Canucks Managerial Thread | 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
But that is probably too much to ask of people, to evaluate decisions based on their own merit.

Because limiting the conversation makes a lot of sense.

"Well, no, you can't compare things or offer up examples that support your position. You have to base things on their own merit."

"But how will I determine whether or not something stands on its own merit if I have nothing to compare it to? Does everything just become subjective? That doesn't seem to be very helpful."

"Uhhhh, stop asking questions I don't know the answers to."

E: Also, isn't there literally a thread for every single move that this organization makes if you want current All Benning All The Time chatter?

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Nobody did.

Not sure if you were absent when most posters claimed that Benning's acquisition of Baertschi and Etem were either "acceptable" or "solid".

I personally also thought the Pedan move was great, and I've been a huge Pedan supporter.
Dude, it was an off the cuff, light-hearted remark. Hop off your horse and relax.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Well, you had made it a point to single Grabner out as a selection that showed how superior pre-Gillis drafting was, so I'm not sure what we're to make of that since you were arguing that Canucks drafting was "decent."

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=112043589&highlight=#post112043589

This was a post made 2 days ago. The implication being here that Grabner was a "decent" pick, and he was included in a list of players that was meant to be complimentary towards the Canucks "pre-Gillis" drafting.

I did not 'single' Grabner out. I listed him as a player who made it to the NHL during the draft years preceding Gillis. You are reaching here by now projecting some sort of view that I thought Grabner was a '"savvy" pick. We are looking at the drafting as a whole.

Before going on to talk about a 6 year span under Gillis. Which is why I pointed out the fact that there were 3 drafts in prior to Gillis that produced 0 NHL players with far more draft picks, because you were arguing that the Canucks drafting was "average" prior to Gillis coming in and mucking things up beyond recognition.

I'd argue that he more or less stayed the course with the Canucks drafting and it continued to be mediocre. I'd also give him some leeway because expectations for a portion of that time were pushing for the Stanley Cup, so assets were going to be surrendered. This is something folks like to gloss over when looking at Gillis drafting record. Other factors affect what is going on.

Yes, and one of those years was back in 2000. You've cited 2000, 2002 and 2007. I'm not just focusing on one or two years in isolation - I'm looking at them as a whole. A fair approach, given that Gillis was here for 6 years, would be to look at the drafting from 2002 to 2007. In that time frame the Canucks picked 7 NHL players who played at least 100 games. Slightly better than 1 per year. Some years were better than others - 2004 was an amazing draft and 2007 was atrocious. Yes, 2002 was as well. The team did produce NHL players, which was my point. And just players - we drafted an outstanding NHL starting goalie, a top pairing defenceman, an elite two-way centre and an excellent middle six forward (Hansen).

Again - I'm not saying here that each individual pick was amazing, or that players like Grabner were amazing draft picks. The team did produce 7 players however, which thus far is much better than Gillis.

Well, this is sort of the problem I had with what you were saying. Even your most recent post in here is going "it's WAY too early to speculate on things, guys" in regards to Benning's two drafts (and it is something I 100% agree on) but we're very quick to be dismissive to Gillis' latter drafts.

Or we're inconsistent with pointing out Grabner was an "average" pick (or whatever ****ing terminology you want to use) but writing off Hodgson. They're both players with similar games played and have been in similar straits. It also ignores that Gillis went against the grain and selected Hodgson over the "obvious" pick of Kyle Beach, who ended up having a career worse than CoHo.

I'm personally of the opinion that Gillis' drafting was disappointing and that he should be criticized for it, but it is nowhere near as bad as people on here like to proclaim it as being. The Canucks really weren't cranking out NHLers on a consistent basis, outside of that 2004 draft and it is a trend that was going on long before Gillis ever arrived in Vancouver.

Fine. We do have to wait until we can accurately assess Gillis' drafting record - specifically the 2012 / 2013 draft. If we are being realistic the team might get one NHL player out of Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Subban. So 3 players out of 6 years, as opposed to 7 players in 6 years. As an aside - Grabner has played 3x the amount of games Hodgson has (who will be Europe bound shortly imo), and he's playing about 13 minutes per game. He is what he is - a mediocre bottom 6 player. Still has, and will have a much better NHL career than Cody however.

The point I was making is you could argue that the Canucks drafting has been consistently underwhelming, aside from a few bright spots and you can make different arguments. Also, the personnel really hasn't changed since 2000 to now (outside of Gillis shaking things up momentarily) with the same "Chief" being involved (Delorme.)

I'd probably switch to whiskey if the same scouting/drafting personnel, methodologies, etc. have been with the Canucks from the 80s until now. Granted, that's probably not far away with Benning in charge, but really, the Canucks drafting in the 80s really has no point in this conversation because it has been so long ago, the usual suspects we like to talk about aren't involved and player development, drafting strategies and approaches have changed significantly.

I don't disagree with any of this. The point I was making regarding all of this was to refute the weird spin that Gilllis' drafting was somehow this amazing gestation period and in actuality he was secretly revolutionizing the way NHL teams draft so that it was all worth it. He wasn't, and it certainly was not.

castanza

May 30, 2015
Did Thornton say what was attributed to him? Yes.

You don't get it do you ...it's not what he said, its the ethics of publishing locker room talk.

Is everyone mocking you in this thread for making something out of nothing or, perhaps, grasping at straws? Yes.

"everyone"?? two people is "everyone"?? :laugh:
i do find it funny that almost your entire response is trying defending yourself. :laugh:

This is honestly silly. I simply disagreed with another persons opinion on Botchford, its you who perpetuated this needlessness trying to make it something out of nothing by trying to be witty but as usual failing bad.

AwesomeInTheory;112138321 [i said:
grasping at straws[/i]

Btw, glad you finally learned what "grasping at straws" means...i seriously had my doubts.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
29 GM's are now getting nasty e-mails from his Dad.

I admit, I was in the group that once thought we had a future captain in Hodgson.

Kassian was bad at life outside of hockey... turns out Hodgson is just bad at hockey.

How bad was our drafting in the late 2000s.....

Terribad..

And we still managed to snag two President Cup trophies and a game 7 of a SC final.

A real testament to Gillis being able to pick up good value veterans and to how good the Sedins really are.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Pretty funny that in the end Hodgson's high water mark as an NHLer could be his year with the Canucks where he had his agent and his dad hassling the team at every turn. Putting up a 25 goal/43 point pace with the minutes he was getting was a pretty good season.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Hodgson wasn't bad. He just developed extremely badly because he had no interest in taking his time. A prime example of what too much responsibility too soon can result in.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Pretty funny that in the end Hodgson's high water mark as an NHLer could be his year with the Canucks where he had his agent and his dad hassling the team at every turn. Putting up a 25 goal/43 point pace with the minutes he was getting was a pretty good season.

I'm sure he's looking forward to that future Spengler Cup... :laugh:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Hodgson wasn't bad. He just developed extremely badly because he had no interest in taking his time. A prime example of what too much responsibility too soon can result in.

To be fair, it seems like his physical deficiencies is not something that he can overcome.

At the end of the day, considering how short careers are as a player, he did pretty damn well in terms of dollars made and if he didn't take on the path he did, you have to wonder would he have made out as well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To be fair, it seems like his physical deficiencies is not something that he can overcome.

At the end of the day, considering how short careers are as a player, he did pretty damn well in terms of dollars made and if he didn't take on the path he did, you have to wonder would he have made out as well.

... except he did overcome them for a couple seasons. Wasn't like he just hit pro and busted. He was a far better player at age 21-22 then he was at age 25.

The guy was developing his own clothing line when he should have been putting in hard hours training in the offseason to cement his NHL position. Was a case of a guy growing up with Duchene and other stars, and thinking he had the same ability and could coast to being a star.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
... except he did overcome them for a couple seasons. Wasn't like he just hit pro and busted. He was a far better player at age 21-22 then he was at age 25.

The guy was developing his own clothing line when he should have been putting in hard hours training in the offseason to cement his NHL position. Was a case of a guy growing up with Duchene and other stars, and thinking he had the same ability and could coast to being a star.

I thought he "overcame" them by just ignoring one end of the ice which is pretty much a no no for any players.

I am not arguing for him or anything. Just thought it would be interesting to discuss this from another angle.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought he "overcame" them by just ignoring one end of the ice which is pretty much a no no for any players.

I am not arguing for him or anything. Just thought it would be interesting to discuss this from another angle.

A guy who shows what he did coming into the league should have been able to get to the point where he can generate offense while playing a serviceable defensive game, if he wants it and puts the work in.

He should be better than Linden Vey right now, and he isn't.

That said, yeah, his skating obviously really did hurt him and is a major reason why he ended up being such a disappointment.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

The guy was developing his own clothing line when he should have been putting in hard hours training in the offseason to cement his NHL position.

I doubt he actually spent much time doing that (outside of promoting it on social media). You see plenty of athletes who form their own clothing lines/brands but thats typically all overseen by their manager.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that had anything to do with Hodgsons failure.

To me, I think he just didn't have the footspeed to be an effective NHL'er and the league got a lot quicker between the time he was drafted and now.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
A guy who shows what he did coming into the league should have been able to get to the point where he can generate offense while playing a serviceable defensive game, if he wants it and puts the work in.

He should be better than Linden Vey right now, and he isn't.

That said, yeah, his skating obviously really did hurt him and is a major reason why he ended up being such a disappointment.

I want to say that his foot speed might be THAT bad to the point where he can't put up any offense if he tries to defend at all, but then we've seen guys with worse foot speed like Jason Allison survive in the NHL.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I doubt he actually spent much time doing that (outside of promoting it on social media). You see plenty of athletes who form their own clothing lines/brands but thats typically all overseen by their manager.

To me, I think he just didn't have the footspeed to be an effective NHL'er and the league got a lot quicker between the time he was drafted and now.

Yeah his clothing line was terrible. It will be disappointing to think that developing that took any time at all. It's literally a logo on a tshirt.

The marketing looks half assed, the site looks half assed, design looks bad. The clothes aren't even specially tailored, just looked like stock tshirts or whatever printed with a custom logo.

http://cohoapparel.com/

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
His clothing line itself wasn't his downfall, it's the hubris behind initiating that business despite his lack of accomplishments.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I was being semi-literal, as obviously he wasn't spending all his time on the clothing line.

But it gives a pretty good idea of where his head and ego were at. What other non-superstar has done something like this? Especially at age 23.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
His clothing line itself wasn't his downfall, it's the hubris behind initiating that business despite his lack of accomplishments.

Yeah what a joke, especially given the benefit of hindsight. He and some Canucks diehards who say we should still have CoHo are probably the only people left who have the apparel. That and some dude begging for change around the arena.

MISC*

Ive went out with Hodgson, Chopra, Silver and Seguin etc to bars. Dudes a ******

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I was being semi-literal, as obviously he wasn't spending all his time on the clothing line.

But it gives a pretty good idea of where his head and ego were at. What other non-superstar has done something like this? Especially at age 23.

Not sure what age he started, but Biznasty?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Not sure what age he started, but Biznasty?

You need to recognize the difference in attitude.

Bissonnette has a much more appreciative perspective and is distinguished by his self-deprecating humor. Bis knew his role as an enforcer and seems to cherish that he's fortunate to play in the NHL.

Hodgson on the other hand, seemed to have thought he was the **** and was in the league because of his talent.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You need to recognize the difference in attitude.

Bissonnette has a much more appreciative perspective and is distinguished by his self-deprecating humor. Bis knew his role as an enforcer and seems to cherish that he's fortunate to play in the NHL.

Hodgson on the other hand, seemed to have thought he was the **** and was in the league because of his talent.

Oh I fully agree, and those are the reasons I actually like him, well and he can actually be really funny. Just thought he fit the bill, as a young hockey player who started a clothes line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad