Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | The Russians are Going!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I agree. They are winning. Leave it be.

Wha
We have something like 18 players over performing their contracts right now. So Mik is not. Did you think that every player would over perform at the same time? We are doing great. If the management teams deems its time to make a move ... fine. but Mik is doing okay. Stop whining that everything isn't perfect, FFS we are 1st OA in the league. What the hell do you want more than that.

My other pet peeve is all the peoples going"we should be all in". How many teams have been like the Bruins last year ... favoured to win the cup and get knocked out in the first round?

We need to seriously look at a chance to win he cup. FFS I want this as much as anyone. But It is a damn tough grind, and no matter how we look on paper, we may fail. And then we move on to the next season. We need to be a viable team EVERY GOD DAMN YEAR.

We are going to have contract and cap issues next year. Yes we should put a lot on the line. We have already done that. But stop with this "trade every asset for a marginal upgrade ... you know, because this is our last chance." Screw that. Play both the short game and the long game at the same time!

Edit - sorry I had major issues with my computer and had to reboot. I just edited to fix the many screwed up parts of my original post.

Last edited:

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
We have something like 18 players over performing their contracts right now. So Mik is not. Did you think that every player would over perform at the same time? We are doing great. If the management teams deems its time to make a move ... fine. but Mik is doing okay. Stop whining that everything isn't perfect, FFS we are 1st OA in the league. What the hell do you want more than that.

My other pet peeve is all the peoples going"we should be all in". How many teams have been like the Bruins last year ... favoured to win the cup and get knocked out in the first round?

We need to seriously look at a chance to win he cup. FFS I want this as much as anyone. But It is a damn tough grind, and no matter how we look on paper, we may fail. And then we move on to the next season. We need to be a viable team EVERY GOD DAMN YEAR.

We are going to have contract and cap issues next year. Yes we should put a lot on the line. We have already done that. But stop with this "trade every asset for a marginal upgrade ... you know, because this is our last chance." Screw that. Play both the short game and the long game at the same time!

Edit - sorry I had major issues with my computer and had to reboot. I just edited to fix the many screwed up parts of my original post.
I wasn't complaining!

Reactions: quat

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yes. Multiple factors have gone into this team's huge leap forward this year. Starting with...coaching, systems play, buy in, improved PK, etc. etc. Getting elite goaltending again is a huge factor as well. A lot of it has been personnel too. Getting the right "type" of players and the right attitudes and mentality here.

But i'm not trying to distill it down to one single player here. It's precisely the opposite. It's the people who are singling out Mikheyev as a "low value contract" or whatever it is, who are trying to change the recipe in a way that misses the point completely.

The reality is...it's working. Mikheyev is working. He's doing exactly what he should be expected to do. He's doing it as part of team who are being held to task and being asked to do exactly what they need to do. It makes no sense to move a key contributor to that formula which is working, and he's contributing at a demonstrably positive quality level to that success. Certainly not for guys who honestly just kinda suck. Wouldn't fit it.

It's like an even more absurd extension of the Hoglander thing. The whole, "This guy has been resurrected from the grave to become an obscenely effective player in exactly the minutes and role he's been deploy - and that is why he should immediately be switched to a completely different role and deployment altogether".

:dunno:
Sing it sister !!! :music:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yes. Multiple factors have gone into this team's huge leap forward this year. Starting with...coaching, systems play, buy in, improved PK, etc. etc. Getting elite goaltending again is a huge factor as well. A lot of it has been personnel too. Getting the right "type" of players and the right attitudes and mentality here.

But i'm not trying to distill it down to one single player here. It's precisely the opposite. It's the people who are singling out Mikheyev as a "low value contract" or whatever it is, who are trying to change the recipe in a way that misses the point completely.

The reality is...it's working. Mikheyev is working. He's doing exactly what he should be expected to do. He's doing it as part of team who are being held to task and being asked to do exactly what they need to do. It makes no sense to move a key contributor to that formula which is working, and he's contributing at a demonstrably positive quality level to that success. Certainly not for guys who honestly just kinda suck. Wouldn't fit it.

The bold are the points of contention. Mikheyev is quite clearly not doing what he's expected to do. The coach wants him to check faster, stay closer to his linemates, not kill plays and produce. He's got to pick it up. Now granted, he's able to play VAN's style while he figures it out... but he still has to figure it out.

I didn't like the signing when it was made. To me, it was unlikely that he would produce enough (overall) while not being a PP option. Fast forward to now, this is what's happening. And so, when you have a mid-value contract that is trending lower, and you need cap for Lindholm, Mikheyev is the easy trade candidate. However, if they can't re-sign Lindholm, then a mid~ value contract is fine on the team. It all depends upon how they can allocate the cap for best use.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks are on the hunt for a depth d-man, preferably a right-shot guy. But surfing through Cap Friendly, there appears to be precious little out there........and guys that could be on the move carry impossible cap-hits for a team like Vancouver.

But Allvin has a way of making chicken salad out of chicken feathers, so I'm expecting they've identified some 'under the radar' guy who can come in and give them playoff depth at the very least.

Reactions: David71

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The bold are the points of contention. Mikheyev is quite clearly not doing what he's expected to do. The coach wants him to check faster, stay closer to his linemates, not kill plays and produce. He's got to pick it up. Now granted, he's able to play VAN's style while he figures it out... but he still has to figure it out.

I didn't like the signing when it was made. To me, it was unlikely that he would produce enough (overall) while not being a PP option. Fast forward to now, this is what's happening. And so, when you have a mid-value contract that is trending lower, and you need cap for Lindholm, Mikheyev is the easy trade candidate. However, if they can't re-sign Lindholm, then a mid~ value contract is fine on the team. It all depends upon how they can allocate the cap for best use.

Yeah that’s a funny take considering Mikheyev is about to get booted out the top six for Garland, and Tocchet’s recently been criticizing his play in the press.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
If Allvin is looking for another forward I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Vatrano. Only way thats possible is if Soucy is LTIRed till the playoffs & ofcourse depends on the price.

Also wouldn't hurt to add some toughness to the 4th line & depth dman. Duhaime would be a really nice fit on the 4th line. Id also see if Maroon is available as he could bring some needed playoff experience to the locker room

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
If Allvin is looking for another forward I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Vatrano. Only way thats possible is if Soucy is LTIRed till the playoffs & ofcourse depends on the price.

Also wouldn't hurt to add some toughness to the 4th line & depth dman. Duhaime would be a really nice fit on the 4th line. Id also see if Maroon is available as he could bring some needed playoff experience to the locker room
Kicking the tires wont cut it, you need to phone them and give them an offer they can't refuse , imo

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Firstly, I'll apologize for the long post forthcoming, if you so choose to read.

Having said that, without knowing the availability of the market, I will assume there are countless players available that would be an upgrade to mik, that wouldn't cost the bounty of guentzel. I dont even think that should be an option. Scoring is not the teams issues, as nice as it would be to roll out 2 and a half lines(or 3 depending how anyone values roster) of offensive threats, this team is not one lacking of firepower. Ultimately, I agree with the logic that there is no instance where he needs to be traded, or seen as a detriment to this team atm. Some of yall are really shooting for the stars saying the only logic for upgrade is Guentzel or vatrano, or some ridiculous idea that more offense is the priority, which honestly, I don't think the team can or should afford, nor is it even a problem.

I do agree with not needing to disrupt what's good. Why f*** with a winning formula? But having said that if you do, you don't do it to win regular season games. Teams change tactics in the playoffs, and being the highest scoring team with the most wins means about as much as pre season predictions. Whistles go away and speed n scoring grind to a halt.

I believe in this roster more than any we've had in a long time, but those stl losses showed me, they have trouble w the grind it, physical wearing games that are close. The games where they lost to the other contenders, on the road, in col, DAL, and Vegas, where they had line change disadvantage, and calls that usually favor home team, the opposing top d, outpaced and out produced ours, and the scores weren't close.

Injuries are always a stroke of luck and no one can control that, but the winners avoided this, which is prob the biggest thing. The recent cup winners all had at least 7 d deep, where 2-3 prob coulda played on most other teams top pairing.

The teams 3rd line I feel is set. It shouldn't be changed, its value has shown, that it is the one line that can play in any style, irrelevant if it produces offense or not. It is the line that you almost never worry about.

The amalgam of the top 2 lines in regards to ep, El, jt, bb, and whoever fills the wings, whether it be ps and mik, or whomever, it's at the point of ride or die. If you think the difference in the team winning is offense, well I'll politely disagree.

My targets, sorry again for the essay, is depth at d, and rhd at that, which everyone agrees with. Nothing needed to add to that. Imho though, the other would probably be to shore up the 4th line. They are the balance. Roughly 10min a game, where you aren't worried defensively if they're caught out against a 1 or 2 line. They should have speed, size, and a grit that pressures and punishes opposing d in the dump Ins, understands their role.

I've been of the theory, that in the playoffs, you can't be losing your d to tit for tat calls, one's taken in scrums etc, because with 6 dressed, it burns the others out playing more. Atm, the teams defense, are it's bodyguards. You need fwd lines to have at least one guy to play the bad guy to not tax the back end.

Apologies again for the essay, I'm just thorough with my explanations 😅

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Call up Podkolzin and put him on the Miller line you cowards. IT'S TIME.

Honestly, if anyone deserves a callup for a chance on the Miller line, it might be Arshdeep Bains. The guy has a motor, skates well and is a better playmaker... and with two goal scorers in Miller and Boeser, I think he'd honestly be a better fit and also plays LW. Bring him up for a small handful of games, see how he does.

We could then put Suter down to solidify the 4th line as he is a big upgrade over Aman. If it's not clicking for Bains then he can drop back down to the AHL and we've given him his reward for playing so well down there and gives him a taste of what the next step is like.

Last edited:

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Before spending more assets on a top 6 LW why not move Hog up and Mik down and see how that works?

Suter - JT - BB
Hog - EP - Lind
Dak-Ted-Garl
Mik-Aman-Laff

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Before spending more assets on a top 6 LW why not move Hog up and Mik down and see how that works?

Suter - JT - BB
Hog - EP - Lind
Dak-Ted-Garl
Mik-Aman-Laff

Because we saw that a bunch in the pre-season/to start the season and it's clear Hoglander doesn't have the hockey IQ to intelligntly play off EP?

Hoglander and EP have played about 40 minutes of ice-time together and he's a huge drag on Petey's possession stats.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

IMG_2850.png

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I’m going to reiterate what I posted before—I think Kessel would be a very good elixir for the Canucks to take ahead of this postseason. In particular, their locker room.

First, this team is about to start hopefully a long playoff run and there will be ups and downs and ebbs and flows. Having another veteran like Kessel who has ridden that wave and will keep an even keel is very important for this team, especially considering how little playoff experience our core players have.

Second, Kessel—more so than maybe any other NHL player in recent history—gives zero f***s about the media and what they say. For a market like Vancouver, where the media pressure is intense, that presence would be worth its weight in gold. Someone who can help this core learn to NGAF about the media would be incredibly valuable. The 2011 playoff team was affected by the media and they cannot let that happen again to this team. Kessel could help galvanize this group against that.

Third, his on-ice utility may be limited. I would think of him as a 13th forward like the way Vegas used him. Perhaps on home ice you give him OZ starts or good matchups. He would also be a PP2 option. Then you could deploy him with the Miller line and move Suter down to 4C. But make no doubt, his real value would be at practice and in the locker room.

Fourth, he’d be worth it for the memes after they win the cup.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
He’d certainly be an interesting option on the 2nd unit PP. And someone to alternate off with Mikheyev or Suter if they go cold offensively.
Rather they start snooping around Toews’ backyard to see if he’s in game shape if they’re chasing after has-beens.

Reactions: biturbo19

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
do people watching podz in abbotsford think he is playing positionally well enough that tochett would trust him with meaningful minutes if he was called up? hoglander is still capped at 10 minutes a game with 14 goals.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The League apparently contacted the Canucks and told them they would be subject to yet another retroactive Cap recapture penalty if they sign either Kessel or Bonino...

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
canucks sent karlsson down and are running a 22 player roster with 12 forwards with $1.8m in ltir room. they are on the road on the east coast so if they lose a forward to illness or injury in practice they may be scrambling. they can't bank ltir.

unless they expect to activate pdg any moment, it seems a little odd they have not called up a depth forward.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
canucks sent karlsson down and are running a 22 player roster with 12 forwards with $1.8m in ltir room. they are on the road on the east coast so if they lose a forward to illness or injury in practice they may be scrambling. they can't bank ltir.

unless they expect to activate pdg any moment, it seems a little odd they have not called up a depth forward.

PDG has been a full participant in practices. They just have no reason to activate him until they want to make a roster change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad