Canucks Offseason Thread || Sekeres: Canucks shopping Tanev, Sutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Earlier reports that Canucks only have around 15 mil of cap space is false.

Confirmed today that even with Luongo retiring...the Canucks have 19 mil ish of cap space.

Cap Friendly is your friend. At best the Canucks have $16.7 million with only 5 D signed. That assumes we don't run a full roster and none of the rookies hit their $4.6 M in bonuses, which, spoiler alert, Pettersson will. Carrying over bonuses to next season might be fine though as some crap like Spooner and Schaller come off the books with no big contracts to sign.

Boeser at 7 leaves the Canucks with around $9-10 million to sign 2 top 6 D.

member 290103

Dhaliwal reported that Nyquis is sorting out his destination preference and that the Canucks are on the short list.

Starting to sort of thing Dhaliwal is pulling stuff out of his ass. He reports so many rumours now that never pan out. I think his radio hosting gig caused him to feel the need to over-tweet. He used to be so money when it came to news.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Gardener? Dude, he ain’t signing to be on the 3rd pairing. No chance he signs. Zero

It would be so stupid if him, management, or fans looked at it that way.

For one - he would be on the 2nd pairing. Hughes would (or should) start on the 3rd pairing so that he gets his feet wet. Hughes should also get lots of PP time.

IF Hughes shows that he’s ready for more responsibility, you can then elevate Hughes to the 2nd pairing and move Gardiner over to the right side (where he also has significant experience). Moving Edler to the right side is also an option (think - Erhoff-Edler 2011).

In two years time when the Canucks will likely have to move on from Edler (reupping Pettersson and Hughes), you then have an insurance plan in place.

One of Gardiner or Hughes becomes the top pairing guy, while the other guy becomes the 2nd pairing guy.

Anyone making the assumption that Hughes will “automatically” become a worthy top pairing LD in two years, along with Juolevi or Tree “automatically” becoming a good 2nd pairing D, or someone like Sautner or Brisebois “automatically” becoming a good 3rd pairing D would be taking a huge risk. A lot of dominos would have to fall in the correct places.

That is why you sign Jake Gardiner.

Gustav would have been nice if it wasn’t for the fact that.....

1) Our defense really really sucks.
2) We have to think about future cap space.

The Canucks desperately need to fill that right side, but signing Myers to a franchise crippling contract is NOT the solution.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So are we all just bracing ourselves for the inevitable car crash that is the Myers signing? *sigh

Dark times we are in..........dark times........

I honestly dont think its coming at this point.

We simply dont have the cap space.

We have 16mil to sign Boeser, Leivo, Goldobin, Motte and two top 6 D men.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I don’t know what would be funnier...benning plans for petterssons expected bonuses and petey doesn’t hit them (having a bad season) or benning not planning for it and petey hitting em.

I fear that we could compound our dumb desire to sign Myers by giving Brock a short term deal for a lower cap hit and then dealing with a huge extension later.

Reactions: THE Green Man

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It would be so stupid if him, management, or fans looked at it that way.

For one - he would be on the 2nd pairing. Hughes would (or should) start on the 3rd pairing so that he gets his feet wet. Hughes should also get lots of PP time.

IF Hughes shows that he’s ready for more responsibility, you can then elevate Hughes to the 2nd pairing and move Gardiner over to the right side (where he also has significant experience).

In two years time when the Canucks will likely have to move on from Edler (reupping Pettersson and Hughes), you then have an insurance plan in place.

One of Gardiner or Hughes becomes the top pairing guy, while the other guy becomes the 2nd pairing guy.

Anyone making the assumption that Hughes will “automatically” become a worthy top pairing LD in two years, along with Juolevi or Tree “automatically” becoming a good 2nd pairing D, or someone like Sautner or Brisebois “automatically” becoming a good 3rd pairing D would be taking a huge risk. A lot of dominos would have to fall in the correct places.

That is why you sign Jake Gardiner.

Gustav would have been nice if it wasn’t for the fact that.....

1) Our defense really really sucks.
2) We have to think about future cap space.
There is so much wrong with this post that I can’t even start. I’ll take a stab at it In the morning.

Reactions: boogeybendo

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I honestly dont think its coming at this point.

We simply dont have the cap space.

We have 16mil to sign Boeser, Leivo, Goldobin, Motte and two top 6 D men.

Bye bye Motte.
Bye bye one of Leivo OR Goldie.
Boeser = 7.5 million.
Gardiner = 7.5 million

(I might be wrong on this, but doesn’t Roussel’s LTIR give us an extra 1.5 million in cap space?

So - this 1.5 million + the 1 million extra that we’d have = 2.5 for one of Goldie or Leivo.

Not completely sure about this though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Bye bye Motte.
Bye bye one of Leivo OR Goldie.
Boeser = 7.5 million.
Gardiner = 7.5 million

(I might be wrong on this, but doesn’t Roussel’s LTIR give us an extra 1.5 million in cap space?

So - this 1.5 million + the 1 million extra that we’d have = 2.5 for one of Goldie or Leivo.

Not completely sure about this though.

Shouldn't Roussel be healthy come training camp?

Part of Spooner's and or maybe Schaller's burried cap hit can go towards Leivo.

In reality, Goldy and Motte aren't going to make more or much more than $925K so if he is taking a spot someone is losing theirs.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Shouldn't Roussel be healthy come training camp?

Part of Spooner's and or maybe Schaller's burried cap hit can go towards Leivo.

In reality, Goldy and Motte aren't going to make more or much more than $925K so if he is taking a spot someone is losing theirs.

I think Roussel will be out until December I’d the rumors are correct.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I don’t know what would be funnier...benning plans for petterssons expected bonuses and petey doesn’t hit them (having a bad season) or benning not planning for it and petey hitting em.

I fear that we could compound our dumb desire to sign Myers by giving Brock a short term deal for a lower cap hit and then dealing with a huge extension later.
I said this in a different thread somewhere half joking it would be a possibility. Boeser on a 2 year bridge deal, having to sign 3 of the big 4 all at the same time- would be a nightmare for the new GM and a complete disaster if the current buffoon is somehow still here.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I said this in a different thread somewhere half joking it would be a possibility. Boeser on a 2 year bridge deal, having to sign 3 of the big 4 all at the same time- would be a nightmare for the new GM and a complete disaster if the current buffoon is somehow still here.

good thought. even a bridge deal is 5 or $6m, but i guess that is possible. it might even be smart given the cba might change the landscape.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
how is that mathematically possible?

Because it not even July 1 yet. Lots of roster movement and trades will happen on the Canuck roster in the upcoming weeks.

Who know what irons are in the fire.

I'm still banking on a Canuck Oilers trade

Lucic 1st

For

Eriksson Tannev 4th

Then I also see Sutter moved and possibly Baertschi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad