Canucks Managerial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

F A N: we're you seriously not paying attention last season like at all?

Ask a Utica poster, named Bad Goalie his many games Corrado spent up here healthy to play and sat in the pressbox?

Pretty sure if was over 30.

---
Gillis is getting flack for picking up Dale Weise now? Good grief. An effective player making near the league minimum.

Guess we know you're only a f a n of Benning's pick ups.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
What's your point?

4th line player getting 4th line pay, I really don't see how that is a knock against MG.

Dalpe was kept for one season and traded along with someone else for a 4th rounder and Weise is still playing for Montreal scoring key goals in the playoffs. Plus he as plucked off waivers which is a pretty good deal considering he wasn't that bad of a player.

Not sure what kind of expectation uou have or anyone would have for a waiver wire pickup earning near min wage.
He shouldn't keep him because he didn't become a top6 player?

arsmaster*

4th line player getting 4th line pay, I really don't see how that is a knock against MG.

Dalpe was kept for one season and traded along with someone else for a 4th rounder and Weise is still playing for Montreal scoring key goals in the playoffs. Plus he as plucked off waivers which is a pretty good deal considering he wasn't that bad of a player.

Not sure what kind of expectation uou have or anyone would have for a waiver wire pickup earning near min wage.
He shouldn't keep him because he didn't become a top6 player?

Weise is a good player. I'd be embarrassed if I were making the claim he was "held onto too long". Frankly we got rid of him too soon because Torts hated him.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Weise is a good player. I'd be embarrassed if I were making the claim he was "held onto too long". Frankly we got rid of him too soon because Torts hated him.

Funny how things work, we got him cuz Torts hated him and then we got rid of him because we got Torts.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Uhhhh Weise and Dalpe were last minute pickups that were granted an opening day spot.

Those guys were largely AHL players brought in over the course of 5 years, who were brought in for camp and if they got play time on the Canucks it was due to injuries and not having any prospects pushing up from below, a legacy left over from the Burke/Nonis era.

Benning's brought in the same sort of players last season, we just didn't need to use them as much thanks to better depth and prospects left to him plus injury luck.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
interesting

Awesome. We are in the same weight class as the defending Stanley Cup Champions, and the Calgary Flames (who everyone keeps raving about).

Much better than being in the same class as Arizona, Colorado, LA (who all missed the playoffs) and Winnipeg who probably will miss this year.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
hmm but what about all the Benning fans and the we're building a bigger and tougher team

I'd rather not be compared to a team that got destroyed by Anaheim and of that list only Chicago can be looked up to

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
hmm but what about all the Benning fans and the we're building a bigger and tougher team

I'd rather not be compared to a team that got destroyed by Anaheim and of that list only Chicago can be looked up to

I think it's more about the quality of player is more important than his weight class. I'd take Patrick Kane over Lucic any day of the week. A fast skilled player who is also big is great, but if you have to pick one, skill wins IMO

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. Weise is a solid NHL bottom-6 player. Tortorella was absolutely the reason he was shipped out of here. Whatever his issue was with the guy...it was quite apparent they did not jive.

Strangely wasn't a lot of griping that i recall when he was shipped out for what ultimately amounted to a 5th round pick because the last guy's coach had some weird grudge against the poor guy. :laugh:

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Wasn't 'heavy' one of Benning's key words during his opening presser after he was announced as the new GM? I seem to recall him using that word a lot.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
interesting

By the time you're down to calculating within fractions of pounds average roster weight...the "official listings" these players go by are almost completely and totally worthless, as they're very often out by many pounds each.

And with the Canucks, having all this youth in the lineup is inevitably going to drag the "average weight" down. Can't exactly have it both ways...and it's hard to imagine the brass imagined this many rookies busting into the lineup on opening night.

I will say though, this blueline Benning and Co. have assembled is worryingly "small" on the whole though. Doesn't so much matter if they can move the puck effectively...but it's definitely not what i'd call a "heavy" blueline.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Arsmaster. I think arttk hit reply with quote but his comments weren't related to the quote in question. That's why I was so confused.

Those guys were largely AHL players brought in over the course of 5 years, who were brought in for camp and if they got play time on the Canucks it was due to injuries and not having any prospects pushing up from below, a legacy left over from the Burke/Nonis era.

Benning's brought in the same sort of players last season, we just didn't need to use them as much thanks to better depth and prospects left to him plus injury luck.

That's not true. Look, I love Gillis, but while Benning's roster seems set before training camp, Gillis often left spots for the players I mentioned to crack the roster or he gambled that he would pick up someone just before season starts. Seriously, at one time, Tambellini, Bolduc, Desbian, Schaeffer (remember him?), and Morrison were battling for roster spots and all but Morrison made the opening day roster. Weise and Dalpe were acquired and granted a roster spot. Who did they take a roster spot away from? Seriously, it was thank god for Weise (over Oreskovich) and Dalpe (over I don't remember and can't imagine). Remember Santorelli? He too was signed to a two-way contract. Who did he take a roster spot from? Zach Hamill?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
F A N: we're you seriously not paying attention last season like at all?

Ask a Utica poster, named Bad Goalie his many games Corrado spent up here healthy to play and sat in the pressbox?

Pretty sure if was over 30.

According to http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?9226

19 games with 10 of them after coming off IR and 2 of them when he was obviously hurt. There were at least a couple of games where he was just called up.

Anyways, the "Corrado needs to play" is probably just some BS as Corrado didn't play enough to crack the opening night roster and Benning was trying to move him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Wasn't 'heavy' one of Benning's key words during his opening presser after he was announced as the new GM? I seem to recall him using that word a lot.

Everyone knows you have to play a "heavy" game to be successful!

...(Unless you're Chicago, then you just win a bunch of Cups)

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
interesting

Yep, we've got some slender vets with a trio of slim rookies. The Sedins and Burrows are just under 190 with Tanev and Sutter hovering around that weight too. Miller likely also drops our average weight by like 1-2 lbs too as apparently he's a freakishly slender 168 at 6'2". The only other noticeably slim guys are the young guys coming in (McCann, Hutton and SvenBae) who will likely bulk up next off-season.

Where we're building though (Jake and Bo for example) are 205+ now, for example.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hutton is 210.

They seem to be getting smaller though, at least Cracknell over Vey helps, until Cracknell is sent to the AHL when Higgins comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad