Canucks Managerial Thread | 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
********. We're talking about a new management team and coaching staff here, and the new guys in charge were fed up with Kassian and trying to move him by December. Benning showed very little patience with a young player who didn't fit his image, and it's our loss.

Technically they didn't "do nothing" that's a rather loaded statement because even the tiniest effort would qualify. But it wasn't an approach the prior regime or the fans would have wanted.

And how much patience did the next GM show Kassian?

Hint: He never suited up for one regular season game

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

To be fair the Habs have the same amount of points as us currently (seems like their GM ain't any better than ours). I'd guess we'll end up with more points than them by the end of the season (depending on how long Price is out).

They also didn't have alot invested in Kassian - seems to me (just my opinion that you may or may not agree with) the purpose of the trade from their POV was to create cap space. Kassian was just a lottery ticket.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Only 1 team right now with less wins then us,Toronto at 19.we have 20.And im not even mad.

Why be mad?....the promised land is a top-three pick, not another one and done playoff series....besides, could anyone stand watching another Flames-Canucks playoff series with that coaching mis-match between Hartley and Desjardins?....bring on the Labatt's (tank)ard.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Does anyone think that Bergevin is actually doing a good job?

The Price injury really exposed the job that he has done over there.

And this is the guy that gave Prust that contract. Maybe that's where Benning got his inspiration for the Dorsett contract.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Does anyone think that Bergevin is actually doing a good job?

The Price injury really exposed the job that he has done over there.

And this is the guy that gave Prust that contract. Maybe that's where Benning got his inspiration for the Dorsett contract.

LOL, yeah, Montreal's not exactly looking like an intelligently-run franchise...and they STILL outsmarted Benning on the Prust deal. They get a salary-retained Scrivens and a 5th for Prust who just got waived.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
To be fair the Habs have the same amount of points as us currently (seems like their GM ain't any better than ours). I'd guess we'll end up with more points than them by the end of the season (depending on how long Price is out).

They also didn't have alot invested in Kassian - seems to me (just my opinion that you may or may not agree with) the purpose of the trade from their POV was to create cap space. Kassian was just a lottery ticket.

Yeah whether it was smart move or not for Montreal to dump him, from their end it was easy come easy go. They had little invested in Kassian, and while he may be worth a quarter we essentially paid them a nickle to take him. In comparison the Canucks organization invested a whole lot more time and resources into Kass, so the frivolous loss feels much more painful.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Haha where are all the people complaining about Weber and asset management now? Weber is bad and everyone knows that....

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Haha where are all the people complaining about Weber and asset management now? Weber is bad and everyone knows that....
Its weird af to me people were whining about corrado for months but webers a better player and theres silence when he gets waived.

Bad players arent assets.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Its weird af to me people were whining about corrado for months but webers a better player and theres silence when he gets waived.

Some people just say one thing to argue a narrative. I dont think anyone here actually thought weber was a good player after the calgary series.

Just something to whine about while sbisa is injured.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Considering we started the season with next to zero depth, losing Corrado for because of cap ineptitude is a good reason for people to be pissed.

Weber is what he is, to a certain degree Corrado was a prospect for us and had potential to improve.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Considering we started the season with next to zero depth, losing Corrado for because of cap ineptitude is a good reason for people to be pissed.

Weber is what he is, to a certain degree Corrado was a prospect for us and had potential to improve.
Whining about lost potential is just as silly. Theres plenty of potential on the waiver wire too.

Weber is a better nhl player right now and nobody cares he got waived.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Whining about lost potential is just as silly. Theres plenty of potential on the waiver wire too.

Weber is a better nhl player right now and nobody cares he got waived.

I think the issue that pisses people off the most is not losing Corrado because he is not good enough. Is the fact we lost him because, duhhh how does the cap work?

You expect more from any management group.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think the issue that pisses people off the most is not losing Corrado because he is not good enough. Is the fact we lost him because, duhhh how does the cap work?

So Weber Biega and Clendening were better than Corrado but it was a mistake that the management wanted him to start in Utica to work on his game (requiring waivers) ...
.....clearly he wasnt good enough.????

Whats next are you going after every GM that put a sub 25 defenseman on waivers this year?:help:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
So Weber Biega and Clendening were better than Corrado but it was a mistake that the management wanted him to start in Utica to work on his game (requiring waivers) ...
.....clearly he wasnt good enough.????

Whats next are you going after every GM that put a sub 25 defenseman on waivers this year?:help:

Technically they could've kept him on the roster by "sending" Hutton to the A and then recalling him right away as a injury replacement.

The management didn't know they could do that and sent Corrado to waivers. Like I said people wouldn't be pissed if we kept Corrado and he played himself off the team, we lost him because the management group didn't know how to make the cap work and had to get the league to step in to make it work.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

From a bigger picture point of view the root of the problem goes back to the summer. Going into training camp our RD depth was: Tanev, Weber, Corrado, Biega/Clendenning. We had $7.18 million in salary cap allocated to RH dmen, vs $14.85 million to our top 4 LH dmen.

Waiving and sometimes losing depth guys like Corrado or Weber isn't really that big a deal, the real issue is that we had them penciled in as our #2 and #3 on the right side... or Bartkowski/Sbisa playing the offside, which isn't any better. There were a handful of UFA RH dmen on the market: Sekera, Franson, Green, Michalek. Room should have been left to target one of these guys. You can never be sure with UFA but at least you could say management tried, and in this case the guy with a local connection ended up having to take a last minute contract with Buffalo for a fraction of what he wanted.

Franson isn't great but we'd probably be a lot better off right now if we had given Sbisa's contract to him.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Technically they could've kept him on the roster by "sending" Hutton to the A and then recalling him right away as a injury replacement.

The management didn't know they could do that and sent Corrado to waivers. Like I said people wouldn't be pissed if we kept Corrado and he played himself off the team, we lost him because the management group didn't know how to make the cap work and had to get the league to step in to make it work.

They didnt care because it didnt matter.

They wanted him PLAYING, not sitting on their nhl roster when he wasnt good enough to earn a spot theyd basically pencilled him into.

Corrado hasnt played enough. Period. Playing in the ahl was absolutely the right call.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
They didnt care because it didnt matter.

They wanted him PLAYING, not sitting on their nhl roster when he wasnt good enough to earn a spot theyd basically pencilled him into.

Corrado hasnt played enough. Period. Playing in the ahl was absolutely the right call.

Except when first interviewed about it, Linden's response was along the lines of, well uhh yeah we dont want to "send" Hutton down and then "call" him back up because they think it would delegitimizate him making the team.

Utter BS like that shows that they didn't even know doing that was possible.

And like RandV had said, problems stems from bad roster planning and the lack of cap knowledge, or basic management knowledge is just the icing on this **** cake.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Every workplace has a code of conduct and a performance expectation tied to responsibilty and pay.

When someone on your payroll doesnt care enough to adhere to expectations. Show up ready to work and perform. Continues to collect a 1.75 MILLION salary despite an inconsistent performance when he rarely actually shows up to work. All the while spending multi bouts in rehab.

....answer me this. Is this the guy you would want to employ for your business that has to work with the public in a team environment?

Does it occur to anyone that maybe Aquaman had had enough of signing cheques to a pinhead party boy that obviously was taking his profession as a right rather than a privilege.

I think its garbage that this is put on Benning. Zack was an idiot he's said as much.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
From a bigger picture point of view the root of the problem goes back to the summer. Going into training camp our RD depth was: Tanev, Weber, Corrado, Biega/Clendenning. We had $7.18 million in salary cap allocated to RH dmen, vs $14.85 million to our top 4 LH dmen.

Waiving and sometimes losing depth guys like Corrado or Weber isn't really that big a deal, the real issue is that we had them penciled in as our #2 and #3 on the right side... or Bartkowski/Sbisa playing the offside, which isn't any better. There were a handful of UFA RH dmen on the market: Sekera, Franson, Green, Michalek. Room should have been left to target one of these guys. You can never be sure with UFA but at least you could say management tried, and in this case the guy with a local connection ended up having to take a last minute contract with Buffalo for a fraction of what he wanted.

Franson isn't great but we'd probably be a lot better off right now if we had given Sbisa's contract to him.
Rumor was Franson wanted 4 yrs at 5 million before the deck chairs and offers went cold.....An easy pass IMO for Franson

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Rumor was Franson wanted 4 yrs at 5 million before the deck chairs and offers went cold.....An easy pass IMO for Franson

Well he didn't get anything even close to that so what's your point.

Problem is we didn't even have cap to go for Franson at the point and that is due to him signing Sbisa and Dorsett prematurely and overpaying Bartkowski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad