Post-Game Talk: Canucks overcome Game Management to win in Shootout 5-4

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Didn’t we do the same thing to Arturs Silovs last year? And had it spelt Silvos?

Get it together, equipment team!
chong-smokingpipe.gif

Reactions: Indiana

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I will echo what someone else said that while the first period was painful he did get a bit better. He talks too much and tries too hard to be goofy and self deprecating like Garrett and it just doesn’t work. But I didn’t hate him as much in the third.
I give Hirsch some leash because, like someone said, he does seem like a good dude, and he shared some pretty personal stuff in the name of mental health awareness. It’s hard for me to bag too hard on him. That said, yeah, he’s not upper echelon for me as a colour guy.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I give Hirsch some leash because, like someone said, he does seem like a good dude, and he shared some pretty personal stuff in the name of mental health awareness. It’s hard for me to bag too hard on him. That said, yeah, he’s not upper echelon for me as a colour guy.
Good call.
He just needs to understand, and figure out, how to find the balance of someone chatting with his buddy watching the game - and professionalism of being on TV.

I would give him a bit of a leash.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I'm wary to comment on the early play of OEL, as a few months from now will show whether or not this might be long-term - but sheeeeeeit, very impressed so far.

The-Wire-SHIT-Clay-Davis.gif

Reactions: Canuckle1970

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The good news is a win is a win, and Podz popping his first ever NHL goal.

Otherwise really just another game we've come to expect from a Green-coached team. Absolutely terrible first period and bailed out only by the brilliance of Demko.

Stake themselves to 3-1 and 4-2 leads on the basis of a nightmarish evening by Carter Hart. Then comes the task of protecting a lead, which most playoff teams can do in their sleep. But not the Canucks. They really can't win 2-1 or 3-2 games when they have to shut things down because they don't seem to have any defensive structure they can trust. And once they start running around, the panic threshold rises.

We've been seeing the same song and dance for four seasons. But the only guy who can change the narrative is Benning. And it'll have to start behind the bench.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I counted 3 high percentage chances in the first period and the goal wasn't one of them. That was just a fluky bounce off a defender's skate of an initial save on a perimeter shot. I say high percentage though, an above average goalie stops 2 and an elite performance is all 3. I think the average goalie lets in 1 or 2 of those. The rest of the shots aside from those 3 high percentage shots, while the Flyers definitely had possession for the majority of the period, were from the perimeter. Great performance by Demko but lets keep the 'would have been a blow-out' praise in perspective. With average goaltending (as in mid-tier starter in the league) it's probably still a 2-0 score.

The second period, the Flyers clearly ran out of gas and took some dumb penalties. Hart was having an off game on his rebound control and positioning. If he had just held his position instead of turning his back on the one, it's a blow down by the refs. Just mental errors that led to goals on him. After that, the Flyers were clearly deflated. The third was all Canucks until a highly questionable call on OEL, followed by a blown icing call. Our PK and extra attacker D needs to be better; four guys standing around the net and it goes in? What's going on there?

Canucks had possession for the OT period, but didn't cash in. Hart finally blew a tire in the SO, over-committing on the initial fakes of both dekes. Canucks got robbed of the ROW here, but whatever, at least it wasn't against a Western team.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I hate Chassion anywhere other than the 4th line when we're even strength, (and not even there once Motte gets back) but you know I did actually start liking him as a net front guy on the PP in this game. I can see it working if you just bring him out for powerplays.

Loved OEL tonight. Wow. Mid-season form right out of the gate. Did not see that coming.

Pettersson is looked a little better with every game, and that's really encouraging. Shaking off the rust.

Hughes is not playing as bad as everyone is on about. A couple of giveaways that resulted in prime scoring chances, but his overall game is looking better. He's still figuring it out. Not worried about him at all.

Podz getting his first goal was glorious. Love this player. Needs time to play so he can figure out the North American game, but he's full of confidence and that's going to carry him a long way, and that's what I wanted to see. That he's scoring too is just gravy.

Lammikko might actually be an NHL player. Also did not see that coming. Like him more than Juolevi. Trade was worthwhile.

Demko is god. Loving his game right now. Looks so solid. The players in front of him have so much confidence in him. As opposed to watching the Philly players in front of Hart. Wow, so glad he's not our goalie. He's a mess.

Meyers was a difference maker in the 2nd. Also did not see that coming. Really like the way he's started the season. We might just have to find a brand new whipping boy if he keeps this up. My vote thus far is for it to be Coach Green.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kreator and Indiana

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Notes:
Hirsch might just need some 'seasoning'...

There is some potential there.

Speaking of potential: our OT shows our team's potential and skill.

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Notes:
Hirsch might just need some 'seasoning'...

There is some potential there.

He was right about the Canucks needing the 5-2 goal though, was right about Hart fighting it and right that the Flyers lacked confidence in him. I like to focus more on goaltending when watching the game, so I find his analysis good there. Yes, he's having a hard time endearing himself to the fans but he does have good observations, especially when it comes to goaltending. Garrett is quite likeable and his self deprecation lands better, but I find that his takes on goaltending are a product of the era he played in. Hirsch has better insight in that area.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
He was right about the Canucks needing the 5-2 goal though, was right about Hart fighting it and right that the Flyers lacked confidence in him. I like to focus more on goaltending when watching the game, so I find his analysis good there. Yes, he's having a hard time endearing himself to the fans but he does have good observations, especially when it comes to goaltending. Garrett is quite likeable and his self deprecation lands better, but I find that his takes on goaltending are a product of the era he played in. Hirsch has better insight in that area.

Agreed.
Plus, coming from a 10 year 'tender myself, I appreciate his thoughts on this.
He, also, gives John a bit of a break....
Cheech is great, but the pressure is always on the big John to carry the convo.

There is potential here...
When you 'watch' the game, ice level, 90 percent of the time, you might pick up a few things..

Edit: Garrett is not that self deprecating and friendly in person... :)
Still love that mustached guy.

Mustaches....makes me laugh

Last edited:

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I think he’s got about 5x the grit of Raymond, which is probably why Raymond never went to the net. Garland seems like a sht disturber too which is always a plus.
Boom.
Not a Honey Badger, - but a little wolverine.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Flat start..Decent 2nd..Great 3rd..Team had it in the bag..Canucks looking unreal in OT so far this season..
Watched the 2nd, end the 3rd, OT/SO...
Makes me wanna go back and watch the beginning of the 3rd.

Team, felt good. I like it so far. Like the D, Demko, special teams... The lines..
Liked the juggle.
Hated how passive the team was with the empty net... Same as how they acted vs the Oilers PP.. way too passive and focused on blocking passing lanes/plays instead of being aggressive. They need to mix it up more to keep the other team's PP off balance...

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Lots and lots and lots of huge and ugly warts right now on the Nucks but they have a huge amount of offensive skill that will lead to some decent results like this until games tighten up.

Tough to tell how good this team actually is still. They look even worse then I though they might be but they have 3/4 pts.

Positives thus far:

1. Pettersson looks 100%
2. OEL looks like at least a top 2 d-man
3. Myers has only been partial awful and not Gudbranson awful
4. Podkolzin doesn't look to be an offensive black-hole
5. Miller still puts up points despite being frustrating as hell

Negatives:

1. OMG is that PK a trainwreck
2. Horvat at 50% faceoffs, everyone else who is taking them is under 40%. That's yikes
3. The defense is still... "work in progress" is generous
4. The lines still seem to be in flux and a mess
5. Demko only looks dialed-in during stretches

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Lots and lots and lots of huge and ugly warts right now on the Nucks but they have a huge amount of offensive skill that will lead to some decent results like this until games tighten up.

Tough to tell how good this team actually is still. They look even worse then I though they might be but they have 3/4 pts.

Positives thus far:

1. Pettersson looks 100%
2. OEL looks like at least a top 2 d-man
3. Myers has only been partial awful and not Gudbranson awful
4. Podkolzin doesn't look to be an offensive black-hole
5. Miller still puts up points despite being frustrating as hell

Negatives:

1. OMG is that PK a trainwreck
2. Horvat at 50% faceoffs, everyone else who is taking them is under 40%. That's yikes
3. The defense is still... "work in progress" is generous
4. The lines still seem to be in flux and a mess
5. Demko only looks dialed-in during stretches
How come?

Obviously Boeser is one reason...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad