Canucks Managerial Thread | 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Except when first interviewed about it, Linden's response was along the lines of, well uhh yeah we dont want to "send" Hutton down and then "call" him back up because they think it would delegitimizate him making the team.

Utter BS like that shows that they didn't even know doing that was possible.

And like RandV had said, problems stems from bad roster planning and the lack of cap knowledge, or basic management knowledge is just the icing on this **** cake.
See what you wanta see.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Well he didn't get anything even close to that so what's your point.

Problem is we didn't even have cap to go for Franson at the point and that is due to him signing Sbisa and Dorsett prematurely and overpaying Bartkowski.
I dont think Franson is a long term answer to our D and frankly id rather re sign Hamhuis or a quality free agent top 4.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I dont think Franson is a long term answer to our D and frankly id rather re sign Hamhuis or a quality free agent top 4.

Franson is just one example.
Point is Benning overcommitted on left side D, and on really bad ones leaving the right side thin as hell.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
All evidence points to them not knowing how to work the cap. If you refuse to accept that then that's your thing.
How is that?
Because let me guess...they signed Miller Sbisa Dorsett and Sutter to contracts you dont like?

Who have we lost due to cap mismanagement Arttk?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Franson is just one example.
Point is Benning overcommitted on left side D, and on really bad ones leaving the right side thin as hell.
RD? So if youre left handed you cant play the right side?

Did you have Hutton pencilled in to your 15/16 roster? Weber had 10goals and looked like a guy that deserved his 1 yr extension. Travis Green was quoted as saying he believed Corrado was going to be an NHLer? Higgins??

Point being.... things can change in a short time.

What a cool development program Toronto (Shannny Dubas Hunter Lamoriella Babcock) had in store for Corrado this year...14 pro games 7 in the NHL??? Good stuff.

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
How is that?
Because let me guess...they signed Miller Sbisa Dorsett and Sutter to contracts you dont like?

Who have we lost due to cap mismanagement Arttk?

No because they had to ask the league to sit and work with them on the cap.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Did you have Hutton pencilled in to your 15/16 roster? Weber had 10goals and looked like a guy that deserved his 1 yr extension. Travis Green was quoted as saying he believed Corrado was going to be an NHLer? Higgins??

What a cool development program Toronto (Shannny Dubas Hunter Lamoriella Babcock) had in store for Corrado this year...14 pro games 7 in the NHL??? Good stuff.

I don't think the leafs care about developing Corrado, all the things they are doing points to that. Nobody is praising them for what they are doing with him, everybody is saying they are *******s and obviously they don't give a ****.

Like I said you are still avoiding the point, Corrado was lost because they didn't know how to work the cap. You can list all the reasons why Corrado doesn't deserve a spot but that doesn't change the fact our management didn't know how to work the cap and lost a player because of that.

Do you not see the problem with that? Our management group doesn't know how to work within the rules set by the league.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Some players will do well enough playing their off side (Ehrhoff, Garrison), but it doesn't work for all dmen. And while we over committed to the left side, Sbisa and Bartkowski aren't exactly guys you want playing offside on the 2nd pairing, nevermind the 3rd.

And based off last season you could pencil Weber into the lineup on the 2nd pair with Hamhuis, at even strength, but that doesn't mean he's your 2nd pairing dman. Often teams will split up the bottom pairing and play them with more dependable dmen, but manage the ice time so they place less. Looking at the lineup thread on the trade board, Boston is an example of this.

Current lineup with avg ice time:

Chara (24:20) - Trotman (19:18)
Krug (21:25) - K.Miller (19:46)
Seidenberg (19:53) - C.Miller (15:52)

So by ice time:

#1 - #5
#2 - #4
#3 - #6

For how things looked last season it would make sense to plan on keeping Weber with Hamhuis and sign or acquire a legit 2nd pairing guy for the bottom pair, so you don't get exploited like with Sbieksa against Calgary. There will always be injuries so Corrado looked like a perfect guy for the 7-8 spot which would probably get him 60 games on the season.

I'm talking pre-July 1st here, as things will always shake out a little differently during camp. Regardless of how you look at it though with both foresight and hindsight the team was ill-prepared on the blue line, which has had a huge impact on the teams poor performance 2/3rds of the way through this season.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
On board with the trade hammer to a contender and re sign him in the off season for cheaper.

He can be a good mentor to pedan.

Lose bartkowski. Run with this

Edler tanev
Hamhuis pedan
Sbisa Hutton

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
On board with the trade hammer to a contender and re sign him in the off season for cheaper.

He can be a good mentor to pedan.

Lose bartkowski. Run with this

Edler tanev
Hamhuis pedan
Sbisa Hutton

They need BartK to mentor Edler.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
No because they had to ask the league to sit and work with them on the cap.

This is stretching what Botch had said quite a bit.

The quote was they contacted the league for clarification on something, not that the league had to come in and hold their hand on stuff. Unless something new has shaken loose, that is.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.

The quote was they contacted the league for clarification on something, not that the league had to come in and hold their hand on stuff. Unless something new has shaken loose, that is.
Thinking about it, it's entirely possible they wanted clarification on whether Corrado was waiver exempt or not. His situation was... weird.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
********. We're talking about a new management team and coaching staff here, and the new guys in charge were fed up with Kassian and trying to move him by December. Benning showed very little patience with a young player who didn't fit his image, and it's our loss.

As I keep saying, we have no idea what was going on behind the scenes with Kassian or why the Canucks were making the personnel decisions that they were.

Do you really think that if Kassian was setting the world on fire and contributing to the team that they would just arbitrarily bench him?

Is it possible that a pattern of behavior that had followed him from Buffalo, continued in while in he was with the Canucks and was ongoing in Montreal maybe played a factor?

How many second chances does a guy get? If I'm working at my job and **** up under the previous bosses I had and get put on probation by HR and **** up again, does the slate get wiped clean because there's a new manager?

Stan Smyl was with the team throughout the duration of Kassian's tenure with the team and was apparently working closely with him past his stint in rehab. He is an executive in the Canucks organization and, I would argue, has some degree of say in what goes on (otherwise, what the **** is the point in appointing a position to him in the first place?)

It may have been Smyl's call, because he was the one who had been working with him prior to Benning's arrival.

Technically they didn't "do nothing" that's a rather loaded statement because even the tiniest effort would qualify. But it wasn't an approach the prior regime or the fans would have wanted.

Well, again, though, we don't know what was going on behind the scenes and it's entirely possible Kassian shot himself in the foot. I find it hard to believe that the truck incident in Montreal was the only time Kassian had found himself in straits such as that.

We can disagree on whether or not it is acceptable to get rid of a player, and that's fine, but it is not the Canucks job to baby Kassian and, as someone else pointed out, all the treatment in the world isn't going to make a lick of difference if the person being treated doesn't want the help.

I think the Kassian trade was dumb (for what we got), but I don't think it was a bad call if he was being problematic behind the scenes. The guy had 2 years and a bunch of people working with him and trying to help him and it took crashing his truck in Montreal to wake him up. Canucks couldn't just stand pat with him if he was continuing to be an idiot.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Well I did post a transcription of what Botch said and it's been awhile but i am sure it's closer to them not 100% clear what they need to do and he league had to go over the whole process with them.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I am guessing a bunch of people will proceed to ignore this and repeat their BS a couple pages later.

Oh, **** off with this passive aggressive ********.

The previous management group were patient and the current group just basically gave up almost right away.

So Kassian just remains a member of the Canucks forever? Again, SOB (and I think Bernier, too) were both moved because of their lack of discipline/focus to the team (read: partying) and it was being a distraction to the team. Where does the team draw the line and make a judgment call? How many years does Kassian get? 3? 4? 5? Does he just stay on the Canucks forever?

Also, the entire management team wasn't gutted and the executive that was working with Kassian was still on the team.

I remember when Benning came in the papers were reporting how they want to give Kass a chance at 2nd line RW. He didn't even get that chance in preseason and despite being the play driver on his line when Richardson and Mathias was cold as hell, they limit his ice time and by his first injury we were already hearing rumors of them
wanting to get rid of him.

Patience my ass.

I remember when Benning said he wanted to chain Kassian to a wall and use him as a human toilet despite him looking better than Crosby. Oh, a link? Uh....I gotta go! Bye!

EDIT: Also, this is a great post:

Every workplace has a code of conduct and a performance expectation tied to responsibilty and pay.

When someone on your payroll doesnt care enough to adhere to expectations. Show up ready to work and perform. Continues to collect a 1.75 MILLION salary despite an inconsistent performance when he rarely actually shows up to work. All the while spending multi bouts in rehab.

....answer me this. Is this the guy you would want to employ for your business that has to work with the public in a team environment?

Does it occur to anyone that maybe Aquaman had had enough of signing cheques to a pinhead party boy that obviously was taking his profession as a right rather than a privilege.

I think its garbage that this is put on Benning. Zack was an idiot he's said as much.

Emphasis added.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Oh, **** off with this passive aggressive ********.

Ooo can't take it? I mean you are the one ignoring all the studies that I have posted. But hey, science is no match for you experience at bars.

So Kassian just remains a member of the Canucks forever? Again, SOB (and I think Bernier, too) were both moved because of their lack of discipline/focus to the team (read: partying) and it was being a distraction to the team. Where does the team draw the line and make a judgment call? How many years does Kassian get? 3? 4? 5? Does he just stay on the Canucks forever?

Also, the entire management team wasn't gutted and the executive that was working with Kassian was still on the team.
Yeah and those guys got fired for disagreeing with what Benning and Weisbrod wanted.
Those guys are not on the same page.

I remember when Benning said he wanted to chain Kassian to a wall and use him as a human toilet despite him looking better than Crosby. Oh, a link? Uh....I gotta go! Bye!

If you want to make **** up that's your prerogative. I wouldn't even think about going that low but then should anyone be surprised you went there.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
I see a lot of people complaining about Benning and Linden (and justifiably so) but they are forgetting about one person: Weisbrod.

this guy has ruined just about every team he has been apart of and I can't believe he's been getting a free pass from virtually everyone

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I see a lot of people complaining about Benning and Linden (and justifiably so) but they are forgetting about one person: Weisbrod.

this guy has ruined just about every team he has been apart of and I can't believe he's been getting a free pass from virtually everyone

Very true about Weisbrod. But look at who brought him in and who approved it? Once against, when you find a dumb decision, follow the trail and it leads to Jim Benning and Trevor Linden.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Very true about Weisbrod. But look at who brought him in and who approved it? Once against, when you find a dumb decision, follow the trail and it leads to Jim Benning and Trevor Linden.

Yeah, people were using the Weisbrod hiring as another strike against this management regime. Totally rightfully so too, he has some disastrous moves and scouting.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015

He's very charismatic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad