Canucks Managerial Thread | 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Yea the guys who probably spent $500+ shmil on the team between 2009-2012 are the ones that slammed the door shut.

Wow

:facepalm:

never thought i'd see a defence of them from you

"i love the aquilini and their fair treatment of the common man" - jimson hogarth, paraphrased

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah, where would anyone get such a foolish idea...

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...vements-from-division-rivals/article26640398/

Must have been a one off... Oh, wait:

Source: http://www.thescore.com/news/830861

Crazy! Obviously despite the fact that he follows through on basically everything he says, we should believe this was part of some in-depth PR campaign. All of his dumb moves are just PR for some Machiavellian scheme.

That or you just are dramatically shifting your stated expectations since you spent 6 months reiterating the same defenses of Benning in every thread. We'll never know.

Other great lines proto believed

"Kevin weekes is the goalie of the future"

"Dave Gagner is the key to the deal"

Etc

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Honest question, when Burke said Gagner was the "key to the trade", did you believe him?

No, but that's generally because I assume anything that comes out of Burke's mouth is blarney or bull.

I honestly like the way Sutter started in a Canucks uniform. After reading some linked posts to Penguins fans ranting I thought we were getting a Sami Pahlsson on his last legs clone. I think as we move along we'll see that 20 goal Centers get paid pretty much what Sutter does.

Conversely, Jeff Cowan scored a hat trick with the Sedins and they turned Anson Carter into a 30 goal scorer. He was being given sweetheart minutes, I'm presuming because Benning doesn't photograph well with egg on his face.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
never thought i'd see a defence of them from you

"i love the aquilini and their fair treatment of the common man" - jimson hogarth, paraphrased

To argue it was the Aqulini's, as they poured money into this franchise and green lighted all of Gillis' schemes- while purchasing an AHL team- closed the window- is a very poor argument.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
No, but that's generally because I assume anything that comes out of Burke's mouth is blarney or bull.

Conversely, Jeff Cowan scored a hat trick with the Sedins and they turned Anson Carter into a 30 goal scorer. He was being given sweetheart minutes, I'm presuming because Benning doesn't photograph well with egg on his face.
Sutter didn't score 20 goals with the Sedins...

Anyhow, I think Centers that can skate and put in 20 are gonna cost, especially UFA years.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That's what happens when you spend to the cap and almost have no choice but to have ELC's on the roster. It's also what happens when certain rookies like McCann outplay the guy you overpaid to acquire (Vey) and took his job.

Trading away youth in favour of veterans, and trading away draft picks doesn't scream rebuild.
What youth are you referring because Markstrom is younger than Lack. Kassian was obviously out of control and needed to go. Corrado just plainly wasn't good enough and required waivers.

Every other move....Sutter younger than Bonino. Baertschi younger than Matthias. Horvat younger than Richardson. McCann -Vey. Virtanen-Kenins.

If you guys couldn't see the shift from last years motivation to this years I don't know what to say.

Linden and Benning were both on record warning we may have to step back to step forward. I love how this is conveniently left out of context.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
He's hit the 20 goal mark once in his career. $4.2M for 20-30 points isn't a great use of money, in my mind.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
He's hit the 20 goal mark once in his career. $4.2M for 20-30 points isn't a great use of money, in my mind.

Fair, enough, lots of people disagree. Doesn't mean that the vitriol against GM and player (who is now a Canuck btw) needs to reach fever pitch.

And a lot of people like the speed dimension Sutter brings. That Aiken majority just isn't heard- it's being drowned out by the vitriolic negativity.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
To argue it was the Aqulini's, as they poured money into this franchise and green lighted all of Gillis' schemes- while purchasing an AHL team- closed the window- is a very poor argument.

they made that money back hand over fist though. it was a business decision and nothing else

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Other great lines proto believed

"Kevin weekes is the goalie of the future"

"Dave Gagner is the key to the deal"

Etc

When has Benning ever engaged in this sort of verbal tomfoolery? He's honest to a fault (among his many faults). Your argument is weak and unsupported.

Besides, didn't you spend the whole summer talking about how Benning had created an atmosphere of character where the hard work wouldn't let up? Didn't you say you hoped the team would compete for the playoffs, but if they didn't, they'd at least try hard every game? The team is mailing it in and getting crushed game after game right now -- the last time they got smashed this badly over a week was in January 2014 when Tortorella went ham and the team imploded. Is this the right environment for young players on ELCs that you spoke of (over and over again)?

We had to listen to you endlessly talk about the character Benning was assembling. What's happening now?

What happened to we need to trade Edler and re-sign Hamhuis to a contract? Still wish we'd re-signed Hamhuis for another three seasons after this one?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
What youth are you referring because Markstrom is younger than Lack. Kassian was obviously out of control and needed to go. Corrado just plainly wasn't good enough and required waivers.

Every other move....Sutter younger than Bonino. Baertschi younger than Matthias. Horvat younger than Richardson. McCann -Vey. Virtanen-Kenins.

If you guys couldn't see the shift from last years motivation to this years I don't know what to say.

Linden and Benning were both on record warning we may have to step back to step forward. I love how this is conveniently left out of context.

Kept Miller over Lack. Kassian/5th for Prust. 2nd for Vey. 2nd for Baertschi. Forsling for Clendening

McCann and Hutton unexpectedly making the team out of camp made the team younger than last years.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I've already said if the team turns in more efforts like Boston I'd be very critical of the team management.

So far I'd grade the teams effort level at a B-

And yes I'd take an Edler trade and look to sign Hamhuis. Hamhuis has had a series of poor partners to work with. I think he still has a lot of value for this franchise as it transitions. An Edler trade has the potential to absolutely be a home run trade that gives us great value back.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Elaborate? Owner directive was to am for the playoffs and steer away a top 5 pick and where would these bunch of first came from?

If Benning knew the team was done he should have convinced ownership to move to proper rebuild, personnally I don't think he recognised it which is worse. A tanking GM wouldn't be near tears during a loss.

Benning had a golden opportunity to rebuild properly with full fan support when he came in, team was primed for it, fans were primed for it, assets had more value, etc. There should have been more of a sell off when the players had value, instead the tradable assets are all losing value.

So should Benning be fired for failing to make the playoffs or failing to recognise the state of his team.

I don't even like Benning but this some like it is taken from reality.

Hardly. Gillis wanted to rebuild in 2013, many fans wanted a rebuild too. They were right on the money.

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I've already said if the team turns in more efforts like Boston I'd be very critical of the team management.

They turned in two of them right before the Boston game. They've had 18, 16, and 16 shots over their last three games.

You're saying this character team that Benning's built is the perfect place to bring in young kids? They're 2 points up on the Oilers, for heaven's sake.

And I'd still love to see any examples of Benning spinning the PR to fit his needs since he came to Vancouver. He basically says exactly what he means about what's he's done or is about to do. I can't think of a time that he's really lied or even obscured the truth. If he comments on something, it appears to be what he thinks. He thought this team was better. He seems shocked that fans were down on his moves at the Summit and he doubled down on that repeatedly. Hard to imagine anyone reading his comments otherwise...

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
They turned in two of them right before the Boston game. They've had 18, 16, and 16 shots over their last three games.

You're saying this character team that Benning's built is the perfect place to bring in young kids? They're 2 points up on the Oilers, for heaven's sake.

Being overmatched and out skilled doesn't mean you aren't putting out a good effort level and competing hard.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
If Benning knew the team was done he should have convinced ownership to move to proper rebuild, personnally I don't think he recognised it which is worse. So should Benning be fired for failing to make the playoffs or failing to recognise the state of his team.

There should have been more of a sell off when the players had value. Instead the tradable assets are all losing value.

Hardly. Gillis wanted to rebuild in 2013, he was right on the money.

I think benning knew after last yrs playoff performance

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Fair, enough, lots of people disagree. Doesn't mean that the vitriol against GM and player (who is now a Canuck btw) needs to reach fever pitch.

And a lot of people like the speed dimension Sutter brings. That Aiken majority just isn't heard- it's being drowned out by the vitriolic negativity.
I think it's hilarious.

Year 1....wanted to get the team back in the playoffs and give the Sedin's a shot.....success.

Year 2....define core future players. instill youth into lineup and speed. Draft, develop and build for the future. If we stay healthy and the young guys step up. We can be a 100 pt team.?..or Key injuries, pouting veterans, bad coaching, young players failing.....losing streak. But the silver lining whiners?

Lottery pick and selling Vrbata Hamhuis and anyone named Higgins Bartkowski Prust Baertschi Burrows Miller for futures

But continue on folks the sky is falling. No matter how much you try to prove yourselves right in your judgement of JB. He will get a couple more seasons to implement his plan.

Or you can drink from the half full glass and watch a beautiful sunrise with....Horvat McCann Boeser Shinkaruk Gaunce Virtanen Hutton Tanev Demko and the soon to be 1st rounder that should be an impact player. That's 10 core players going forward. Combined with Sutter Dorsett Edler(if they don't trade him...I would) as the only post Sedin contracts. Throw in a E.Kane or Lucic or Ladd and you've got the makings of a pretty exciting future.

It's Benning and Lindens master plan and I don't see how arguing over how we spent Aquilinis money during a transition phase will even matter. But carry on being mad.

Me I'm looking forward to the game tonight.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
they made that money back hand over fist though. it was a business decision and nothing else

Yep. Team grew from about $220m to $800m in value (forbes) during Gillis' time, nice fat $580m gain. I wouldn't be surprised of Aquilini borrowed most of that $207m original input, he might only have put in $50m or less, not bad growing that to nice fat $580m gain.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I think it's hilarious.

Year 1....wanted to get the team back in the playoffs and give the Sedin's a shot.....success.

Year 2....define core future players. instill youth into lineup and speed. Draft, develop and build for the future. If we stay healthy and the young guys step up. We can be a 100 pt team.?..or Key injuries, pouting veterans, bad coaching, young players failing.....losing streak. But the silver lining whiners?

Lottery pick and selling Vrbata Hamhuis and anyone named Higgins Bartkowski Prust Baertschi Burrows Miller for futures

But continue on folks the sky is falling. No matter how much you try to prove yourselves right in your judgement of JB. He will get a couple more seasons to implement his plan.

Or you can drink from the half full glass and watch a beautiful sunrise with....Horvat McCann Boeser Shinkaruk Gaunce Virtanen Hutton Tanev Demko and the soon to be 1st rounder that should be an impact player. That's 10 core players going forward. Combined with Sutter Dorsett Edler(if they don't trade him...I would) as the only post Sedin contracts. Throw in a E.Kane or Lucic or Ladd and you've got the makings of a pretty exciting future.

It's Benning and Lindens master plan and I don't see how arguing over how we spent Aquilinis money during a transition phase will even matter. But carry on being mad.

Me I'm looking forward to the game tonight.

Assuming all of them make the NHL and develop into their potential yes.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
That must be why he was talking up how much better than canucks would be in this years playoffs.

I'm a rich prince in Dubai but I'm stuck in Alberta with no access to my millions of dollars if you send me 10k I'll be able to get home and access my money and I'll pay you 1 million!!

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think benning knew after last yrs playoff performance

Agree. He made a bunch of moves in reaction. My beef is he didn't go far enough. It's mitigated somewhat by persistent rumors he tried to do more. If he'd been able to move more players and attract a couple, this would have been a different team. As it went, he was unable to accomplish everything and they entered the season as a work in progress.

That progress was stopped pretty quickly, they are now just needlessly risking assets. As soon as Vitanen became a momentary distraction somebody squashed him like a bug. How long before somebody notices McCann?

Benning must keep working at it. Send the kids down and let vets take the beatings.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I'm a rich prince in Dubai but I'm stuck in Alberta with no access to my millions of dollars if you send me 10k I'll be able to get home and access my money and I'll pay you 1 million!!

Don't get it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Stop you are making Benning cry, now he'll probably throw in a 2nd round pick with that $10K

X8NyF73.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad