Speculation: Canucks next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So another guy gets crossed off the list....John Stevens hired in L.A.....not sure what to make of the Green situation....the longer it drags on, the more you're left to wonder.

I get the spin from the Canucks that interviewing all candidates is only a case of 'dong their due diligence'.....and maybe they've already told Green he's likely getting the job.

The other, more troubling explanation, is that there's another 'disconnect' between the President and the GM; or the President and ownership. And with this management group, you just never know.

Isn't 'not knowing' like not having a clear direction? I think 'not having a clearly stated direction' is a problem too. Are we retooling, rebuilding, or what exactly?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Or the most basic, simple reasoning is that they are waiting for some teams to finish the playoffs so they can interview their list of candidates.

It's clear they haven't made a decision on Green or anyone, they will interview, gather the data, and make a decision. Simple as that.

Green is not a foregone conclusion.

We're now down to eight teams left in the Stanley Cup playoffs...and looking at the list of teams, I can't think of a single coach who's in danger or walking the plank even if they don't make it past the next round. So unless there's a couple of assistant coaches they have their eye on, not sure the playoffs should make any difference.

Basically then, whoever was available to coach in VanCity has either already been hired somewhere else or is basically still out there. And unless they're waiting for the AHL playoffs to conclude because they're considering somebody down there, what's the point of waiting?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
We're now down to eight teams left in the Stanley Cup playoffs...and looking at the list of teams, I can't think of a single coach who's in danger or walking the plank even if they don't make it past the next round. So unless there's a couple of assistant coaches they have their eye on, not sure the playoffs should make any difference.

Basically then, whoever was available to coach in VanCity has either already been hired somewhere else or is basically still out there. And unless they're waiting for the AHL playoffs to conclude because they're considering somebody down there, what's the point of waiting?

That's exactly what they are most likely doing. Marc Crawford and Todd Reirden are next in line to becoming head coaches in the NHL. AHL coaches are also another avenue they could be waiting.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
i have no dog in this hunt but i surely don't like green leaking out as "linden's" preferred choice. that could not be more bush league. the organization should be speaking as one voice and the decision should be tied to the gm and nobody else.

ownership, the president and the gm all have input over a decision like this, but technically this selection is the job of the gm with the input of others and subject to a veto by the president/owner, but not a majority vote or override where they force the gm to pick someone he doesn't want.

if that's not the way they run their show, that's a problem.

Why is that, because of your extensive experience in hockey ops?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the ahl playoffs, assistant coaches for still active nhl playoff teams, and, in the weird case of kroeger, the epl season, all potentially stand in the way of a quick decision. even guys who just got eliminated might be in play: kevin dineen just freed up thursday. it might take a couple of days to set up an interview after that.

as others have said, even if the canucks strongly lean toward green, there is a value to interviewing and getting other perspectives. those interviews build connections, and set up possible asst. coach hires.

now if someone else starts talking to green that might force their hand. however, i imagine he is less of a golden boy nhl job candidate than he was last year. his team just missed the playoffs. whether or not that is his fault, that takes him down a notch in terms of "bringing in a winner". so maybe he is ok with letting the process happen, or maybe he lack options.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Why is that, because of your extensive experience in hockey ops?

why is it a problem if the canucks gm is not allowed to exercise the normal perquisites of an nhl gm on a fundamental decision like hiring a coach?

is that your question?

if so, you should ask mike gillis.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
bruh, he had 4 goals in first 9 games. very small sample size. i know but ive seen his goals, pure sniper, great hands and natural goal scorers goal .

i see boeser scoring more than goldobin, i see goldobin scoring at 25-30 goals consistently and boeser at 35-40 consistently. obviously both need the right linemates.

hopefully we get nolan/hischier.

besides gotta remember boeser was still nursing his wrist injury and had to triple tape it.

the summer break is gonna do him wonders, the only knock is his skating and once he improves his skating like horvat, he will truly be a force to be reckoned with.

Prepare to be disappointed with expectations like that. At Goldobin's peak, I see him as a 40-50 point player with the potential to score 20 goals IF everything works out for him. That is a good player. He also has bust potential and a fairly large one at that.

Boeser looks great but I've seen enough highly touted prospects bust to know that we probably shouldn't be counting our eggs before they hatch. Boeser could score 40 one day or he could be a regular 20 goal goal on the second line and that's about it. Really hard to say with a 9 game tryout.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Prepare to be disappointed with expectations like that. At Goldobin's peak, I see him as a 40-50 point player with the potential to score 20 goals IF everything works out for him. That is a good player. He also has bust potential and a fairly large one at that.

Boeser looks great but I've seen enough highly touted prospects bust to know that we probably shouldn't be counting our eggs before they hatch. Boeser could score 40 one day or he could be a regular 20 goal goal on the second line and that's about it. Really hard to say with a 9 game tryout.

the maturity is the difference, some young cocky kids lit so much up then they cooldown because they take things for granted or let things off.

horvat and boeser are the type of players that go nowhere but up.

goldobin, i see him having a hot streak then cooling down. he isnt as mature as the others but the game will come.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
why is it a problem if the canucks gm is not allowed to exercise the normal perquisites of an nhl gm on a fundamental decision like hiring a coach?

is that your question?

Well I don't think a non confirmed comment regarding the President's preference of a coach means much of anything. It doesn't mean he's overriding everyone. I don't know where that conclusion comes from. Unless you think a simple comment such as this compromises anything, which it doesn't.

I also don't necessarily agree that's exactly the sole responsibility of the GM either. Sounds like yet another cheap bash at every single thing said or done by Linden or Benning.

Thus my question regarding your inside knowledge of the matter. Is there any sources detailing it should work exactly as you've stated, and they've committed yet another greivios error with a simple comment.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Well I don't think a non confirmed comment regarding the President's preference of a coach means much of anything.

well i think you and i attach different weight to things sekeres tweets expressing the views of canuck management.

nick lang said:
It doesn't mean he's overriding everyone. I don't know where that conclusion comes from.

i didn't say he's overriding everyone. i don't know where your conclusion to the contrary came from. perhaps you met a straw man today?

nick lang said:
Unless you think a simple comment such as this compromises anything, which it doesn't.

unless you think the gm should have no say at all, the president leaking to the media identifying his personal preference for head coach in advance of the actual decision is bush league stuff that compromises the autonomy of the gm to put forward his choice without telegraphing internal dissent. a halfway serious president in that situation would keep his opinion to himself and let the discussion play out internally, and then management would state a single unified public position. that's how you do it unless you work for donald trump.

nick lang said:
I also don't necessarily agree that's exactly the sole responsibility of the GM either.

i also didn't say it was the sole responsibility of the gm. did you meet two straw men today?

nick lang said:
Sounds like yet another cheap bash at every single thing said or done by Linden or Benning.

sounds like this was not an isolated example of you failing to read what i post here very carefully.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Did the Sedins and Kesler really struggle under Crawford and thrive under or AV or did Kesler and Sedins just physically matured and got older and reached their prime by the time AV started.

The Sedins were going to go back to Sweden under Crawford's tutelage. Dave Nonis and Crawford both had to meet with them in London to convince them to stay.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
bruh, he had 4 goals in first 9 games. very small sample size. i know but ive seen his goals, pure sniper, great hands and natural goal scorers goal .

i see boeser scoring more than goldobin, i see goldobin scoring at 25-30 goals consistently and boeser at 35-40 consistently. obviously both need the right linemates.

hopefully we get nolan/hischier.

besides gotta remember boeser was still nursing his wrist injury and had to triple tape it.

the summer break is gonna do him wonders, the only knock is his skating and once he improves his skating like horvat, he will truly be a force to be reckoned with.

I really wonder how many people grasp the difficulty of manufacturing offense in this league when they say something like this. There are maybe 4 or 5 players since the 2005 lockout that could be described as a "consistent 35-40 goal scorer" and they have names like Crosby, Ovechkin, Iginla, etc. You're going to put label Boeser with that now? Insane.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

is that your question?

Yes. As much as I think Benning has made some seriously questionable calls (if they were indeed his)...Linden has no qualifications whatsoever to be making hockey ops decisions. It appeared initially that Linden was more of a PR face that could liaison with ownership. Benning was the guy who actually had some semblance of front office experience.

If Linden is the one making the calls, well we're screwed. He's a dude who was relevant like 20 years ago and has had nothing to do with the NHL in ages.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Maybe there's some discord brewing in Chicago?

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...oel-quenneville-stan-bowman-conflict-nhl-2017

"The Chicago Blackhawks may have a power struggle brewing in their hockey operations after two straight first-round losses. Head coach Joel Quenneville was “upset and surprised by the move†to fire assistant coach Mike Kitchen, according to Chicago Tribune’s Christopher Hine."

And this is why you have some patience and do your due diligence.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Would love to see that Blackhawks front office and bench bosses split apart and fragment completely. Any team that gets some of the pieces will benefit. Hopefully Aquilini is watching this breakup in Chicago with great interest.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Maybe there's some discord brewing in Chicago?

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...oel-quenneville-stan-bowman-conflict-nhl-2017

"The Chicago Blackhawks may have a power struggle brewing in their hockey operations after two straight first-round losses. Head coach Joel Quenneville was “upset and surprised by the move†to fire assistant coach Mike Kitchen, according to Chicago Tribune’s Christopher Hine."

He can be upset all he wants but he can leave his contract unless Blackhawks fire him, and there is a zero chance they will.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Would love to see that Blackhawks front office and bench bosses split apart and fragment completely. Any team that gets some of the pieces will benefit. Hopefully Aquilini is watching this breakup in Chicago with great interest.

Hopefully. Not sure though if he would have the patience to wait it out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He can be upset all he wants but he can leave his contract unless Blackhawks fire him, and there is a zero chance they will.

Actually, Coach Q can re-sign if he wants. It would be a PR nightmare if the Blackhawks try to hold him to his contract and prevent him from joining another team, especially after say he has sat out for a year.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

That works if the world is black and white. You have a contract so do the job! In reality if your head coach is not happy about the moves made to HIS assistants you should probably smooth things over in a genuine way or also remove the head coach. Have to see how things develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad