Speculation: Canucks next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Next Canucks Coach discussion

Unless somebody is living under a rock, everybody knows that Willie D is two games away from getting fired.

So who do you guys think should be the replacement coach.

Imo the top 3 guys that come to mind are,

Crow
Hitchcock
Travis green

Last edited:

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Unless somebody is living undef a rock, everybody knows that Willie D is two games away from grtting fired.

So who do you guys think should be the replacement coach.

Imo the top 3 guys that come to mind are,

Crow
Hitchcock
Travis green

Why do people keep suggesting hitchcock? Was he not set to retire after this year from the Blues? Because he was forced into retirement a few months early, he is suddenly going to be itching to take over the train wreck in Vancouver?

Also, no thanks to Crow. He's a dinosaur. I was high on Green, but the more I hear and look at player development in Utica, the more I wonder if the guy would be the right guy in the NHL.

Not sure where they go here. You at least wait and see who gets terminated from around the league after this year.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
All I know is that the next coach no matter what would have to be willing to play the kids and not go to veterans in fear of rookie mistakes.

A veteran like Gallant, Hitchcock or Crawford would not be the right way to go. There are many different options out there that could be better at development.

We need that more than a systems guy.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Here are 5 guys I would definitely interview: Gerard Gallant, Marc Crawford, Paul McLean, Kevin Dineen and Travis Green.

I have no interest in Hitchcock or Hartley.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
gimme someone under 40. call this an unfair generalization if you must, but old people are no good at everything

Crow
Hitchcock
Travis green

old, old, kinda seems like a moron

I'd like Gerard Gellant. Felt like the panthers gave up on him too early

for the love of god please no:

Rowe elaborated, marking a distinction between friction and differences of opinion. “There was obviously a philosophical divide,” Rowe said. “We wanted to develop a team, build a team that was fast, could move the puck quickly, attack the offensive net, pressure the puck in all three zones. Gerard and I talked about it. He said that we need a little bit more size and we just decided to go in a different direction. Were we on the same page every day of the week? No."

gerard gallant was against this design, favouring Big Bad Body Bashers. please dont hire any more dinosaurs

Sheldon Keefe please.

the scary thing about sheldon keefe (i want him as a coach) is that theres a decent chance whomever we have as coach lasts exactly one year before they and benning are given the boot and it would be annoying to fire him

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Here are 5 guys I would definitely interview: Gerard Gallant, Marc Crawford, Paul McLean, Kevin Dineen and Travis Green.

Can you explain the lack of interest in Hitchcock?

The best thing about signing up Hitchcock is that everyone will be fully aware that he's with the team for only 2 years, tops. He's there to transition the club and teach, nothing more. Further, he has the sharpest mind of any option named. This is not just a good coach, but a coach that was at one time regarded in the upper echelon of coaches. Someone relied upon by other good coaches in international play... This should not be overlooked.

The additional benefit to having Hitch here is that when he does decide to retire, VAN makes for a great spot for him to be promoted upstairs. He can be the 'eye in the sky' that judges the ability of all future coaches. Similar to what Bowman has done in CHI with Quenville. I think this is Perry Pearn's role here is it not?

Of course, the downside is that he has a tendency to play a defensive, controlled style. He's also a taskmaster. There are downsides to be sure.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Hitch might be a good GM. He has said he is finished with coaching, though.

Dan Cloutier might be a good Head Coach but it is too soon.

What about Trevor Linden? He has no experience or apparent ability. He's perfect! Let him GM, too, like Quinn.

The Sedins might want Desjardins? If they are really returning, would they want a new coach? Desjardins loves his vets! I think he is staying.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Give me Don Maloney or Ken Holland for President (if Holland would be available).

Julien Brisebois for General Manager.

Marc Crawford, John Cooper (if available), Kevin Dineen as head coach.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The best thing about signing up Hitchcock is that everyone will be fully aware that he's with the team for only 2 years, tops. He's there to transition the club and teach, nothing more. Further, he has the sharpest mind of any option named. This is not just a good coach, but a coach that was at one time regarded in the upper echelon of coaches. Someone relied upon by other good coaches in international play... This should not be overlooked.

The additional benefit to having Hitch here is that when he does decide to retire, VAN makes for a great spot for him to be promoted upstairs. He can be the 'eye in the sky' that judges the ability of all future coaches. Similar to what Bowman has done in CHI with Quenville. I think this is Perry Pearn's role here is it not?

Of course, the downside is that he has a tendency to play a defensive, controlled style. He's also a taskmaster. There are downsides to be sure.

I agree. (gasp!) Hitchcock is an excellent coach in the regular season. If the Canucks are looking to make the playoffs next season, Hitchcock might be the coach to do it. Darryl Sutter (if available) would be another experienced coach who fits well with what Benning wants I think.

I know Travis Green is the more natural choice but how about Sheldon Keefe? He's days older than the Sedins but his coaching record speaks for itself.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

he's old.

serious answer? the team ****ing blows. we should be taking gambles on young coaches like keefe that do insane **** like dallas eakins did because the gain of finding the next elite coach from another generation is greater than the possible loss to a team that hopefully finishes 30th

if we hire the greatest coach in the world and he has a heart attack in two years because he's a fatass baby boomer or decides he's made 50m and doesnt need more, it hasnt done anything for us except waste two years we could have been maybe learning something

I know Travis Green is the more natural choice but how about Sheldon Keefe? He's days older than the Sedins but his coaching record speaks for itself.

ok fine i agree with you on something

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Kevin Dineen is a suggestion I like. Head coach experience at all levels (AHL, NHL, Olympics with the Womens' team, World U18s) and he's currently an assistant in a very successful franchise. I think our next coach should have NHL coaching experience.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
the scary thing about sheldon keefe (i want him as a coach) is that theres a decent chance whomever we have as coach lasts exactly one year before they and benning are given the boot and it would be annoying to fire him

I have the same feeling. Whomever ends up coaching the Canucks for the next couple of seasons is doomed. Seriously, if you though this yeas was bad, next year looks to be even worse... and I'm not too confident about the year after that either. I don't know who will be thrown into the breach, but hopefully they will be good at developing kids while maintaining a positive atmosphere in the face of abject failure... all while knowing full well that, barring a miracle, they're gone sooner rather than later.

Honestly, how attractive would a vacant Canucks coaching position be?

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam

That's a decent bunch. Out of those 5 you should be able to find someone who fits the bill. Question is, what are we looking for in a coach? Someone who's going to coach to win a cup next year, or someone who understands we should be in a development stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad