Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Winter is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I’d love to pry a winger like Buch or Farabee to add that different element to our top 6. Is Farabee attainable?
I think anyone is for the right price.

But it won't be cheap given age and having term.

Unless he's viewed similar to Garland where $5M/yr is an overpay given what he's produced lately and tight cap market.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I think anyone is for the right price.

But it won't be cheap given age and having term.

Unless he's viewed similar to Garland where $5M/yr is an overpay given what he's produced lately and tight cap market.
1701736745541.png

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Barrie is not what this team needs - does he even PK?

I'd be going after either Carrier or Lauzon
This team needs barrie more than it needs garland, thats the only point.
Nobody wants barrie for skills, just cap..

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I woudn't take Tyson Barrie for free at league minimum.

The only thing he brings to the table is PP QB skills which we don't need even a little bit.

The only thing valuable about Barrie is that his contract expires at the end of the season. Taking Barrie back to facilitate a Garland trade, and use that space in other areas this summer is at least worth discussing.

Reactions: Flik

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The only thing valuable about Barrie is that his contract expires at the end of the season. Taking Barrie back to facilitate a Garland trade, and use that space in other areas this summer is at least worth discussing.

I'd rather just pay draft picks to get rid of Garland next summer over moving a useful player for a giant turd when the team is 16-8-1.

Reactions: byrath and andora

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I'd rather just pay draft picks to get rid of Garland next summer over moving a useful player for a giant turd when the team is 16-8-1.
What do you think it would cost to dump Garland’s final two years? I guess the answer to that question really determines whether it makes sense to dump him now for an expiring contract.

Reactions: Hodgy

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

The only thing he brings to the table is PP QB skills which we don't need even a little bit.
Barrie is not what this team needs - does he even PK?

I'd be going after either Carrier or Lauzon
Finding a better option to deal Garland without retaining or spending assets is challenging. As much as Garland has been effective in his role, he’s carrying a $4.9M cap hit for 3 years.

If you can exit Garland's contract without sacrificing valuable assets for an expiring one, like Tyson Barrie, it should be a straightforward decision. Ideally, he sits in the press box and is used sparingly/on injury basis.

I’m not sure why some aren’t getting this. Barrie is strictly cap related.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Finding a better option to deal Garland without retaining or spending assets is challenging. As much as Garland has been effective in his role, he’s carrying a $4.9M cap hit for 3 years.

If you can exit Garland's contract without sacrificing valuable assets for an expiring one, like Tyson Barrie, it should be a straightforward decision. Ideally, he sits in the press box and is used sparingly/on injury basis.

You don't intentionally make a 16-8-1 team worse. Again, I'd rather just give away a 2nd round pick next summer to dump Garland if that's what it takes.

Barrie is absolute useless shit.

Reactions: alternate

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
If Bear does sign with the Canucks where does that leave Myers?

Hughes-Hronek
Cole-Bear(???)
Soucy-Zadorov

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
If Bear does sign with the Canucks where does that leave Myers?

Hughes-Hronek
Cole-Bear(???)
Soucy-Zadorov
Hopefully rotating with cole and Bear

We're getting down to the end of the season and we are in a playoff spot I don't want to make it worse I'd still like it effective player on my third line versus a soft defenseman I have no need for

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
Tyson Barrie is the kind of player where everyone knows what they're going to get, someone acquires him anyway saying "how bad could it possibly be?", and then it turns out exactly how you expected it.

Toronto, Edmonton, and Nashville have all been burned in the exact same way. It's a multi-year/multi-team sample size where he's been leapfrogged in his only valuable role as a PP QB. We'd be dumber than all of those teams as the team with Quinn Hughes.

Garland is useful right now in his role as a bottom 6 driver. Keep him while the team is successful unless you get a favorable/lateral move, and reassess in the offseason. Trading draft picks to get significant maneuverability during the opportunity to accomplish something is actually a good position to be in relative to the hole we've been dug in.

If Bear is looking for a significant role or long term fit, then it's strange that we might be at the top of his list. But he doesn't hurt us and keeps us from being one injury away from Juulsen for similar cap hit to another 7/8. I just don't see it being a big deal unless he somehow gets big money.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

What do you think it would cost to dump Garland’s final two years? I guess the answer to that question really determines whether it makes sense to dump him now for an expiring contract.

I think a Garland for Barrie trade makes sense as part of a series of transactions if we are also dumping Barrie subsequently and using the cap space. Assuming Garland is a negative asset, it makes sense if Nashville values Garland more than any other team as we pay the smallest price to dump him, and then we just dump Barrie whose on an expiring contract so should be possible to do for a smaller price than dumping Garland. Then you use the cap space.

Reactions: Vector and m9

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think a Garland for Barrie trade makes sense as part of a series of transactions if we are also dumping Barrie subsequently and using the cap space. Assuming Garland is a negative asset, it makes sense if Nashville values Garland more than any other team as we pay the smallest price to dump him, and then we just dump Barrie whose on an expiring contract so should be possible to do for a smaller price than dumping Garland. Then you use the cap space.

Yes, that’s the only way acquiring Barrie makes sense.

Reactions: Flik and Nucker101
Feb 19, 2018
Why not Barrie for Myers and they get the slightly more useful player and we save $1.5 million on the Cap and sign Bear. We then replace Myers with Bear on the roster and wait until a team runs into injury problems and need a PP QB, trade Barrie then with some retention to get an asset.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Signing Barrie would be a literally Jim Benning move.

Can we do jimbo moves anymore, please?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why not Barrie for Myers and they get the slightly more useful player and we save $1.5 million on the Cap and sign Bear. We then replace Myers with Bear on the roster and wait until a team runs into injury problems and need a PP QB, trade Barrie then with some retention to get an asset.
Barrie for Myers..?..Barrie would be the less useful player..

I’m sure the coach would hate the idea.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Very very curious who shakes free on the Kraken.

UFA:
Eberle (16-NTC)5.5m
Wennberg (10-NTC) 4.5m
Bellemare 0.775m
Schultz (10-NTC) 3.0m

Signed for 24/25:
Gourde (23-NTC) 5.16m
Tanev (10-NTC) 3.5m
Larsson (10-NTC) 4.0m
Dumoulin (10-NTC) 3.15m
Borgen 2.7m
Daccord 1.2m

So many NTCs to content with. I would give up a lot to get Larsson.

Reactions: Nucker101

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

Like it or not, Myers is far more useful to us than Barrie would be.

Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad