Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Quinn Hughes 15th Captain in Franchise History

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So you think the veterans on the team won't listen to Hughes because they are older? Is that your reasoning here?

I feel Johnny Canucker is that 55 year old workhorse stocking shelves at Safeway who acts like a boss.
That would only hold water to me if Hughes was a rookie. He's got close to 300 NHL games under a belt now. He's 'sitting at the adults table' now (and has been for years).

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
The same reason that the 55 year old workhorse who’s been stocking the shelves at Safeway won’t give 2 f***s about what the newly promoted 18 year old “Produce manager” has to say. It’s a tale as old as time in most aspects of life.
Than that older vet who refuses to listen can get traded somewhere else, pretty sure hockey players are on a different level than people that work at Safeway, but you keep reaching with these takes......

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Competence and value play a role, and if you're a star, no one cares about your age.

Do you think Sergei Brin and Larry Page (Google founders) had trouble earning the respect of employees at Google even though they were in their 20's? Or Mark Zuckerberg at Facebook?

And before the argument is made that they were the bosses, keep in mind that the people who joined those companies were often highly paid older executives with lots of other job opportunities who often took pay cuts to follow the lead of the younger guys because driven people want to win and they'll follow the lead of people with the skills to take them to the promised land.

When I was growing my company before we had formal authority levels the team naturally took the lead of those who were the most driven, smart and skilled, regardless of age, and in both sales and software side it occasionally happened that the leader that emerged were younger. We eventually had to formalize that leadership structure because the de facto leaders often wanted to enforce things that they knew needed to be done in order to set the culture and processes right but they felt they were overstepping their bounds until we told them that in fact that was now their job. Some wanted it and some didn't, some thrived and others stumbled, but age was never the deciding factor.
Page got removed as CEO because he was such a shitty manager.

He wanted to do things like fire all the PMs. He was a moron.

Bad example.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

Bad example.

yeah google literally brought in eric schmidt to be the adult in the room. fb/meta brought in sandberg for the same reason

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Bad example.

Yeah, they did need to bring in "adult supervsion", fair enough, but a bit goofy to call him a moron. Did he have room to grow as a manager? Absolutely, but far from a moron, and a lot of the management tenets he did bring in have become key drivers of innovation.

Nonetheless, the argument that older people don't take younger leaders seriously is just not factual.

yeah google literally brought in eric schmidt to be the adult in the room. fb/meta brought in sandberg for the same reason

Definitely a key skill of a leader (especially a young one) is to know how to use the benefit of others' experience. The military is built around this, a platoon is led by a 22 year-old Second Lieutenant, commanding 30 or so troops supported by the advice of a 40 year-old Warrant Officer.

If Hughes has the right character, drive and intelligence I think he'll earn the respect and loyalty of his teammates, and he hopefully is smart enough to lean on the guidance of older vets around him (which would have been good to have Luke Schenn or Tanev around for somethng like that but hopefully he'll be fine; Linden did well as a young leader).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad