Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Aggressive Allvin and Trader Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I was pretty hesitant about the Mikheyev deal as well, but I'm always hesitant about long-term deals before a guy has played a minute for your team. Generally bad business. But this is a bit of a Roussel situation to me where he might have been worth that deal without a devastating knee injury so I don't think anyone should be doing victory laps.

That being said, fair to question his inability to stay healthy in Toronto & also why he didn't opt for surgery earlier last year. Those topics have been beaten to death though and at this point I'm just hoping Mikheyev can bounce back a bit here.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't see why a 2nd afternoon game is any worse than a regular b2b at a later time

Players have said an early game on the second of a b2b, with travel, is extremely difficult. Every extra hour they can get to recoup becomes important.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Players have said an early game on the second of a b2b, with travel, is extremely difficult. Every extra hour they can get to recoup becomes important.

Sure but the early game the previous day mitigates that

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I posted a link above, our b2bs are actually pretty good this year, both compared against the league in general and compared to the amount our opponents get
It’s more the amount of travel and b2b we have had. We had 3 b2b in a month with heavy travel schedule. Even if the 1st leg of those b2b is easier, it evens out considering you end up being the tired team on the 2nd leg with road travel.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I could see the logic in the thought process. Our overall team speed was shit and we also needed better two-way players that could PK. Mik had decent advanced stats and was good 5 v 5. He was signed to be a top 6 player. I think our GM horribly read the FA market that summer and paid a premium for wingers though.

Yeah you could see the fit, and it would have been a lot better on a lower term without the NTC. Now it’s an unwieldy deal that’s going to be tough to move, which was always the issue.

Reactions: m9

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Sure but the early game the previous day mitigates that

Not on the road going West to East. You lose any extra time during the time change. Also the exhaustion sets in between games. You don’t get to be extra rested for the first and that carries over to the second, you’re still exhausted with no recovery time.

I’m confused why you’re arguing this because it’s always been a thing and was pointed out by fans, media, and players during that road trip.

Reactions: m9

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Strictyly talking off season and if we have all of them still, I think Joshua has priced himself out of what we can afford. I would look to move Garland, he should have good value after this season. Plus I think Hogs can now replace him. Laff you should still be able to sign cheap in comparison to Joshua so probably keep him. Look to have him and Hogs on the 3rd line Try to reisign Bluegar as well. Fill the rest with cheap depth.

Defence sign Hronek, probably going to cost us 8 mil... oh well. Pay you top guys.
Soucy slides up to top 4, after that its depending on what people ask. We haven't heard too much about dollar for big Z, just term... so maybe we can get him for cheap if we offer a lot of years?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It’s more the amount of travel and b2b we have had. We had 3 b2b in a month with heavy travel schedule. Even if the 1st leg of those b2b is easier, it evens out considering you end up being the tired team on the 2nd leg with road travel.

Ya, I don't really see it but I don't care enough to argue. Fair enough.

Seemed to come out of it with an excellent record and extremely healthy so no need to dwell.

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Strictyly talking off season and if we have all of them still, I think Joshua has priced himself out of what we can afford. I would look to move Garland, he should have good value after this season. Plus I think Hogs can now replace him. Laff you should still be able to sign cheap in comparison to Joshua so probably keep him. Look to have him and Hogs on the 3rd line Try to reisign Bluegar as well. Fill the rest with cheap depth.

Defence sign Hronek, probably going to cost us 8 mil... oh well. Pay you top guys.
Soucy slides up to top 4, after that its depending on what people ask. We haven't heard too much about dollar for big Z, just term... so maybe we can get him for cheap if we offer a lot of years?

Joshua is the one guy you may get a bit of a hometown discount on since the team showed a lot faith in him etc. but yeah he may just cash in.

I think they’ll sign Zadorov to a contract most aren’t comfortable with, and two of Garland, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev likely need to go.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I feel like I must be very out of the loop because I am honestly shocked anyone would call acquiring Casey Middlestadt the "dream scenario."
If the Nucks are planning to purge prospects and draft picks it makes more sense to acquire younger players that are not rentals that are pending UFAs.

The list of these is fairly short so Casey Middlestadt or Dylan Cozens (having a poor season) would be ideal even if they have to overpay.

Reactions: David71

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Joshua is the one guy you may get a bit of a hometown discount on since the team showed a lot faith in him etc. but yeah he may just cash in.

I think they’ll sign Zadorov to a contract most aren’t comfortable with, and two of Garland, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev likely need to go.
I think I am fine with them overpaying Zadorov a bit. Stability on the backend is more important. If we have him, then the back is
Hughes - Hronek
Zadorov / Soucy - ???
Soucy/ Zadorov - Juulsen

Based on what we’ve seen this year, that should be pretty good even with the 2nd RHD being a question mark

Reactions: racerjoe

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think I am fine with them overpaying Zadorov a bit. Stability on the backend is more important. If we have him, then the back is
Hughes - Hronek
Zadorov / Soucy - ???
Soucy/ Zadorov - Juulsen

Based on what we’ve seen this year, that should be pretty good even with the 2nd RHD being a question mark

Best you can probably hope for is they get Zadorov and Myers both signed for around $7M in total cap hit and work from there.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hughes allows you to go with two 4/5 guys on the left side going forward and I think Zadorov & Soucy are pretty much the ideal guys for that role assuming Zadorov's ask isn't crazy. I would get that done.

Right side is more wide open to me and I'm open to pretty much anything.

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think its eight and a half minimum, very likely nine mills

That's wild ... I don't think either guy is sniffing $5M AAV so not sure how that works. If they really push out free agency I could see both maybe getting $4M AAV on shorter-term deals.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I just don't see it happening unless Casey Middlestadt has already demanded a trade or has stated his intent not to sign his next contract. Makes zero sense for Buffalo to move him.

If Mittelstadt doesn't sign long term it makes complete sense for the Sabres to move him. His name is already being rumored by Sabres beat writers.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yep.. i really think this system plays so much into these guys. I mean i believe it is a method of preventing odd man breaks against but i believe these guys are coached not to take shitty shots - specifically ones from bad angles and certainly not while 2 to 4 guys are all skating into the zone

If he all of a sudden pops up in a system that values shots - alot changes from what is actually making him successful. Possession boardwork and and short passing
Joshua is definitely good at those things. And he doesn't really waste shots. But I agree, these are all things accentuated by how Tocchet wants to play. And further to my play-driver (Garland) point, all of the transition work (DZ exits turning into OZ entries) is done by Garland, and it's Garland and Bluger running the right routes on the NZ forecheck to turn pucks back over for them. Blueger also has shown more of a playmaking touch.

Joshua, to his credit, seems to read the play well to be in good spots to receive scoring chances, and has some nice hands around the net. But to me, is the 3rd wheel on that line. This is his shot at a bigger contract and I hope he gets it. Just not with VAN.

Garland drives that line and Blueger should be prioritized on a roster with 1 or 2 true Cs. Stick Hoglander or even Bains/Podkolzin on that line next year and it’ll be just fine.
That is my view as well. Joshua is the most replaceable element of that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia