Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | The Russians are Going!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I’d be curious to see what PDG looks like before the TDL. His season has been a tale of two halves. I like the theoretical lineup with Suter elevating that 4th line and being a “when things go bad, let’s move him up” guy anyways.

So yeah, throw PDG into the fire imo

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Yeah, there's a few configurations. Another is Aman is scratched and Lafferty plays centre. Or Lafferty is scratched. Could just be they don't want Karlsson sitting in the press box anymore.

I do think they'll want to bring PDG's tenacity back into the lineup, the team has been missing that a bit.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I do think they'll want to bring PDG's tenacity back into the lineup, the team has been missing that a bit.
At the beginning of the season, he had a dogged tenacity to outwork any of the opposition..a real spark..then faded into the background...Hopefully, he regains that form.

Reactions: oceanchild

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Call up Podkolzin and put him on the Miller line you cowards. IT'S TIME.

The question is...do you do this now? Potentially tip your hand?

Or do you wait...and just add another little piece at the deadline casually. then bring back the Pod at the playoffs approach?

I think Podkolzin is a lot more valuable right now as hidden depth. Leave teams thinking we've got this mystery box in the minors we could just call up instead. It's not like he hasn't had a stint of solid Top-9 caliber NHL play before.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The question is...do you do this now? Potentially tip your hand?

Or do you wait...and just add another little piece at the deadline casually. then bring back the Pod at the playoffs approach?

I think Podkolzin is a lot more valuable right now as hidden depth. Leave teams thinking we've got this mystery box in the minors we could just call up instead. It's not like he hasn't had a stint of solid Top-9 caliber NHL play before.
That may be overthinking it.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Let Podkilzin marinate in the AHL. He isnt even dominating down there. He is just starting to gain some momentum.

The last thing I want is to ruin that by calling him up here where he would have 0 ice time on the PP or PK.

We need the best version of Podkilzin next year and moving forward, let him play 20 min a night in Abby for now.

infinitebook

Jan 13, 2024
The problem with calling up podkolzin is that his old junior team SKA 1946 will start tweeting about him again, drawing more attention to the fact he is secretly Russian.

• Haha
Reactions: vanuck

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think there might be bonus overage/carry-over/pool shenanigans that prevent a Podkolzin call-up.

Very probably. Who knows exactly what his bonus conditions are, but they're often written in a way for Top Picks that makes them pretty easy to achieve. Which might indeed jeopardize some amount of cap space next year.

There's also really just no reason to do it right now. Go shopping. Get a guy. When we hit the playoffs, Podkolzin can be a black ace (if The Abbyford Farmers aren't still in it even).

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I swear to Jeebus, people who want to trade away Mikheyev have completely and thoroughly missed the entire point of what has made the Canucks team so good this year.

This is definitely happening. People are happy about the success but don’t understand it and immediately gravitate back toward wanting shiny crappy toys that would undermine that success.

This is a conversation i'd be a lot more willing to have. If things shape up in the offseason, maybe that becomes a pressure point. One of Mikheyev or Garland becomes a "luxury" we can't afford, or takes a lower priority than an impact Forward like trying to re-sign Lindholm.

But it's asinine to me to even be looking at the idea of moving a player like Mikheyev right in the middle of loading up for a playoff run this year. When he's doing exactly what he's being paid to do, at a very respectably high level. He also, unlike Garland...actually can play somewhat effectively with other skilled Top-6 Forwards.

We're just so far down the road from a point where we should be evaluating whether or not to keep Mikheyev though. It's goofy. Especially when the suggested replacements are guys who aren't as productive, and aren't as good at literally anything else either. You don't deliberately downgrade your team going into a playoff push. :laugh:

Yeah.

He’s a guy in a (predictable) lag coming off a major injury. Looked far better yesterday after some rest.

There might be a pressure point in the off-season where you look at moving him if, say, it comes down to extending Lindholm or keeping Mikheyev. But he’s obviously going nowhere right now.

Reactions: biturbo19

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why the heck are you concerned about next season right now? This team is at the top of the league, making big moves and loading up for a playoff run this year. And guys like Duclair and Mantha are flakey awful one-way player garbage that would be justifiably benched in an instant by Tocchet.

Mikheyev really isn't what you're characterizing him as either.

The guy is tied for 4th on one of the top scoring teams (with Garland) for Even Strength Points. He's more than holding up his end there. He's also comfortably within the Top-120 leaguewide for Even Strength Points. Which is very much Top-6 scoring level.

So f***ing what if he's bad on the Powerplay? He's rock solid everywhere else, including the PK.

I swear to Jeebus, people who want to trade away Mikheyev have completely and thoroughly missed the entire point of what has made the Canucks team so good this year.

Coaching? Their scoring despite their shot metrics? Their goaltending consistency? Strong PP? Improved PK? Multiple factors have improved to make this team very good this year, but I wouldn't isolate it to any one player, unless we're talking about Hughes getting even better than he has been.

That said, this really isn't about whether Mikheyev is a decent enough player (he's ok). It's that the standard for what gets kept around for the money has changed. You pay for points. And unfortunately, he's capped in that regard, much like Garland. It happens to good ES producers that also aren't PP producers. This is why Miller's production is a hedge against his aging, while players like Garland and Mikheyev don't have as much leeway. There's just not enough money to go around.

The good thing with Mikheyev is he's unlikely to force the Canucks' hand here. Kuzmenko couldn't be played (or wouldn't be), Mikheyev will be given the chance. But the timeline is not indefinite.

Reactions: Tact

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
so does anyone know where to find out the time the canucks have spent leading, tied, within 1 or trailing and how we rank against other teams?

also are there stats comparing shots for and against by team when leading, tied or trailing?

i'd ideally like to compare our shooting for and against rates in different situations to other good teams to see how much score effect is influencing our outlier stats, including the fact we allow more shots against and more high danger chances than other good teams. it does not take much imagination to conclude that score effect when leading will result in more shots against and will also increase team shooting% because of shot selection when leading.

Natural Stat Trick has all this info:

Reactions: krutovsdonut

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Let Podkilzin marinate in the AHL. He isnt even dominating down there. He is just starting to gain some momentum.

The last thing I want is to ruin that by calling him up here where he would have 0 ice time on the PP or PK.

We need the best version of Podkilzin next year and moving forward, let him play 20 min a night in Abby for now.

Yeah, 100% agree. He needs the Hoglander treatment: let him do his reps in the AHL, get the system down pat, so he has that to fall back on when he's back with the team.

He's shown enough in the past that he's an NHL player, but he's looked lost at times. The best time for him to be back on the roster is when the pressure is lower at the start of next season. Right now the team is gearing up for the playoffs, it is just not the time to have a young player work out his kinks.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Coaching? Their scoring despite their shot metrics? Their goaltending consistency? Strong PP? Improved PK? Multiple factors have improved to make this team very good this year, but I wouldn't isolate it to any one player, unless we're talking about Hughes getting even better than he has been.

That said, this really isn't about whether Mikheyev is a decent enough player (he's ok). It's that the standard for what gets kept around for the money has changed. You pay for points. And unfortunately, he's capped in that regard, much like Garland. It happens to good ES producers that also aren't PP producers. This is why Miller's production is a hedge against his aging, while players like Garland and Mikheyev don't have as much leeway. There's just not enough money to go around.

The good thing with Mikheyev is he's unlikely to force the Canucks' hand here. Kuzmenko couldn't be played (or wouldn't be), Mikheyev will be given the chance. But the timeline is not indefinite.

Yes. Multiple factors have gone into this team's huge leap forward this year. Starting with...coaching, systems play, buy in, improved PK, etc. etc. Getting elite goaltending again is a huge factor as well. A lot of it has been personnel too. Getting the right "type" of players and the right attitudes and mentality here.

But i'm not trying to distill it down to one single player here. It's precisely the opposite. It's the people who are singling out Mikheyev as a "low value contract" or whatever it is, who are trying to change the recipe in a way that misses the point completely.

The reality is...it's working. Mikheyev is working. He's doing exactly what he should be expected to do. He's doing it as part of team who are being held to task and being asked to do exactly what they need to do. It makes no sense to move a key contributor to that formula which is working, and he's contributing at a demonstrably positive quality level to that success. Certainly not for guys who honestly just kinda suck. Wouldn't fit it.

This is definitely happening. People are happy about the success but don’t understand it and immediately gravitate back toward wanting shiny crappy toys that would undermine that success.

Yeah.

He’s a guy in a (predictable) lag coming off a major injury. Looked far better yesterday after some rest.

There might be a pressure point in the off-season where you look at moving him if, say, it comes down to extending Lindholm or keeping Mikheyev. But he’s obviously going nowhere right now.

It's like an even more absurd extension of the Hoglander thing. The whole, "This guy has been resurrected from the grave to become an obscenely effective player in exactly the minutes and role he's been deploy - and that is why he should immediately be switched to a completely different role and deployment altogether".

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad