Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Aggressive Allvin and Trader Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
And if that does happen it's not like Vancouver would have an easy time signing him, his next contract is going to be roughly the same as Guentzel's.

I don’t think it’ll be that much but I struggle to see how he would fit into the Canucks salary structure given the other two RFAs already on the roster.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Sure. But who do we have that would interest them? They’re probably looking for immediate help. Not futures.

Defensemen probably. I said previously could see them being interested in acquiring and extending Zadorov or Soucy, with the package including one of our top prospects and the 1st.

Other teams probably have a better chance though, if they have young, top-four defenders on offer.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I don’t think it’ll be that much but I struggle to see how he would fit into the Canucks salary structure given the other two RFAs already on the roster.

The Canucks have the cap space to add an impact player in addition to re-upping Hronek and Pettersson. They'd have to fill out the roster with cheap depth but I would argue this is the best way for the Canucks to improve.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
You either acquire Middelstadt (dream scenario), or Lindholm (rental, which I wouldn’t want). Or you acquire a solid winger like Guentzel and break up the lotto line which is fine.

I’d trade for Guentzel— 1st rounder, B prospect+ Kuzmenko.

Resign him long term.

Guentzel-Petey-Mikheyev
Hog-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Suter-Aman-Lafferty

Same Defense.

In the off-season, let Joshua walk as he will want too much; his shooting percentage isn’t sustainable and Blueger and Garland drive that line anyways. Podkolzin can fill that spot. If Lafferty walks that’s fine too: Re-sign everyone else (Myers at way cheaper). And we should fit everyone under the cap.

What would Casey Mittelstadt cost?
I'm pretty sure your right on about the cost of getting Guentzel.That is probably the cost.1sy rounder,roster player and a prospect.
I hate the idea of Mikheyev on any of the top 2 lines tho,,he belongs on the 3rd or 4th line.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The Canucks have the cap space to add an impact player in addition to re-upping Hronek and Pettersson. They'd have to fill out the roster with cheap depth but I would argue this is the best way for the Canucks to improve.

I dunno if I'd say they have it, but they could open it up by moving a few of the higher-priced wingers. As it stands, I think they have about $53M in cap under contract in 2024-2025, then assuming Pettersson and Hronek make around $20M AAV combined.

Under around an $88M cap figure that leaves you $15M for the rest, including two top-four defensemen and 2/3rds of the third line. Assuming the 8 UFAs, including De Smith, that's around $1.875M per player. Adding another $8M-$9M for Guentzel, for example, would put them in tight as currently constructed.

That's obviously before you move any or all of Garland, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev. Who open up another $15M. So it could maybe be done.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Would Hronek take a short 2 year deal like Gavrikov and try to hit it big when the cap is even higher, that could be beneficial for both sides. Not sure PA will be able to find league minimum talent to replace all the cap casualties this team will have next season.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Joshua is the one guy you may get a bit of a hometown discount on since the team showed a lot faith in him etc. but yeah he may just cash in.

I think they’ll sign Zadorov to a contract most aren’t comfortable with, and two of Garland, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev likely need to go.
I would be all for bringing Joshua back. Like him a lot... I just see even with a discount it is probably too much.

I have talked myself into saying moving Garland is the right move. His value has to have seen a good turnaround and he should have some worth, plus, I really do think Hogs can replace him, and then its easier to back fill that forth line spot.

Zadorov is hard, cause it depends really what his ask is. I think With Soucy signed it gives you some flexibility.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Would Hronek take a short 2 year deal like Gavrikov and try to hit it big when the cap is even higher, that could be beneficial for both sides. Not sure PA will be able to find league minimum talent to replace all the cap casualties this team will have next season.
IMO this would be a Klingberg level decision. Cap is rising this season already so teams will have money, and he’s playing with a top 3 D in the world. It would be a very stupid risk. He should take the best 7-8 year deal on the table.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I was pretty hesitant about the Mikheyev deal as well, but I'm always hesitant about long-term deals before a guy has played a minute for your team. Generally bad business. But this is a bit of a Roussel situation to me where he might have been worth that deal without a devastating knee injury so I don't think anyone should be doing victory laps.

That being said, fair to question his inability to stay healthy in Toronto & also why he didn't opt for surgery earlier last year. Those topics have been beaten to death though and at this point I'm just hoping Mikheyev can bounce back a bit here.

For me, it was about Mik’s offensive production. He came here with one season where he finished like a top 6 player and we are paying him to produce like a top 2nd line winger.

To be fair to him, he’s kind of come as advertised despite his knee injury. It’s kind of unfortunate that we didn’t get a chance to see him at 100%. He’s kind of like Garland. We aren’t getting plus value but they are far from anchors. The fit hasn’t been all that great. Mik doesn’t even kill penalties on this team.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I suppose the logic would be that if they acquire Lindholm now, he can then centre Kuzy and Miky and he might help resurrect Kuzy so they would not have to give up more assets in another trade to replace Kuzy.

If this is true, it follows they will push on Lindholm soon and see if it is working out in advance of the trade deadline and then decide if they need to make another trade or not.

Lindholm's value is probably at an all time low so this is another reason for them to act now.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
High unlikely. His perceived value will never be higher. He's coming off a career season and Walsh knows now is the time to secure the bag.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I wonder if a 1st gets it done for Tanev? Would love him to round out the defence and see him retire a Canuck

Also all this about adding a top 6 winger has me thinking about Boldy and how good he would have looked in our top 6.... was the easy choice on draft day but Jim Benning big brained himself

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I wonder if a 1st gets it done for Tanev? Would love him to round out the defence and see him retire a Canuck

Also all this about adding a top 6 winger has me thinking about Boldy and how good he would have looked in our top 6.... was the easy choice on draft day but Jim Benning big brained himself
I would think it would, feels weird paying that much for him though. A 2nd prospect would be preferred, so we could use the 1st upgrade our forwards.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
On Garland - the cap going flat impacted winter trade values the hardest. With the cap finally beginning to increase, I think a deal like Garland’s will soon be considered a bargain and would be much more easily moveable - not that I’m advocating moving him. I think he brings elements to this team that we sorely need and I feel like his game is primed for the playoffs.

Reactions: TruGr1t and Vector

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
A quick reminder for some fans on what one of the first messages was from JR when he was hired. He stated that he wanted the minor league/upcoming talent to have more time learning their craft in their leagues before making the next jump up.

I think this is exactly what we are seeing now with Karlsson coming up while Raty, Bains, Sasson and Podz stay down in the A. J & A nailed so many of their 1 and done signings this year, it's insane how many of the signings and trades have come up Milhouse.

With the Sedins et al. In the AHL and training and also giving updates to the head office, I have a LOT more faith in the behind the scenes stuff this year

Last edited:

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
The time for Brandon Saad has arrived.

I want to swap Kuzmenko for him, we all know Saad is a playoff player.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Man that I never knew that OEL buyout penalty was as bad as it is.

4.7 million in dead cap space in 2026 and 2027.

This year may be our only shot.. I'd go in on Guentzel, f*** it

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
He is? I missed that memo. No interest in Saad and his additional 2 years at $4.5m...hard pass for me.
One million cheaper than Kuzmenko, we get cheaper and we do get better I think, Saad is a solid player. But there is a risk, and Kuzmenko could still turn it around. Also, the dead cap space with OEL, are we screwed ? Or do you think Allvin and co will make it work

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
One million cheaper than Kuzmenko, we get cheaper and we do get better I think, Saad is a solid player. But there is a risk, and Kuzmenko could still turn it around. Also, the dead cap space with OEL, are we screwed ? Or do you think Allvin and co will make it work
I'd rather waive Kuzmenko and sign Kessel than trade for Saad...and I don't even like that idea.

We aren't "screwed", they'll make it work because they HAVE to make it work...Minny has over $14m this year and next year in dead cap, the OEL dead cap is a nuisance more than anything debilitating...I'm just glad we seem to have capable people at the helm to navigate it.

Reactions: andora and Play
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad