn’t yell “great save by Corey Hirsch” I think we’d be talking about this more.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Watching the game now with 2:30 left in the game and the Canucks need to learn a Killer instinct to put away less than average teams like the Flyers.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Watching the game now with 2:30 left in the game and the Canucks need to learn a Killer instinct to put away less than average teams like the Flyers.
Flyers IMO are a pretty good team, with god awful goaltending.
Hart being bad is not a anomaly, The guy technically is a disaster, If they added a decent goalie, they could go on a run easily.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Flyers IMO are a pretty good team, with god awful goaltending.
Hart being bad is not a anomaly, The guy technically is a disaster, If they added a decent goalie, they could go on a run easily.

The Flyers have a long history of signing really bad goaltenders. Martin Jones shouldn't be in the league because his game is so horrible. Hart is just fundamentally horrible.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Flyers have a long history of signing really bad goaltenders. Martin Jones shouldn't be in the league because his game is so horrible. Hart is just fundamentally horrible.

It's crazy how it's been a consistent theme since the early 1990s.

Hey Burkie! That's an actual goalie graveyard.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
AV is going to have to flip a coin again to decide who starts. Only now for the opposite reasons as when he was here.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
It's crazy how it's been a consistent theme since the early 1990s.

Hey Burkie! That's an actual goalie graveyard.

When Bryzgalov was a free agent and was looking to sign for big money with the Flyers. Myself and every single Coyotes beat writer (when I was on the Coyotes beat) said not to sign him for a huge payday. They ignored us and the rest is history.

Flyers gonna Flyer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad