Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Unwrapping Some Presents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

-Johnston: says all signs point to Corey Perry filing a grievence about his contract termination; due by the end of this month
-LeBrun: has an interview with Jim Rutherford coming out tomorrow in The Athletic; Rutherford says the Canucks are potentially looking for a top-6 forward; they are not done
-Dreger: would not be surprised if Monahan is among the forwards to get traded before the deadline
-LeBrun: thinks Reinhart might be the next pending UFA forward to be extended

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
If Nashville falls out of the playoff race they'd have some intriguing pieces to consider. Trenin, Novak, and Parssinen would all be interesting options

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Yep. I mentioned those things a couple pages back in this thread. Prime-age, pending RFA. A guy who could be a supplementary "core" player and drive an offensive second line.

Bolded is key. He's taken big strides the last couple seasons at even-strength play.

BUF is probably going to have to accept they need to trade some forwards/forward prospects.

I brought up Mittelstadt because Matthew Fairburn (BUF beat writer at the Athletic) speculated recently that Mittselstadt might be an odd man out, given his RFA status, forward glut, and that Cozens will be the long-term 2C.
Based on what Sabres fans are saying, they don't want/need anymore picks or prospects, they want "now" players. They have a need for quality top 4 RHD, or a good defensive center. 2 things we don't have excess of. It is going to be hard to make a deal.

Of course, what fans say doesn't necessarily reflect what management thinks. But looking at their roster/pipeline, it really does look like they need a 3C or top 4 RHD. Or I guess a decent 1B goalie and let Levi develop more in the AHL.

Can't really see a good trading partner, unless its somehow a 3 way deal.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Based on what Sabres fans are saying, they don't want/need anymore picks or prospects, they want "now" players. They have a need for quality top 4 RHD, or a good defensive center. 2 things we don't have excess of. It is going to be hard to make a deal.

Of course, what fans say doesn't necessarily reflect what management thinks. But looking at their roster/pipeline, it really does look like they need a 3C or top 4 RHD. Or I guess a decent 1B goalie and let Levi develop more in the AHL.

Can't really see a good trading partner, unless its somehow a 3 way deal.

Canucks have a huge RHD playing 20 minutes a night. Familiar with Buffalo. Great character guy. Is a pending UFA but apparently is looking at a 3-4m per year deal. ;)

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
My uninformed take:

Canucks management is trying to telegraph to the league that they believe there will be an abundance of forwards available by the TDL — and that if another team is thinking of selling their player, that team will a get better return now rather than waiting for the TDL when market value will dilute because there are too many like-players available.

Vancouver would prefer to do their TDL shopping now. Not at the actual deadline. They’d rather pay the premium now for the player they want, than get a bargain on an awkward fit.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Considering the most likely player to be moved out is Kuzmenko and he occupies the 5th spot on PP1, I think there's an excellent change that whoever they get will have a shot at that spot.
True, you are right on that.

Though that would improve the case for acquiring Mittelstadt or similarly offensively-slanted player.

Unless they just roll Hronek on PP1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia