Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

iRageWin

Aug 7, 2014
Dhaliwal on SN650: "Milstein/Zadorov looking for $5M+ on his next contract at 'big' term".

Do you take Hronek at $8M or Zadorov/Tanev at $9.5M?
That's actually encouraging, if his agent is asking 5M+, we can probably settle under 5M (hopefully around or under 4.5) given Zadorov wants to stay, which is a fair rate. The only thing I'm wondering is how much term he wants, I'd prefer giving him 3 years, max 4, anything beyond that he's gonna be hard to move at the end of his contract.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
That's actually encouraging, if his agent is asking 5M+, we can probably settle under 5M (hopefully around or under 4.5) given Zadorov wants to stay, which is a fair rate. The only thing I'm wondering is how much term he wants, I'd prefer giving him 3 years, max 4, anything beyond that he's gonna be hard to move at the end of his contract.

I would wager you're looking at 6+ years if you want any hope of that cap hit.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the endless zadorov contract discussions here surprise me. he's just not that important a piece to spill so much virtual ink over. i also don't really want to give second pair cap money to a guy as inconsistent and volatile as zadorov ito play behind hughes. the size and intimidation is nice, and maybe necessary, especially in the playoffs, but i think we ideally need a steady eddie professor type behind hughes who stays calm, reads other teams and locks things down.

Reactions: vancityluongo

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
the endless zadorov contract discussions here surprise me. he's just not that important a piece to spill so much virtual ink over. i also don't really want to give second pair cap money to a guy as inconsistent and volatile as zadorov ito play behind hughes. the size and intimidation is nice, and maybe necessary, especially in the playoffs, but i think we ideally need a steady eddie professor type behind hughes who stays calm, reads other teams and locks things down.

agreed. we're finally going to be free of the tyler myers 6x6 and now you guys are all salivating over zadarov?

he's a good piece as a third pairing guy. i agree he brings valuable attributes, especially during the playoffs. but there are other ways to get those attributes. i'd take vinny desharnais at <$2m over zadarov at 5m+

especially if hronek isn't "the guy", concern number one is to find who is going to play with hughes, tanev benjamin button fantasies aside. then look to find the right guy to pair with soucy to round out the top-4. then you need to add a top-6 winger, maybe two. third line center, fourth line center, back up goalie.

after all of that, if there's money left by some miracle, then sure, zadarov can be in consideration as a luxury for the third pair. but there probably won't be.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
$4.5M x 7 is perfect imo for a 4/5 defenseman.
Not at all. There will always be takers for big physical defenseman like Zadorov that can skate. only thing that would hinder his value would be health but then that’s an easy LTIR. Years 5-7 of his contract (he’s likely going to get 6-7 years) his cap hit will be inconsequential with the significant rise in cap.
I would spend some time looking at Salt Lake. New owner might be looking to compete. Not sure if there is a fit though.
I would love it if we somehow got Kesselring from them. Hronek for Kesselring +

agreed. we're finally going to be free of the tyler myers 6x6 and now you guys are all salivating over zadarov?

he's a good piece as a third pairing guy. i agree he brings valuable attributes, especially during the playoffs. but there are other ways to get those attributes. i'd take vinny desharnais at <$2m over zadarov at 5m+

especially if hronek isn't "the guy", concern number one is to find who is going to play with hughes, tanev benjamin button fantasies aside. then look to find the right guy to pair with soucy to round out the top-4. then you need to add a top-6 winger, maybe two. third line center, fourth line center, back up goalie.

after all of that, if there's money left by some miracle, then sure, zadarov can be in consideration as a luxury for the third pair. but there probably won't be.
Desharnais? You’ve got to be joking Lol

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Sure, If one of those are out there then sign me up. Until then I’ll take big Zaddy

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Sure, If one of those are out there then sign me up. Until then I’ll take big Zaddy
well until we do, there are lots of guys out there who are not quite top 4 guys looking for more than bottom pair money. soucy was out there last year.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Lemme throw this out there.

Do we go the Colorado / Carolina / Vegas / Edmonton Route and not be so reliant on goaltending, and have a serious discussion on Trading Demko and signing Depth / or Younger replacements?

It's certainly worth a discussion, Especially when Demko is gonna cost in the 10m Range in a few years.

Use the cap to fill out the rest of the roster? Also Demko would still get a haul as a trade chip.

Just thinking out loud. These injury concerns are problematic.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Do we go the Colorado / Carolina / Vegas / Edmonton Route and not be so reliant on goaltending, and have a serious discussion on Trading Demko and signing Depth / or Younger replacements?

It's certainly worth a discussion, Especially when Demko is gonna cost in the 10m Range in a few years.

Use the cap to fill out the rest of the roster? Also Demko would still get a haul as a trade chip.

Here's my counter to this, goaltending been a pretty big problem for Colorado and Edmonton. To go further, Edmonton and Vegas have consistently invested heavily in goalies and continue to do so. Golden Knights didn't believe in going cheap or else they would have let Hill walk and just gone with Thompson and someone else. For Kochetkov and Skinner, they've both underperformed in the playoffs. Colorado, Toronto, and Los Angeles have gone cheap and it's creating problems for them.

I haven't seen any sustainable evidence that it's a viable strategy. I think there's a lot of luck, excellent pro-scouting, and just a damn strong team that has made it work for Colorado and Vegas.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Demko is not returning much at the moment.

No one is going to pay even a decent value for a 28yr old goalie with history of injuries.

So you ride out his current contract while prepping Silovs if they feel he's the goalie of the future.

Team needs for Top 6 F help let alone a potential reconfiguration of the back end.

Lots for mgmt to do this offseason regardless of how the rest of the playoffs play out.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I would love it if we somehow got Kesselring from them. Hronek for Kesselring +

Desharnais? You’ve got to be joking Lol

kesselring is a good player and the exact type that i'd look to replace zadarov with. but as a centerpiece in return for hronek? you gotta be joking hahah

desharnais has been in the oilers top-4 for the last many months, arguably playing the matchup role with kulak as ceci has crumbled. i'd absolutely take him for our bottom pair. and he's probably going to price himself out of edmonton, but the problem is other gm's will also drool over his size and someone will give him 3m+ for multiple years, which i wouldn't do.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Zadorov/Tanev over Hronek for me.

There is absolutely nothing that indicates Hronek deserves $8 million per season except for Hronek and his agent.

You can go cheap on goaltending. But the rest of your team had better be stacked.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Demko is not returning much at the moment.

No one is going to pay even a decent value for a 28yr old goalie with history of injuries.

So you ride out his current contract while prepping Silovs if they feel he's the goalie of the future.

Team needs for Top 6 F help let alone a potential reconfiguration of the back end.

Lots for mgmt to do this offseason regardless of how the rest of the playoffs play out.
I feel with the need of goaltending so bad around the league, if the Canucks decided to go in a different direction and find a cheaper/FA Option, they would still get a haul for Demko.

Let's be honest, We have had good goaltending here for years, ages, look at edmonton,toronto,colorado who are dieing for good/elite goaltending, I feel they would wanna go the other route and pay up.

Again this is all just hypothetical, it's not realistic, but it's an idea.

2023: Vegas Golden Knights - Adin Hill
2022: Colorado Avalanche - Kuemper
2021: Tampa Bay Lightning - Vas
2020: Tampa Bay Lightning - Vas
2019: St. Louis Blues - Binnington
2018: Washington Capitals - Holtby

Easily the best of the 5 is Vas who won back to back.
Adin, binnington,kuemper,and holtby are nothing special.

Maybe i can do a deeper dive and check opponents goaltending also, would be a fun homework assignment.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Here's my counter to this, goaltending been a pretty big problem for Colorado and Edmonton. To go further, Edmonton and Vegas have consistently invested heavily in goalies and continue to do so. Golden Knights didn't believe in going cheap or else they would have let Hill walk and just gone with Thompson and someone else. For Kochetkov and Skinner, they've both underperformed in the playoffs. Colorado, Toronto, and Los Angeles have gone cheap and it's creating problems for them.

I haven't seen any sustainable evidence that it's a viable strategy. I think there's a lot of luck, excellent pro-scouting, and just a damn strong team that has made it work for Colorado and Vegas.

demko would still bring back an enormous package with a likely bluechip piece. toronto, colorado and edmonton are literally wasting the prime years of the best players of this generation because of samsonov, georgiev, and skinner/campbell. a healthy demko makes any of those teams the instant favorite for the cup.

this season obviously changes things, but i've long been of the opinion that we're better off to look for demko's replacement sooner rather than waiting things out and have him go john gibson on us, or re-sign at a huge number that he can't perform to going forward, or walk to a warm climate us destination as a free agent in two years.

if someone is willing to pay a massive package for him and we believe silovs is the next one, we can try to land ullmark or markstrom for cheap as the short term solution to keep the team competitive in the interim.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Zadorov/Tanev over Hronek for me.

There is absolutely nothing that indicates Hronek deserves $8 million per season except for Hronek and his agent.

You can go cheap on goaltending. But the rest of your team had better be stacked.
That's the idea, Not easy but it's doable.
The only reason i bring this up is because we are so dependent on goaltending, It's wild, everybody knows these playoffs are basically done now without Demko, Sure we can win a round, but can we win more? I pray but not hopeful.

Now another arguement is saying, well if any starting G gets hurt it's the same.
I don't think thats the case because Demko is ELITE while if you had 2 mid guys, it's not that big a drop off.

You just need to use the extra cap perfectly, and have a bit of luck.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

I've been worried if Demko can stay healthy enough to handle 60 games since his injury in 2022 and if it would be a good idea to resign him.
That being said I wouldn't trade him unless there is a huge offer. I would go after a good platoon goalie and decrease his workload. Go for it over the next 2 years and there will be a tough decision when his contract is up. Depending what our other goalies are looking like, How Demko has played and been able to stay healthy, and what type of contract he is after are factors to resign him or not.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
That's the idea, Not easy but it's doable.
The only reason i bring this up is because we are so dependent on goaltending, It's wild, everybody knows these playoffs are basically done now without Demko, Sure we can win a round, but can we win more? I pray but not hopeful.

Now another arguement is saying, well if any starting G gets hurt it's the same.
I don't think thats the case because Demko is ELITE while if you had 2 mid guys, it's not that big a drop off.

You just need to use the extra cap perfectly, and have a bit of luck.

The problem with this season is this - since the All Star break, for whatever reason, this team has looked like a 6-8 seed team trying to make the playoffs.

They made it in comfortably because they flat out dominated the first half of the season. Like, to the point where people were saying they would beat the 2011 team in a series. I don't known if it was sheer luck or statistical anomalies or staying relatively healthy - they haven't looked like that since January.

We are a long ways from that, and it's a long season. How many teams have we seen over the years start slow and then crank it up in the second half? We did the exact opposite, which is not what you want to see at all.

All of this essentially means that the Canucks relied a lot more on elite goaltending than we realized in the end, because their scoring and structured defensive play did not accurately represent the finished product. The 1st half team could still handily beat the Predators even without Demko, because they were an elite team. The 2nd half team is a 6-8 seed that just lost their starting goalie.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
The problem with this season is this - since the All Star break, for whatever reason, this team has looked like a 6-8 seed team trying to make the playoffs.

They made it in comfortably because they flat out dominated the first half of the season. Like, to the point where people were saying they would beat the 2011 team in a series. I don't known if it was sheer luck or statistical anomalies or staying relatively healthy - they haven't looked like that since January.

We are a long ways from that, and it's a long season. How many teams have we seen over the years start slow and then crank it up in the second half? We did the exact opposite, which is not what you want to see at all.

All of this essentially means that the Canucks relied a lot more on elite goaltending than we realized in the end, because their scoring and structured defensive play did not accurately represent the finished product. The 1st half team could still handily beat the Predators even without Demko, because they were an elite team. The 2nd half team is a 6-8 seed that just lost their starting goalie.
Losing the goalie hurt a ton obviously, but they also played poorly on top of that, we scored less, Defense was put more on watch.

Don't forget we had injuries across the board, not just demko during that period.
The way we were scoring in the 1st half, You could have me in net, and we would still win

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Losing the goalie hurt a ton obviously, but they also played poorly on top of that, we scored less, Defense was put more on watch.

Don't forget we had injuries across the board, not just demko during that period.
The way we were scoring in the 1st half, You could have me in net, and we would still win

It's just insane how different things look today. That team heading into the playoffs would have put the fear of God into their opponents. They just peaked too f***ing early.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

the first half team was shooting 5% above league average and could just outscore any goaltending problems. the second half team was an average shooting team that only won consistently when it got better than league average goaltending

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Do we have a chance of signing Laurent Brossoit next year as a backup / 1B? Hometown boy who has played like a starter this year. Silovs might be the guy eventually but Demko’s history is legitimately concerning. Wonder how much he commands…

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
Pettersson
For
Cozens, Luukkonen, #11, #43

Mikhayev
For
Kotkaniemi

Hronek, Poolman
For
#24, #35 (anaheim)

Lindholm ufa rights
For
Debrusk ufa rights

Resign every UFA except Desmith

Sign Tanev

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Cozens - Debrusk
Joshua - Kotkaniemi - Garland
Podkolzin - Blueger - Lafferty

Hughes - Tanev
Zadorov - Myers
Soucy - Juulsen
Cole - Friedman

Luukkonen, Silovs, Demko

Draft Michael Nygard 11, Emil Hemming 24.

Draft two defenseman at 35 and 43.

Top three centers are all signed for 6 years.

Three top elc RWs coming as best prospects.

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad