Pre-Game Talk: Canucks@Oilers Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I swear to god if Green puts Chaisson in the top 6 even with Boeser injured over Hog I’ll lose it.
giphy.gif

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
With that being said I don't hate Hoglander on the 3rd line at all. As I said last year he is an ideal third liner on an actual contender.
Whats your reasoning if you dont mind me asking? Looking at his ES stats makes me think he definitely could be a contenders 2nd line winger unless the team was uber stacked.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Rathbone scratched to start the year is reminiscent of Boeser scratched for the first game of his rookie season

Green just cant help himself.

but Im more of the opinion that if Rathbone wont be played he should be sent down. He isnt going to get the looks or position he needs to succeed behind OEL and Hughes on the PP

Reactions: Indiana

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hunt & Rathbone will probably split the first 4 games (and possibly some back to backs), Green’s way of easing rookies in as he did with Boeser.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Boeser looked like a first line player that camp. Rathbone barely distinguished himself. Completely different.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I think people really need to come with the understanding that green is not the biggest hoglander fan.
Multiple interviews last year, and this year in training camp, going out of his way to mention he was poor, even tho he was 1 of our best preseason guys.

Is it motivation? I don't think so, I just think that green sees him as a third liner, and was "forced" to put him on the 2nd line last year

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Hunt in over Boner...... that must have been a hard decision
Hunt - Age 33
Rathbone - Age 22

Very easy decision for Green there.

I think people really need to come with the understanding that green is not the biggest hoglander fan.
Multiple interviews last year, and this year in training camp, going out of his way to mention he was poor, even tho he was 1 of our best preseason guys.

Is it motivation? I don't think so, I just think that green sees him as a third liner, and was "forced" to put him on the 2nd line last year

This is why I really wanted to see another coach come in. Green possesses the same tunnel vision that Benning does. Once he's set on something, it's very tough to break.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'm a bigger fan of hunt that most but the fact a 30+ one dimension career bottom pair nhl ahl tweener made this team and is starting game one should speak volumes.

Reactions: geebaan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
My gawd, we haven't even started the season yet and I'm wishing again that when Benning vowed changes this off-season, his clean-sweep would have included the coaching staff.

Somebody should have walked the plank after the Canucks dismal 2021 season. But the only guy who left was Newell Brown, who took the fall for the 23rd rank pp.

Sweeping changes to the roster will come to naught with the same guy and same 'system' behind the bench.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
God, I hate Green.

The one good thing they did during the preseason to build chemistry and get off on the right foot was put Hoglander with Horvat, and that line looked really good. Immediately breaks it up. And buries Hoglander in defensive minutes.

Spends the whole preseason with Miller at C, immediately changes.

And my god. Brad Hunt and Luke Schenn are both in this team's best 6 defenders with 0 injuries.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
God, I hate Green.

The one good thing they did during the preseason to build chemistry and get off on the right foot was put Hoglander with Horvat, and that line looked really good. Immediately breaks it up. And buries Hoglander in defensive minutes.

Spends the whole preseason with Miller at C, immediately changes.

And my god. Brad Hunt and Luke Schenn are both in this team's best 6 defenders with 0 injuries.
It's really hard to look positively at this organisation when you have these incompetent idiots running it.

What's even more frustrating is that the veterans like Green because he favours them, so he's going to stick around for a while, I think.

We're just going to see this same old system of getting shelled with fire drill defense, letting the opponent constantly gain the zone. But hey, it's a country club for the vets, so this isn't going to be fixed.

Like, I don't like the roster at all, but with a better coach, it would be a tad easier to enjoy watching this team.

I think this will be another year of just having the game on in the background for me, with minimal investment.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
How does Garland not get onto PP1 with the injury to Boeser. Whoever drafted him in fantasy this year is gonna be disappointed.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
As much as everyone here has a Boner for Rathbone, I bet you Hunt gets the start vs Edmonton. One rookie mistake from Rathbone and Mcdavid and Drai will put it in the back of the net. Hunt is a proven NHL player and is much more reliable then Rathbone will be. People need to curve there expectation for Rathbone as he isnt a Quinn Hughes or Adam Fox level player

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Hunt-Schenn
Rathbone-Burroughs

Are we sure that's not just written backwards ?
I'd have Rathbone in, and just about anyb0dy in over Schenn based on his preseason. If OJ was shipped cause of his skating then what the hell is Schenn doing anywhere near our opening night roster.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
As much as everyone here has a Boner for Rathbone, I bet you Hunt gets the start vs Edmonton. One rookie mistake from Rathbone and Mcdavid and Drai will put it in the back of the net. Hunt is a proven NHL player and is much more reliable then Rathbone will be. People need to curve there expectation for Rathbone as he isnt a Quinn Hughes or Adam Fox level player

I agree Rathbone had some rookie mistake during preseason. Problem is where’s the standards when a guy like schenn was literally outplayed by almost every D at camp yet still gets a starting job.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Rathbone is a rookie sure, but the idea of having the veteran Hunt/Schenn pairing on the ice vs McDrai is just as sure to go badly imo. If it doesn't it will likely have a whole lot to do with Demko bailing them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad