Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
The Markstrom situation, in a picture:

tumblr_inline_nblm6obBEm1s5fasx.jpg

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
You don't get it do you ...it's not what he said, its the ethics of publishing locker room talk.

"It's actually about ethics in locker room journalism." :laugh:

This is honestly silly. I simply disagreed with another persons opinion on Botchford, its you who perpetuated this needlessness trying to make it something out of nothing by trying to be witty but as usual failing bad.

Yeah, those responses to you were silly mockery. If Botchford had zero credibility he wouldn't have a job, he'd be in the unemployment line like Howard Berger or Al Strachan. Who are they, you're wondering? That's sort of my point.

Btw, glad you finally learned what "grasping at straws" means...i seriously had my doubts.

I know what it means and I also know you were using it incorrectly. Again, it doesn't mean "someone is saying something I disagree with", which is how you were using it.

Still waiting on that laundry list of stories that Botchford has been wrong on. I'm sure it'll be along here any day, now.

castanza

May 30, 2015
If Botchford had zero credibility he wouldn't have a job, he'd be in the unemployment line like Howard Berger or Al Strachan. Who are they, you're wondering? That's sort of my point.

You dislike Benning yet he is employed as a GM...so by your metrics since he is employed as a GM he's an awesome GM. Great glad you cleared that up.

I know what it means and I also know you were using it incorrectly. Again, it doesn't mean "someone is saying something I disagree with", which is how you were using it.

:facepalm:

Still waiting on that laundry list of stories that Botchford has been wrong on. I'm sure it'll be along here any day, now.

Honestly, Botchford is not worth anymore of my time...i'd rather watch grass grow or old people eat.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You dislike Benning yet he is employed as a GM...so by your metrics since he is employed as a GM he's an awesome GM. Great glad you cleared that up.

I don't think it's quite the same thing... the vast majority of NHL management positions are filled by a relatively small pool of former pro players. There's a certain level of nepotism to it that isn't there in other industries.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
With the way Vrbata is managed right now, does anyone seriously think Benning is "posturing" himself for a good trade?

I would not be surprised if some idiot came along and said "good riddance, Vrbata is soft anyway" if Benning throws Vrbata away for a 3rd or a 4th.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
With the way Vrbata is managed right now, does anyone seriously think Benning is "posturing" himself for a good trade?

I would not be surprised if some idiot came along and said "good riddance, Vrbata is soft anyway" if Benning throws Vrbata away for a 3rd or a 4th.

You are absolutely correct.

We are currently tanking vrbatas value. The guy needs to play win the sedins. We need to inflate his value asap or else we are going to get a garbage deal.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

No? That isn't what I said at all, actually.

I disagree with the way Benning is running the team. Jim Benning's employers agree with it and find him to be "credible." Thus, he remains employed.

I really hope you're in a trade school or that you've hired a tutor if you're still in high school. You seriously need to work on that reading comprehension.

Honestly, Botchford is not worth anymore of my time...i'd rather watch grass grow or old people eat.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Summary of The Pro Benning v Anti Benning Narrative

Anti Benning analyzes every transaction on a micro level, value is on average lost

Pro Benning analyzes no transaction and asks can we win a cup with him as GM, as the games tick on the players he puts into core roles (Baertschi McCAnn Markstrom) Have all dominated and further support out belief

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Summary of The Pro Benning v Anti Benning Narrative

Anti Benning analyzes every transaction on a micro level, value is on average lost

Pro Benning analyzes no transaction and asks can we win a cup with him as GM, as the games tick on the players he puts into core roles (Baertschi McCAnn Markstrom) Have all dominated and further support out belief

How can you even answer that question when you're not bothering to analyze the evidence? All you're doing is guessing based on a pre-conceived notion that is very much likely incorrect.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I don't think it's quite the same thing... the vast majority of NHL management positions are filled by a relatively small pool of former pro players. There's a certain level of nepotism to it that isn't there in other industries.

Job experience doesn't equal nepotism cmon!

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Seems like Willy is intent on teaching a lesson for the youngsters about Vrbata, and the GM doesn't look like he's gonna stop him.

I think Vrbata asks for out before much more of this :laugh:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah definitely a good lesson. It's not how good of a player you are or how effective you are, but how good of a buddy you are with the coach. Vey is completely useless but gets the most ES ice time of any forward on the team last night. Dorsett has 2 points in his last 25 games and gets thrown on the 1st line.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah definitely a good lesson. It's not how good of a player you are or how effective you are, but how good of a buddy you are with the coach. Vey is completely useless but gets the most ES ice time of any forward on the team last night. Dorsett has 2 points in his last 25 games and gets thrown on the 1st line.
Well I'm not about to defend his coaching here but I think some of the point is about work ethic and compete level.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Seems like Willy is intent on teaching a lesson for the youngsters about Vrbata, and the GM doesn't look like he's gonna stop him.

I think Vrbata asks for out before much more of this :laugh:
Typical Benning/Desjardins move destroy any value and toss in a pick to move him..great lesson to the youth.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Lets just stop right here.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I was being semi-literal, as obviously he wasn't spending all his time on the clothing line.

But it gives a pretty good idea of where his head and ego were at. What other non-superstar has done something like this? Especially at age 23.

Paul Bissonette is a part owner of Sauce Hockey. Maybe not the best example, but with so much uncertainty being a pro-athlete, you see quite a few guys who are trying to build a brand, or leverage their sports excellence to different business ventures.

You see it often with MMA fighters, because their pay is so garbage (relative to other athletes) that they end up trying to find something that provides them with a steady and consistent income (Demetrious Johnson for example is really into gaming and live streams his gaming/interacts with fans and sells merchandise).

Obviously the "CoHo" brand kind of fell flat on his face, but good on the kid for trying to find success outside of hockey as well. Great idea, poor execution in my opinion.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Yeah his clothing line was terrible. It will be disappointing to think that developing that took any time at all. It's literally a logo on a tshirt.

The marketing looks half assed, the site looks half assed, design looks bad. The clothes aren't even specially tailored, just looked like stock tshirts or whatever printed with a custom logo.

http://cohoapparel.com/

As I mentioned above, I am a fan of the idea... but the execution was just terrible.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Obviously the "CoHo" brand kind of fell flat on his face, but good on the kid for trying to find success outside of hockey as well. Great idea, poor execution in my opinion.

My first thought would be to jump to the conclusion that "CoHo" brand was a big indicator of an ego trip, but thinking more rationally Southern Ontario is a massive hockey market where even scrub Leaf players seem to get commercials, so they could have been trying to capitalize on that.

Or of course something in between. But either way, if he can't make it as a pro NHL player branding his clothing line with his name is going to fall flat on its face.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I donno, hes 32, hasn't played in 2 years and only played ~160 NHL games more than Hodgson. I don't know if thats really a great example.

Only around 160 NHL games difference because Cody was *GIFTED* a large number of games because of his pedigree. Wellwood didn't have the same kind of slack. Remember even Cam Barker was given numerous chances because of the same thing (eg., former 1st rounder, etc.,).

IMHO, Cody was on the right path under AV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad