Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Elliotte Friedman thinks the #Canucks will play their first playoff game on Tuesday the 23rd. If the Canucks draw Nashville, they will be 8 days rested. Nashville plays their final game of the season tonight.

Rested but rusty.

There are no easy matchups in the West.

Nashville has a 47 goal Forsberg, an 85 point Josi, two 70 point centres (including a rejuvenated ROR) and 8 players over or close to 15 goals.

Their only true weakness is goaltending. Saros is 2.84 GAA at a .906 sv%. Better stats than DeSmith, but Demko is easily the superior goalie.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster

Nashville has a 47 goal Forsberg, an 85 point Josi, two 70 point centres (including a rejuvenated ROR) and 8 players over or close to 15 goals.

Their only true weakness is goaltending. Saros is 2.84 GAA at a .906 sv%. Better stats than DeSmith, but Demko is easily the superior goalie.
Agreed. Forsberg and Josi can take over games. ROR is a proven winner, and that team is playing well with more depth than you'd think. The Canucks are still the favourites, but if they don't show up in that series they will get burned.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Even with Saros, the guy has been a top 5 or 10 goalie for years until this season and he's only 28 years old, it wouldn't surprise anyone if he put up a .920+ sv% in a series.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Wonder if Hakanpaa would be a good 3 pairing option. Has massive size, plays the PK too

Dillon-Hakanpaa would certainly be a hand full as a pairing.

I like Hakanpaa. Obviously limited offensively, but dudes a towering 6'7", good penalty killer and often at the top of the league in hits.

Scared what 3rd pairing guys like that get in silly season.

Reactions: Nucker101

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
What does Jani Hakanpaa provide that Juulsen doesn't? They play the same role for the same minutes but Hakanpaa will be paid significantly more.
For me its a Zad replacement in terms of physical play but for a potential 1/2 the cost. Dhillon and Myers would be good too

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Tanev
Dillon/Myers - Hakanpaa
Juulsen

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Although the odds are still against the Canucks making a long playoff run, at the very least they've set themselves up for success in the way they've handled their games in March-April.

The fact that they had a playoff point cushion has enabled them to rest some guys; and give others extra time to recover from injuries. They'd probably have been forced to bring Demko and Lindholm back early if they'd been in a titanic struggle just to make the top-eight.

I notice that they've also given players 'maintenance days' and excused them from practice. As they say in the NHL, 'rest can be a weapon of war'. It might not pay off from individual game to game. But over a four-week playoff grind, with intensity and physicality, 'rest' could be the difference.,

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Although the odds are still against the Canucks making a long playoff run, at the very least they've set themselves up for success in the way they've handled their games in March-April.

The fact that they had a playoff point cushion has enabled them to rest some guys; and give others extra time to recover from injuries. They'd probably have been forced to bring Demko and Lindholm back early if they'd been in a titanic struggle just to make the top-eight.

I notice that they've also given players 'maintenance days' and excused them from practice. As they say in the NHL, 'rest can be a weapon of war'. It might not pay off from individual game to game. But over a four-week playoff grind, with intensity and physicality, 'rest' could be the difference.,
when the 2011 team made the playoffs, did they rest some guys during the final week?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What does Jani Hakanpaa provide that Juulsen doesn't? They play the same role for the same minutes but Hakanpaa will be paid significantly more.
I would like your post but I have too many warning points lol. I know you agree with my position on this too. Hakanpaa just can't really cut it anymore and IMO Juulsen is better for cheaper at this point.
Fantasy Part:

Tage T
Benson

for

Ep40
I was/am higher than anyone on Benson , but this is crazy. The downgrade from Petey to Tage is a massive cliff.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Personally I'd pass on Dillon especially at 3 mill +

I just want Cole's cap off the books. I don't have any interest in replacing him with another player like him.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

I just want Cole's cap off the books. I don't have any interest in replacing him with another player like him.
The thing is, the FO will. If he leaves, they'll see a need for that vet on the back end with loads of playoff experience, most likely.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

I mean he's a vet who's apparently valued in the room, the staff throws him out over the boards to PK 1st quite a bit so I think the coaching staff likes him and would want a similar player if they move on from him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Just for fun, but would you do Cozens, Peterka and Jokiharju?
Closer, because I am very high on Peterka, but no.

Petey is a fringe top-10 center. Those are the kinds of players you need to have to be a contender. Superstars drive nearly all top teams.

Cozens is not that. Peterka I think will be a star winger, but he's not that either. Jokiharju is basically a meaningless throw-in in this equation.

Especially with Petey locked-in below market value, in a cap-inflating environment, there is really no semi-realistic scenario I would trade Petey.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Closer, because I am very high on Peterka, but no.

Petey is a fringe top-10 center. Those are the kinds of players you need to have to be a contender. Superstars drive nearly all top teams.

Cozens is not that. Peterka I think will be a star winger, but he's not that either. Jokiharju is basically a meaningless throw-in in this equation.

Especially with Petey locked-in below market value, in a cap-inflating environment, there is really no semi-realistic scenario I would trade Petey.
For less than half of the season. The other he is a tire fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad