Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Is it September yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Canucks Army reporting via Rick Dhaliwal that Vancouver is one of a number of teams interested in Miles Wood, the impending Jersey Devils UFA forward. Still only 27 and coming off a 13-goal season.

And I see the Oilers are rumored to be cutting adrift Klim Kostin. I thought he looked decent for Edmonton in the playoffs.

Any interest from the Canucks in either guy? They might both come cheap.
We need more cap space, We failed at trading a winger.
Simple as that

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Also, do we think Sheldon Dries makes the team out of camp? He was used quite a lot last season, and I think he could make it as a 13th~ forward

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Foote has gone a long way on his name and two very good organizations have now bailed.

He's just not a good enough skater, not skilled enough to be anything more than a fringe 6-7 guy in the NHL.

I'd be OK with signing him as a #7 RD if his dad wasn't on the coaching staff, but I feel like as things are that's setting up a situation for a fringe guy to become an overplayed pet and I don't want to go there.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Uh, replacing one bad player with two much better players at the same cap hit is absolutely a win.
It won’t move the needle though.

This team is still a playoff bubble team at best if everything goes right.

They need more.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
hopefully theres more wheeling and dealing on day 2 of the draft. garland beuviller/boeser gone for a defenseman.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I adore seeing a lot of the same people who say, "We never have cap space and when we do, we never act shrewdly by waiting until after day 2 of free agency to pick up bargains. We should also have extra cap for when teams need space immediately and move good players for pennies on the dollar" (all of which has truth to it).

Saying things like, "We need to make a trade immediately! Clearly PA is in over his head. Everything is bad and I'm mad all of the time. It's not a me problem, it's just that everything sucks."

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It won’t move the needle though.

This team is still a playoff bubble team at best if everything goes right.

They need more.

Devon Toews and Jaccob Slavin aren't available on the left side right now.

I don't want Alvin to over commit but 3 yrs to Soucy and 1 yr to Cole makes us a much better team and absolutely moves the needle until better options might present themselves.

'They need more'. So Adam Graves? Then we can spin our wheels on how overpaid he is.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hoping to see a winger or two moved out prior to UFA but I get the feeling that may have to wait until the UFA market is established and some teams that miss out circle back to the Canucks.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Rome wasn’t built in day. It’s going to take a bit of time to turn this team into a contender. Just getting the carcass of OEL off the team is an initial win. Cole and/or Soucy on the left side is a step in the direction to improving the squad and it buys them some time moving forward.

It would be nice to move out a winter tomorrow and free up some $$. But maybe it might be more fun to watch the tantrums if they just make the picks and nothing happens on the trade front just yet.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Probably dependent on SJ moving Karlsson first. Or maybe it has to do with the Tyler Myers signing bonus?

Not surprised that SJ/Myers could be a fit. They need defense and a tank commander.

I wonder if the Canucks are wanting to see if they can snag a D or two in free agency before moving Myers. Right now, they basically have Hughes, Myers and Hronek under contract as experienced NHL defenders. I’m sure they are planning on some younger players (Hirose, for example) taking a run at a permanent roster spot, but having 3 - or 4, if you move Myers now - spots open to players who don’t have a lot of experience is a bit risky.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wonder if the Canucks are wanting to see if they can snag a D or two in free agency before moving Myers. Right now, they basically have Hughes, Myers and Hronek under contract as experienced NHL defenders. I’m sure they are planning on some younger players (Hirose, for example) taking a run at a permanent roster spot, but having 3 - or 4, if you move Myers now - spots open to players who don’t have a lot of experience is a bit risky.

This was kind of my takeaway as well. Sharks trade Karlsson, Canucks officially sign the guys they want, and then maybe Myers lands in San Jose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad