Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | All in Allvin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Canucks should consider a move for Zegras while he is still on the LTIR (until the playoffs).

Moving Kuzy ++ out for Zegras for example, instantly opens up 5M in space with which to do other deals.
spock-leonard-nimoy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The Canucks should consider a move for Zegras while he is still on the LTIR (until the playoffs).

Moving Kuzy ++ out for Zegras for example, instantly opens up 5M in space with which to do other deals.

A surprising take. Is it because Zegras is 6 ft tall instead of 5'11"? Definitely not a player I would have thought you would like.

They aren't moving Zadorov right this moment unless they have an immediate trade lined up or Soucy will be back soon. The whole reason they acquired him was because Soucy was injured and they started to play .500 hockey.

This. Their timeline was pushed up due to their record and Soucy injury. Too bad, waiting a bit longer would have held the cap space back and they could have signed Bear to a multi-year. In that same sense, I thought they would keep him due to Soucy's current injury... This doesn't seem like an upgrade play (Chychrun), but rather a movie to secure a similarly valued RHD. They can use Wolanin as the team's 4LHD.

Bizarre to move Zadarov right now. Just use him as a self rental for the playoffs. It's not like they paid a ton to acquire him and he fills an obvious need when things get more physical over the course of a 7-game series.

In order to employ that physicality, he'd have take a regular shift in the playoffs...

It's not bizarre at all. Rather than the insurance, they can instead find a rental/short-term option to create redundancy on the right side. Someone to supplant Juulsen.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Mikhayev and Kuzmenko were targets by this management to make us faster and more skilled it's worked and they still provide positive scoring and shot metrics. A motivated and driven playoff Pettersson will be able to do just fine between these 2 especially with a Hoglander injection time to time and special teams play

The line that needs help is Miller and Boeser.

Whether it's Podkolzin or a trade something needs to be done that can help these 2 drive play and help the defensive side or this will be our undoing. The Lotto line scenario is not a good one and is basically saying we can't score outside of our top trio and then it becomes easier for teams to just scrum and trap it up while they are on the ice and beat us when they are not.

I see the Zadorov talks as nothing other than a smart management team using the little leverage they have left to try and get him signed reasonably before he just becomes a rental.

Top6 LW and a depth RD and maybe a versatile depth forward is all we need. I dont think you can start looking for our Marian Hossa until this off season and at the same time a younger more reliable RD instead of Myers would be wise

I really want to see Hoglander given a shot with Miller and Boeser. I dont see why he cant do what PDG at the start of the season but better

Zegras is like the complete opposite of a Rick Tocchet player

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Kuzmenko looks like a Selke candidate compared to Zegras at this stage of his career. Add the fact he acts like a immature entitled douche and would probably immediately piss off all of Hughes Miller and Pettersson i'm not sure he's a good idea given where were at.

And i do think he will be back at some point soon scoring at or near PPGame but we need to be mindful of our core and the fact Anaheim probably still has big plans for him plus the cost it would take to acquire and how that all comes together.

Also the timing of when he (if he does) become a good 200ft player in playoff style games likely isn't the greatest as well as his role and deployment which would be taking pucks away from Miller and Pettersson on the PP.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This. Their timeline was pushed up due to their record and Soucy injury. Too bad, waiting a bit longer would have held the cap space back and they could have signed Bear to a multi-year. In that same sense, I thought they would keep him due to Soucy's current injury... This doesn't seem like an upgrade play (Chychrun), but rather a movie to secure a similarly valued RHD. They can use Wolanin as the team's 4LHD.

Too bad for who?

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Too bad for who?
Bear is getting scratched on a terrible Washington team, Zadorov is a much better player regardless of contract status. Poster was suggesting Nikita Zaitsev could help our right side though, so…

Reactions: Nick Lang

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Mikhayev at 23 ES pts after a ACL with good defensive play is doing just fine. I get the frustrations as he has struggled to look like the next level speed demon of when we acquired him but he's still very much a reason for this teams turnaround and his productivity as the 3rd wheel on a top6 is decent

Kuzmenko you do wonder about. It's one thing to be struggling to score but quite another when missing defensive assignments and actively sabotaging the team through bad reads and effort.

I obviously want whats best for the team and they should be turning over every stone possible but it's gonna be incredibly difficult to both find a Top6 for Miller Boeser and one for Pettersson by the deadline and move Kuzmenko in a timely fashion without creating negative backlash and erroneously blowing assets that can keep us cost efficient and competitive going forward

I'm not really bullish on it but I don't see the same positives on Mik as you do. He's an overpaid injury prone 3rd liner imo. Not really pulling his weight in comparison to the rest of the team. Sure his injury is partially to blame but that doesn't change the situation. I don't think Mik gets that many points if he isn't playing with Petey. He is presumably getting more healthy as the season so that's a good thing I suppose if we keep him. I'm not sure he has the grind it out mental attitude needed for the playoffs but I also haven't seen much of him with Toronto that I recall being either good or bad. But I did notice Nylander.

It's also just an opinion but I see the Petey line as needing an upgrade more than the Miller line. I agree though it's tough to know just how to go about it. Chemistry is also a big issue. Right now we got it, and don't want to lose it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I really want to see Hoglander given a shot with Miller and Boeser. I dont see why he cant do what PDG at the start of the season but better

Zegras is like the complete opposite of a Rick Tocchet player
I actually want to see Podkolzin with them if he's rebuilt his confidence on puck as i think his game is more tailored but my concern with him or Hoglander is keeping the consistent decisions and work rates in tougher roles.

For Hoglander his wall play in his own zone is a concern in bigger minutes and he's most effective as the F1. I'm not sure he'll be nearly as effective when he has to be the guy creating open ice and helping defend for 15-16 min instead of 11-12 and then bursting in on the forecheck to free up pucks for JT and Brock.

Certainly wouldn't mind seeing it given another go after the break

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Something must have happened with zadorov, this all makes no sense

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Too bad for who?

I think it would have been for us. Bear is on pace for a -34 over an 82 game schedule. Sandin and Trevor Van Riemsdyk on pace for a -20 and Carlson, Edmundson, Fehervary, Jensen, all considerably better. I'm not sure he's even starting all the games anymore.

Reactions: m9

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Mikhayev at 23 ES pts after a ACL with good defensive play is doing just fine. I get the frustrations as he has struggled to look like the next level speed demon of when we acquired him but he's still very much a reason for this teams turnaround and his productivity as the 3rd wheel on a top6 is decent

Kuzmenko you do wonder about. It's one thing to be struggling to score but quite another when missing defensive assignments and actively sabotaging the team through bad reads and effort.

I obviously want whats best for the team and they should be turning over every stone possible but it's gonna be incredibly difficult to both find a Top6 for Miller Boeser and one for Pettersson by the deadline and move Kuzmenko in a timely fashion without creating negative backlash and erroneously blowing assets that can keep us cost efficient and competitive going forward

They represent effectively $10M in total cap. That's almost $3M in total cap hit more than the entire third line. I don't really have an issue with Mikheyev as a player even though he's a shadow of his former self, but given the outperformance of other contracts, you simply have to rely on the pro-scouting to get better value out of those contracts. He is an overpaid third liner and the value discrepancy is even more blatant given the pro-scouting success this past summer.

Given the Canucks salary cap situation, and the pending free agents (both restricted and unrestricted) you don't have the luxury of having salary inefficiency like Kuzmenko and Mikheyev on the roster after this season.

In fact, if you want to meaningfully add to the roster heading into the playoffs, you really have to move Kuzmenko right now.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
What can a package of Zadorov, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev and Milstein get on the open market?

if you watch the clip, it's much less wild than Taj depicts it as. Mostly Taylor trying to stir stuff up and Dhali not knowing the answer.

Thank you. Taj makes everything sound so dramatic.

Seawateronice eats a sandwich.

Taj: Seawateronice picks a sandwich over sushi. Maybe doesn't like Japanese people?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Kuzmenko looks like a Selke candidate compared to Zegras at this stage of his career. Add the fact he acts like a immature entitled douche and would probably immediately piss off all of Hughes Miller and Pettersson i'm not sure he's a good idea given where were at.
FWIW Zegras and Hughes are good friends.

Not a huge fan of Zegras but the talent is undeniable. Was listening to Drance yesterday and he pointed out that many recent Cup winners have gambled on a similar distressed asset and won: Ryan O'Reilly, Nazem Kadri, Jack Eichel, etc.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm not really bullish on it but I don't see the same positives on Mik as you do. He's an overpaid injury prone 3rd liner imo. Not really pulling his weight in comparison to the rest of the team. Sure his injury is partially to blame but that doesn't change the situation. I don't think Mik gets that many points if he isn't playing with Petey. He is presumably getting more healthy as the season so that's a good thing I suppose if we keep him. I'm not sure he has the grind it out mental attitude needed for the playoffs but I also haven't seen much of him with Toronto that I recall being either good or bad. But I did notice Nylander.

It's also just an opinion but I see the Petey line as needing an upgrade more than the Miller line. I agree though it's tough to know just how to go about it. Chemistry is also a big issue. Right now we got it, and don't want to lose it.
i think were mostly on the same page as it was a bit high and long for Mikhayev but if you look at teams forwards 4-7 you will find Mikhayev comfortably producing at a reasonable rate. And i agree he's not what you would consider a highly skilled smart top6 scorer and playing with Pettersson does mean your getting some token points but that could be said for many so it's very much about the quality in his role vs pure production.

The one thing this management group and coaching has been able address is meshing player strengths and weaknesses to form good line combinations. Most lines with success form some kind of trio of a F1 that can be a fast disruptor and turnover pucks plus 2 players who in combination can keep possession and produce scoring chances. Usually someone needs to be an effective net presence, someone ideally who can quarterback and then a strong defensive player is a bonus if the 2 best offensive guys are doing their thing.

In a cap world you have to distribute wealth and Mikhayev is a good 3rd wheel type who brings plus speed size defensive play and is a good forechecker. He can frustrate as he's usually the weak link offensively in creativity and possession and he could stand to be more aggressive at getting to the net and isnt what you would classify as a good net front player either which hurts that line as Kuzmenko after all last years clever tips and deflections around the net has fallen off a cliff.

This has in turn hurt Pettersson more as it would be like switching Boeser and Kuzmenko and then expecting Miller to be as effective so i can agree with your which line needs help more opinion i guess im just having hard time moving off the stance that eventually Kuzmenko will get it going. It's a really big problem if were wanting to make noise and he can't to a respectable degree

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
FWIW Zegras and Hughes are good friends.

Not a huge fan of Zegras but the talent is undeniable. Was listening to Drance yesterday and he pointed out that many recent Cup winners have gambled on a similar distressed asset and won: Ryan O'Reilly, Nazem Kadri, Jack Eichel, etc.
To be fair, none of those players were considered terrible defensively like Zegras is. They were distressed, if they even were, for other reasons.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
What can a package of Zadorov, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev and Milstein get on the open market?

Thank you. Taj makes everything sound so dramatic.

Seawateronice eats a sandwich.

Taj: Seawateronice picks a sandwich over sushi. Maybe doesn't like Japanese people?
the funny thing is its just a 4 minute clip. Nobody needs this transcribed or summarized.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This sounds like a whole lot of nothing and Dhaliwal is saying as much.

I believe Friedman has echoed the smoke around Zadarov. Something is going on.

You’re not trading Zadorov unless you’re getting an upgrade on defense with Soucy’s injury.

They'll wait until Soucy's returns, likely before March 8th, and then move on from Zadarov.

Also, a lateral move for a RHD still improves this team in a net sense. Especially if Zadorov is in tough to beat Juulsen out for a right side spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad