Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I'd be good with him at 3 RD.

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Stecher
Riikola
Ruhwedel

This, I like Ruhwedel and all, I think he's ok, doesnt help or hurt you, but no way would I ever want the guy to play 82 games plus playoffs, 20 games as an injury fill in or when somebody's game went to hell and needs to sit for a bit.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Vancouver the first team in the league heading to training camp with like 150 left shot d-men and like 2 right shot d-men.

and the kicker is they are targeting another left shot d-men in a trade. :huh:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Vancouver the first team in the league heading to training camp with like 150 left shot d-men and like 2 right shot d-men.

and the kicker is they are targeting another left shot d-men in a trade. :huh:
no kidding. And today, their first 2 drafted Dmen were Left shots, the last one in round 7 is a right.

Historically, the Canucks have not drafted many right shots. Just the way it has fallen for them.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
no kidding. And today, their first 2 drafted Dmen were Left shots, the last one in round 7 is a right.

Historically, the Canucks have not drafted many right shots. Just the way it has fallen for them.
So this is why Benning has talked up Chatfield. He's gonna be in the show by dint of having no right shot dmen. Rafferty is a right shot too, he can't be far off what Stecher brings.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I think Stecher ends up signing with the Canucks in free agency for around $2-2.2M. He absolutely wants to stay in Vancouver and I think he takes a discount to do it.

I hope so but I very much doubt it. His QO was 2.325 and if we were wanted him at 2.2 then we would have signed him at 2.325 or given him a token raise to 2.5. I think Troy wanted to stay and would have been willing to take those numbers to make it happen. If Nucks were willing to sign him to his QO and were only worried about arbitration, I certainly hope they at least discussed it with Troy. It seems like they did not have any discussion.

I also don't agree that the arbitration risk was as high as some are saying. he had 17 pts playing a number 5 role. We did not have as significant injuries on defense this year as in years past so he was not asked to do as much. For example he played in the top 4 less than Hutton did when we didn't qualify him.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Is there some kind of reality here where the cap only affects the Canucks? Cause that seems to be the narrative, Stecher would have been qualified if it wasn’t for the pandemic but this is reality.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Whoever gets this guy at around the 2.5mil mark is going to be extremely pleased.

Very hard working right handed defenseman. Yes he's undersized, and yes he can get out manned, but he isn't soft.. He battles hard. He can be the trigger man on the PP, but is more suited to the 2nd unit. He likes to shoot and has a good slap shot that he can get through. Good personality, funny guy in the room, always seems to volunteer for all of the community events, etc.

Ideally he's a No. 5 guy that can slot into the top 4 to fill in for injuries. He filled in when Myers was out in the playoffs, and while there were moments where the physicality caught up with his size, his work ethic did generally make up for it. I'm really hoping we can somehow sign him still.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Is there some kind of reality here where the cap only affects the Canucks? Cause that seems to be the narrative, Stecher would have been qualified if it wasn’t for the pandemic but this is reality.
Yeah, and another "narrative" is that the Canucks have so much immovable junk clogging up their roster that the only way to clear cap space is by cutting ties with modestly but genuinely useful players whose retention would be no issue had there been responsible budgeting in the first place.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I'm not sure it was the pandemic. It was more the gross mismanagement of contracts. That said he is a bottom pairing dman. People were up in arm when we lost Hutton. Stecher is slightly better but I wouldn't be shocked if Rafferty comes in and is just as good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad