Pre-Game Talk: Canucks@Oilers Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Don't think there's any question Lammikko joins the big club with Sutter out. Will likely be on one of our key PK guys.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Cannot wait, going to be an awesome season. We're shaping up to be a top 5-8 team in the NHL.

WE WILL WIN. YOU KNOW WE WILL.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

Sure we will because we just handily beat the Oilers in their barn with our stars not playing and with our backup goalie to boot.

Now back to reality as I just happened to slip into preseason alternate universe there for a bit.

Anyone watching the Canucks the last 2 preseason games and looking objectively at that back end has to be worried right?

Now maybe starting on the road will help with 4 games against non playoff teams and a 5th against the Kraken after the Oiler tilt but if they are in the hole they might be squeezing those sticks on that first home stand.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only hope in the opener is for the Canucks to stay out of the penalty box. Draisaitl and McDavid will eat them alive if they don't.

But that blueline is so ponderous and prone to turnovers, it's hard not to see how they don't draw a bunch of hooking and holding penalties. And it's a double whammy because the PK has been terrible throughout the pre-season. In fact, after a three week training camp, I have absolutely no idea which players the Canucks will actually employ on the PK.

With a six-game roadie to start things out, I just hope we aren't having the same dialogue about this team we had at the 10-game mark last season. It was apparent from the get-go they just weren't ready to start the season.

Reactions: Get North

Feb 20, 2013
Chiasson literally played with 2 of the best players in the world and did not much with it.
That team then let him walk for nothing in favor of noted all stars puljujarvi, yamamoto, kassian, perlini.

So he better be a brock placeholder, but it certainly doesn't seem like it from the way the coaches have used him the entirety of camp.

He is excellent on the powerplay but weak at even strength. Not completely useless, but not the sort of player I would want signed.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Without another shoe dropping, there simply isn’t room to sign Chiasson to so much as a minimum wage deal. Unless Boeser is more injured than we realize, or the Canucks send down a waiver exempt player such as Podkolzin or Rathbone, it doesn’t work.

Also just frustrates the heck out of me that the first time we legitimately have six top six forwards, Green inexplicably dispatches Hoglander to the bottom six and has Chiasson playing on the top unit.

What do you mean unless?

All signs are pointing to Podklolzin being demoted and Chiasson signed, this is a Benning/Green team after all.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The beat reporters today sure made it sound like Lammikko is joining the main club and will get a look on the fourth line.

Would make sense given they waived Di Giuseppe.
He'd need to get acclimated to the system and coaching staff. Since he's not in Vancouver yet, I highly doubt he plays game 1.

No Sutter means it's up to guys like Petan, Dowling, Lammikko to take the job of 4C. We're safe with Jason Dickinson, the question becomes what do the wingers look like if Miller plays 3C. Somebody like Chiasson or Petan in the top 9 doesn't sit right with me.

Cornwallace

Jun 24, 2021
Very cool to see Gadjovich was waived to give Chiasson a chance to ride shotgun on the first line :sarcasm:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
If Hogs and Podz establish themselves as good top 6 forwards, then imo we have enough forward depth to trade Miller for a d man. But what level of d could we get for a good player on a cheap price, but 1 yrear away from free agency? He could easily be the missing piece that puts a team in a position to win a SC, so maybe we could steal a 2 or 3 d man, who also is nearing free agency.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
What the f*** are those forward lines? If those are what Green actually goes with on opening night, he should be shot into the sun.

Reactions: Indiana

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
This bottom-6 and defense as a whole looks awful lol.

They need to be stacking the top-9, sticking all the non-NHLers on the 4th line and only playing them in blowouts/PK.

Reactions: Indiana

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Going to be ugly, but I do have to laugh at Edmonton fans claiming they had depth to play McDrai separate yet they start the season together lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad