Speculation: Canucks next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
What's scarier: Jim Benning leading a team all unified behind his "vision", or a fragmented execution of Jim Benning's vision? lol

he coached naslund, bertuzzi, forsberg, nolan, sakic and turned them into high offensive powerhouses. he also coached matthews in swiss league and he turned out to be a 40 goal scorer in his first rookie year that nobody else has 50+ goals! (obviously mike babs is a very good coach too) also his style makes the game exciting to watch.

And who are the Naslund, Bertuzzi, Forsberg, Sakic and Nolan equivalents on the current roster? Scotty Bowman couldn't turn Granlund or Baertschi into those guys.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Linden is disgustingly bad at evaluation of talent and or personel. The day that donkey gets removed from this franchise is the day the rebuild begins.

Trevor was a GREAT player, who always gave a completely honest effort. As a hockey executive, he might just be the exact opposite.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
What's scarier: Jim Benning leading a team all unified behind his "vision", or a fragmented execution of Jim Benning's vision? lol

And who are the Naslund, Bertuzzi, Forsberg, Sakic and Nolan equivalents on the current roster? Scotty Bowman couldn't turn Granlund or Baertschi into those guys.

we have a potential big star, boeser...borderline superstar potential .

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Linden is disgustingly bad at evaluation of talent and or personel. The day that donkey gets removed from this franchise is the day the rebuild begins.

He is not the only one.

As we all assumed, the Kings were smart enough to promote Stevens. Right now, our best options are Keefe, Todd Reirden and Travis Green

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Should have been more clear. I really disagree with the notion that Crawford turned those other guys into superstars. You or I could have been behind the bench and Joe Sakic would have still been a superstar. Don't know if that really counts.

The same can't be said for example for the Sedins or Ryan Kesler, all of whom struggled early in their careers (under Crawford) and then developed and took massive steps forward under Vigneault. Or look at what Torts has done in Columbus this year. Etc.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Should have been more clear. I really disagree with the notion that Crawford turned those other guys into superstars. You or I could have been behind the bench and Joe Sakic would have still been a superstar. Don't know if that really counts.

The same can't be said for example for the Sedins or Ryan Kesler, all of whom struggled early in their careers (under Crawford) and then developed and took massive steps forward under Vigneault. Or look at what Torts has done in Columbus this year. Etc.

Did the Sedins and Kesler really struggle under Crawford and thrive under or AV or did Kesler and Sedins just physically matured and got older and reached their prime by the time AV started.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He is not the only one.

As we all assumed, the Kings were smart enough to promote Stevens. Right now, our best options are Keefe, Todd Reirden and Travis Green

Florida and Buffalo are also in hunt for a coach too. I have read that Tallon is wanting to interview Marc Crawford.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i have no dog in this hunt but i surely don't like green leaking out as "linden's" preferred choice. that could not be more bush league. the organization should be speaking as one voice and the decision should be tied to the gm and nobody else.

ownership, the president and the gm all have input over a decision like this, but technically this selection is the job of the gm with the input of others and subject to a veto by the president/owner, but not a majority vote or override where they force the gm to pick someone he doesn't want.

if that's not the way they run their show, that's a problem.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
i have no dog in this hunt but i surely don't like green leaking out as "linden's" preferred choice. that could not be more bush league. the organization should be speaking as one voice and the decision should be tied to the gm and nobody else.

ownership, the president and the gm all have input over a decision like this, but technically this selection is the job of the gm with the input of others and subject to a veto by the president/owner, but not a majority vote or override where they force the gm to pick someone he doesn't want.

This is such a dumb statement.

How does Linden or anyone control what the media speculates? The only confirmed statements are that Benning has said he wants to keep it confidential and Linden said they are still in the process. When he was directly asked about Green, he gave Green praise since he is allowed to talk about a member of their own organization.

Just because Media starts creating a story with their own perspective doesn't mean it's valid.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Sadly, Benning is even worse.

Highly doubtful.

He looks like he can be a very nice 25-30 goal, 55-60 point winger. He doesn't look anything like a superstar. At all.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This is such a dumb statement.

How does Linden or anyone control what the media speculates? The only confirmed statements are that Benning has said he wants to keep it confidential and Linden said they are still in the process. When he was directly asked about Green, he gave Green praise since he is allowed to talk about a member of their own organization.

Just because Media starts creating a story with their own perspective doesn't mean it's valid.

sorry, it read like an authorized leak to me. sekeres could be making it up, or making up the linden part, but doing so would blow his credibility up pretty quickly.

and he does seem to get reliable leaked information associated with the senior management of the team. i tend to treat him as an official unofficial source on these kinds of stories.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I figure if they were going with Green it would have happened by now. There has to be more to it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's been patently obvious from pretty much day 1 here that there is no cohesive vision and that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. It's a bunch of dumb dogs chasing squirrels.

Agree completely that the coach hiring should be the GM's job and the President should be butting the hell out. Even if I trust Linden's judgement slightly more than Benning's.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Did the Sedins and Kesler really struggle under Crawford and thrive under or AV or did Kesler and Sedins just physically matured and got older and reached their prime by the time AV started.

Couldn't the same be said about Naslund and Bertuzzi or Sakic and Forsberg under Crow?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's been patently obvious from pretty much day 1 here that there is no cohesive vision and that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. It's a bunch of dumb dogs chasing squirrels.

Agree completely that the coach hiring should be the GM's job and the President should be butting the hell out. Even if I trust Linden's judgement slightly more than Benning's.

i don't agree the president should just butt out. i'd say he has input, influence and even a veto over a candidate he does not want. ownership the same. he just doesn't have the right to hire a guy the gm does not want.

and if you go back to gillis supposedly hiring torts against his will, the inconsistency of management with this team predates the current management. i am not so sure it's dumb dog squirrel chasing so much as the dog owners abusing the shock collars during a hunt.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver

NHL is not a vacuum. No one is allowed to execute their vision 100%. There are just too many factors and 30 other teams trying to do the same.

A GM has to be knowledgeable and ruthless, amongst other things. Some luck is needed, too, and you have to work for it.

With Benning we're destined to deal with leftovers and has-beens.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Wonder if you guys realize that no elite coaches would want to commit career suicide by agreeing to be the scapegoat for the Canucks.

You're going to have to settle for a few garbage coaches until Van becomes an attractive destination again.

Canadian dollar is garbage, no stars on the team to incentivize (McDavid Factor non-existent), the media is annoying, etc.

Whoever steps in was more than likely the best JB and Linden could find and Travis Green is probably the best person to bring the team along for the next 2-3 years. I know it's cool to be ignorant to the business side of things and hammer management when it doesn't fit into your NHL 17 fantasies, but chill out.

Sometimes cards in the deck have to be played.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wonder if you guys realize that no elite coaches would want to commit career suicide by agreeing to be the scapegoat for the Canucks.

You're going to have to settle for a few garbage coaches until Van becomes an attractive destination again.

Canadian dollar is garbage, no stars on the team to incentivize (McDavid Factor non-existent), the media is annoying, etc.

Whoever steps in was more than likely the best JB and Linden could find and Travis Green is probably the best person to bring the team along for the next 2-3 years. I know it's cool to be ignorant to the business side of things and hammer management when it doesn't fit into your NHL 17 fantasies, but chill out.

Sometimes cards in the deck have to be played.

I wonder which other teams are in our boat too? Arizona, Colorado, and Winnipeg?

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015

Highly doubtful.

He looks like he can be a very nice 25-30 goal, 55-60 point winger. He doesn't look anything like a superstar. At all.

bruh, he had 4 goals in first 9 games. very small sample size. i know but ive seen his goals, pure sniper, great hands and natural goal scorers goal .

i see boeser scoring more than goldobin, i see goldobin scoring at 25-30 goals consistently and boeser at 35-40 consistently. obviously both need the right linemates.

hopefully we get nolan/hischier.

besides gotta remember boeser was still nursing his wrist injury and had to triple tape it.

the summer break is gonna do him wonders, the only knock is his skating and once he improves his skating like horvat, he will truly be a force to be reckoned with.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Highly doubtful.

What is your idea of a superstar 40 players scored 60 points last year.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

He definitely had something to do with Naslund and Bertuzzi coming out of nowhere, though.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I figure if they were going with Green it would have happened by now. There has to be more to it.

Quite often teams want to interview a number of candidates to get an outside view the team and it's direction. It can be valuable information.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So another guy gets crossed off the list....John Stevens hired in L.A.....not sure what to make of the Green situation....the longer it drags on, the more you're left to wonder.

I get the spin from the Canucks that interviewing all candidates is only a case of 'dong their due diligence'.....and maybe they've already told Green he's likely getting the job.

The other, more troubling explanation, is that there's another 'disconnect' between the President and the GM; or the President and ownership. And with this management group, you just never know.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
So another guy gets crossed off the list....John Stevens hired in L.A.....not sure what to make of the Green situation....the longer it drags on, the more you're left to wonder.

I get the spin from the Canucks that interviewing all candidates is only a case of 'dong their due diligence'.....and maybe they've already told Green he's likely getting the job.

The other, more troubling explanation, is that there's another 'disconnect' between the President and the GM; or the President and ownership. And with this management group, you just never know.

Or the most basic, simple reasoning is that they are waiting for some teams to finish the playoffs so they can interview their list of candidates.

It's clear they haven't made a decision on Green or anyone, they will interview, gather the data, and make a decision. Simple as that.

Green is not a foregone conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad