Canucks Offseason Thread || Sekeres: Canucks shopping Tanev, Sutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
and we are on nyquist's short list.

Assuming they're signing Myers, it seems the only way they can afford Nyquist (who you'd think is getting $5M+ AAV) would be to ditch at least Spooner, Schaller, and one of Eriksson/Sutter.

We're now in Benning Inception, wherein we must ditch historic crappy Benning contracts for new crappy Benning contracts. I don't even know how often GMs get to do that. Usually you'd be fired for handling cap space like that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for this. To me these minutes make sense. Granlund is decent on special teams but useless at 5V5. Either way, no one will miss him

Granlund was horrible on special teams. Bled goals on the PK because he was lazy and constantly collapsed too low. Never produced on the PP despite substantial minutes over multiple years.

Basically he's a Swiss Army Knife with a bunch of really dull blades that can do everything and play everywhere ... badly.

His biggest problem is that he's slow and lazy. When he actually moved his feet now and again, he could be decent. But basically he was a slow, soft, lazy replacement level player.

He wouldn't be the worst option on a good team as a $600k 13th-14th forward just because he is versatile and can be plugged in in various places in the lineup. But he isn't and shouldn't be an NHL regular.

I'll never understand how Gaunce took so much heat for his skating but the far slower Granlund never heard a peep about it.

Anyhow, yeah. Good riddance. Was a joke that he was here for so long.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I think we will go after Marcus Johanssen to play in our top 6.

Benning tried to trade for him at the deadline.

Hes only 28 and was really really good in Bostons cup run.

He can play C or LW

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Because it not even July 1 yet. Lots of roster movement and trades will happen on the Canuck roster in the upcoming weeks.

Who know what irons are in the fire.

I'm still banking on a Canuck Oilers trade

Lucic 1st

For

Eriksson Tannev 4th

Then I also see Sutter moved and possibly Baertschi

Why in the world woudl Edmonton give up a first for Tanev and a 4th???? Lucic and eriksson are close enough to equal that you could argue the 4th off sets them.

So at that point it’s a first for Tanev...from
Edmonton’s pov why???

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the oilers have huge cap issues.

eriksson and baertschi for bobby ryan and ? would make more sense, but it doesn't save much if any cap.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Why in the world woudl Edmonton give up a first for Tanev and a 4th???? Lucic and eriksson are close enough to equal that you could argue the 4th off sets them.

So at that point it’s a first for Tanev...from
Edmonton’s pov why???

A 4th doesnt offset Lucic and Eriksson. Eriksson is better player, better contract not to mention does not require protection spot in 2 years. That is waay more valuable than a 4th

And Tanev is a player that a defensive coach like Tippet would covet.

McDavid also has high high praise for Tanev from when they played together in Worlds.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
A 4th doesnt offset Lucic and Eriksson. Eriksson is better player, better contract not to mention does not require protection spot in 2 years. That is waay more valuable than a 4th

And Tanev is a player that a defensive coach like Tippet would covet.

McDavid also has high high praise for Tanev from when they played together in Worlds.

This isn't NHL 97. There's a GM on the other side that just saw Benning make the JT Miller trade (i.e. the guy clearly has no concept in terms of valuing cap space, or really negotiating for that matter). It's also basically common knowledge the Canucks want to give Myers a giant contract, and sign Boeser to a material extension. Do you think there's a GM in the league that's not licking their chops at Benning right now? He just went from a cap dump destination to a rube.

You're not coming out on the right side of any trade. If the Eriksson for Lucic swap even happens I expect it to be basically 1-for-1.

I like this idea that Benning is suddenly going to go all idiot savant and solve all our cap problems with some shrewd move. Like is that Benning at all? Mr. Shrewd Moves? Dude's never seen a trade he can't lose.

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Is it possible to include the words "Benning", "solving" and "cap" in the same statement without reality unraveling?

Reactions: MS

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Anybody seeing Toronto’s cap problems has got to be dreading Vancouver’s situation in 2 years. At least Toronto is just overpaying very good players. Vancouver could be at a cap crunch with bloated contracts to Lucic and Myers.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The Canucks are going to have major cap problems if Benning signs Myers.

Any somewhat intelligent person would see how badly Seabrook's contract has effected Chicago, and want no part of this deal. I blame Aqualini for giving a GM with awful pro-scouting a blank cheque, and has to make the playoffs to save his job.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This buildup to July 1 is just the worst thing.

Is there any logical reason free agency couldn't have just started when the "interview" window opened?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
ultimately, i am mostly puzzled. they have their eyes wide open here so i don't think they are about to go rogue on the cap. they have had time to do the math and there is a report they knew the luongo retirement was incoming. they have some kind of plan.

so, most likely, nyquist is a plan b if myers walks.

similarly, as many have pointed out, schenn is a no brainer to re-sign right now. so he is clearly a plan b option. presumably if we sign myers, he is out.

it also seems reasonable to assume they have a left hand dman target instead of hutton, and nemeth is the only name i have heard. it could be they have different targets depending on whether myers signs. perhaps myers + nemeth is plan a, while, nyquist + schenn + nemeth is plan b.

either way they seem to have at least two ufa targets and when you add that to their list of unsigned rfas, the math remains a mystery even if they intend to bridge boeser, waive schaller and buyout spooner to maximize their cap space. there seems to be a missing puzzle piece. my best guess is a eriksson is moving after his signing bonus whatever we are adding or taking back, we are somehow saving cap space in that deal.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yikes! How many bottom dwellers actually have had cap issues since the cap came in?
Us and Edmonton? Jim has entered elite company.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

I can't help but like what Colorado's been building. Also in on Panarin.

Wish they would have traded Baertschi for that package- we need some cap space; that being said it's also a good thing that a Baertschi trade didn't materialize, because Jim Benning needs cap space.

But yes, Colorado will be a lot of fun to watch next year. Wonder what they are doing with the 2C spot if they do grab Panarin.

Reactions: xtra

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Instant Buyer's Remorse: the worst contracts handed out from 2018 free agency - TheHockeyNews

" ...Beagle’s contract isn’t great, especially since he’s 33, but it was a necessary evil at the time.[/I]"

It's easy to see that it isn't worth reading the article when the writer puts in illogical nonsense. The interesting thing to me is why on earth he'd put it in. Is he really that foolish, or is he pandering to the fans for whom Vancouver management can do no wrong?

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Because it not even July 1 yet. Lots of roster movement and trades will happen on the Canuck roster in the upcoming weeks.

Who know what irons are in the fire.

I'm still banking on a Canuck Oilers trade

Lucic 1st

For

Eriksson Tannev 4th

Then I also see Sutter moved and possibly Baertschi
Shouldn’t you be busy planning for playoff tickets and talking about what a great job Lord Jimbo is doing?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Instant Buyer's Remorse: the worst contracts handed out from 2018 free agency - TheHockeyNews

"Last summer, Vancouver spent a lot of money on veterans to fill role-player spots throughout the lineup. Take Jay Beagle,for example. He has never eclipsed the 30-point mark in his career, but Vancouver liked his value as a defensive center enough to give him a four-year deal at $3 million per season. A broken forearm prevented Beagle from scoring his first goal until mid-December, and his 13 points were his fewest since 2013-14. Yes, the team didn’t hire him to score, but he’s near the top when it comes to expensive fourth-liners.

Between Beagle, Loui Eriksson and Antoine Roussel, the Canucks paid $12 million for just 23 goals for three players that moved in and out of the bottom six. Add in the $3-million recapture penalty due to Roberto Luongo’s retirement, and the Canucks will need to get creative with the $15.53 million they have available this summer. Beagle’s contract isn’t great, especially since he’s 33, but it was a necessary evil at the time.
"

according to that article, that guy thinks the strome trade worked out ok for edmonton because they ended up with gagner and he outpointed strome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad