Post-Game Talk: Canucks overcome Game Management to win in Shootout 5-4

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Never in Doubt

Congratulations to Rookie Vasily on his First NHL Goal. Hopefully the first of many, many more.

The benching is a head scratcher, let’s see if there’s more to the story or it’s a Coaching decision
AA295ED4-662C-4D60-86E0-C30184C8BBE8.gif

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Canucks overcome incompetent coaching to win in Shootout 5-4

Team is way to static during PK's and 6-5's. We've seen this the past 2 years. Demko and the offense was superb, but the Canucks got some fortuitous bounces this game. Need to see way better from here on out.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
It was a weird game that the Flyers probably win with better goaltending, but 2 points is 2 points and I loved Podz getting a goal.

coaching will make this team just miss the playoffs, calling it now.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Detroit then what? Buffalo?

Good teams would see this as an opportunity to pick up 6 of a possible 7 points to start a season... I think we're there.
Lets get it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Detroit then what? Buffalo?

Good teams would see this as an opportunity to pick up 6 of a possible 7 points to start a season... I think we're there.
Lets get it.
It’s doable. Cross fingers. Detroit is an up n comer, Buffalo hung 5 on Montreal yesterday.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
3 out of 4 points so far on the road trip. Good start!

Just hope that Green plays a more offensive style to extend a lead rather than preserve one. I can understand the conservative mindset of trusting certain guys in critical moments but not in a situation like this, you ride the hot hand against a goalie that is just letting in softies.

More importantly, this roster isn't designed for close games and physical grind fests, we aren't going to win with superior defense and turtling but by scoring more. And it helps preserve our thin D Corps health to not have them continually block and hemmed in our zone.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The most encouraging game I've seen in a while. Usually when we win these types of games, there's extended periods of also being hemmed in our zone, blocking shots and backing in towards the net. Basically none of that happened, which was surprising. Instead, dmen were chipping pucks over to nearby players who had other teammates poised to receive short, high percentage passes.

Even when we were being abused in first, there was no lapsing into our prior bad habits of turning every dzone play into a PK.

Yes, Green should have played Pod more after his goal. But there may actually be changes coming to his system. Dare to dream, I guess?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
OEL looks like a stud.
Steady, few unforced errors, and he might be having an influence on Myers.
Myers still makes mistakes... lol ..and its always noticeable cuz of how big he is, but Myers does more good things out there ...i wonder if OEL has something to do with that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Reposting from the other thread - I hate making posts immediately before the thread is closed.

That was a freaking weird game. Was like 3 totally different games in one.

First period we were absolutely dismantled and Thatcher Demko was the only reason it wasn't 3-0. Absolutely brutal performance.

Second period was more even but the hapless Carter Hart just completely disintegrated and gifted us an undeserved lead.

Third period we actually played a really good road period for 18 minutes ... and then fouled it up late. Might not be surprising it looked like they ran out of gas after running 9 forwards for two periods.

Green ... ugh. Benches a kid after his first goal to protect a lead and then can't even protect the lead.

- Demko was excellent and the numbers don't reflect how well he played. Terrific.

- Hughes-Poolman were a nightmare in the first period but then played well the rest of the way. Poolman is very limited with the puck on his stick. Hughes has shifts where he defends well and then ... yuck.

- OEL was solid. Myers had a struggle aside from a great series of plays on the Podkolzin goal.

- Burroughs continues to be a revelation. Just really solid. Rathbone is hit-and-miss. I'll need some convincing his upside isn't Vince Dunn.

- Hoglander wasn't as dynamic with the puck as against Edmonton but was all over the place defensively. Is driving play and turning into a top-quality two-way player. Green - as usual a day late and a dollar short - did figure out eventually he belonged on the top line.

- Pettersson is ... ehh. The all-energy player moving his feet all over the ice in the first month of his career seems like a different person a very long time ago. Waits for the play to come to him instead of going out and making things happen. Supremely talented and he'll get his points ... but you feel he could be more.

- Miller had a LOL 3-point game. Was so bad early and then basically just fluked 3 points.

- Horvat line got better as the game went along. Garland isn't fully clicking but he had a solid performance tonight. Flashes moments that are really fun. Pearson is just a big slug who should be load-managed to 13-14 minutes/game to try and preserve his skating. Playing him 20 minutes is going to make him unplayable before long - as we saw last year.

- Highmore-Dickinson on your 3rd line is simply not good enough offensively. Both guys are black holes. They'll do the right things defensively but simply will never score.

- thought Lammikko and the 4th line struggled. Got pinned badly defensively a few times - one of them totally Green's fault for sticking them in a terrible matchup - and were then benched.

- Podkolzin. I thought he was really poor in the first and rightly moved off the top line. Then he scores a beauty goal right at the start of the 2nd period. If you want to bench him for the last 10-12 minutes protecting a lead ... fair enough. But to essentially bench a rookie for 40 minutes right after scoring is HATEHATEHATE. So profoundly negative. Not how any fan wants to see their team approach the game, not an attitude from the coaching staff that fans can be proud of.​

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
THE RECAP

SUPER impressed with how this team overcome a juiced up opposition in their home opener. After the first we absolutely dominated. Not a single player I am not particularly impressed with tonight.

HOWEVER

What the referees did to us was a stain on hockey. Still, very impressed the guys came together to scrape a couple points out of the situation. Many know and the new Canucks will find out: Often we have to play against the refs as well as the other team.

On to Detroit. Fully expecting another two points tomorrow.

This Canucks team is good. So excited for this season!

Reactions: Jimnastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad