Canucks Managerial Thread | 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The last 5 years were such a waste of time.

:(

I don't have a problem with most of those years

* PT & SCF
* PT year
* You don't burn a PT team. This hould have been the final throw of the dice.

Torts year got us a top 6 pick and traded Kesler: good rebuild year.

Last year should have got us a top 5 pick and a bunch of firsts. Such a waste.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yes 4-5 ELCs on a team any given night screams playoffs. That's how you make the playoffs.

That's what happens when you spend to the cap and almost have no choice but to have ELC's on the roster. It's also what happens when certain rookies like McCann outplay the guy you overpaid to acquire (Vey) and took his job.

Trading away youth in favour of veterans, and trading away draft picks doesn't scream rebuild.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Yes 4-5 ELCs on a team any given night screams playoffs. That's how you make the playoffs.

Yeah, clearly McCann and Hutton coming out of nowhere and surprising everyone was all part of Benning's master plan.

Weren't you talking about the Canucks making the playoffs back in September? What on earth could possibly make you think the Canucks would be making the playoffs?

Love these posters that are like weathervanes. Blow any which way the wind goes.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I don't have a problem with most of those years

* PT & SCF
* PT year
* You don't burn a PT team. This hould have been the final throw of the dice.

Torts year got us a top 6 pick and traded Kesler: good rebuild year.

Last year should have got us a top 5 pick and a bunch of firsts. Such a waste.

Elaborate? Owner directive was to am for the playoffs and steer away a top 5 pick and where would these bunch of first came from?

I don't even like Benning but this some like it is taken from reality.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah, clearly McCann and Hutton coming out of nowhere and surprising everyone was all part of Benning's master plan.

Weren't you talking about the Canucks making the playoffs back in September? What on earth could possibly make you think the Canucks would be making the playoffs?

Love these posters that are like weathervanes. Blow any which way the wind goes.
Oh yes I forgot it was Bennings fault Hutton outplayed Corrado ....wait what?

Lol if you can find one single post of mine where I predict this will be a playoff team is be impressed. I must have been drunk...

You guys are twisting yourselves in knots! Half the time you complain this young player isn't getting a good enough chance or enough minutes and now you are saying the only reason they are on the team is because of the cap!

Innaresting world y'all live in as Neil young would say

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
What, no. You're wrong.

Benning clearly was trying to make the Canucks not make the playoffs because it was part of his master plan, because the window slammed shut.

Making the playoffs last year was actually to plant false hope in Canucks fans this season, and all of Benning's efforts in spending to the cap, bringing in players that he specifically said would be great in the playoffs and signing an overpaid veteran goalie was all just to plant false hope in everyone's heads this season.

Some of you are playing checkers, but Jim Benning is playing 5th dimensional chess.

By the way, anyone mention the window slammed shut? It's important to mention that the window slammed shut, because the window slammed shut.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Yes spending to the cap on a team screams wanting to rebuild. That's how you prepare for a rebuild.

Depends on how it is done. Wouldn't do it how they are currently doing but signing crap players to high dollars but if they were taking cap with high draft picks and prospect then it would be fine to take on these dollars and be near the cap. It's not my money but there is a concern on how the cap is being spent for the future of the team.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
What, no. You're wrong.

Benning clearly was trying to make the Canucks not make the playoffs because it was part of his master plan, because the window slammed shut.

Making the playoffs last year was actually to plant false hope in Canucks fans this season, and all of Benning's efforts in spending to the cap, bringing in players that he specifically said would be great in the playoffs and signing an overpaid veteran goalie was all just to plant false hope in everyone's heads this season.

Some of you are playing checkers, but Jim Benning is playing 5th dimensional chess.

By the way, anyone mention the window slammed shut? It's important to mention that the window slammed shut, because the window slammed shut.

Good thing to remember, as well as who slammed the door shut and with what kind of thinking?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Oh yes I forgot it was Bennings fault Hutton outplayed Corrado ....wait what?

Your statement implied that Benning planned to have a number of ELCs on his roster. I'm arguing that McCann/Hutton came out of nowhere and I'd further state that the only player that Benning wanted on the team to start the season was Virtanen. Going into the season with a sophmore and 1 rookie seems a lot more sensible for a "contending" team.

But we give Benning a free pass because...? I guess our window hasn't slammed shut yet. Gotta be focused on that window!

Lol if you can find one single post of mine where I predict this will be a playoff team is be impressed. I must have been drunk...

I actually did check, and you were talking about them making the playoffs or a worst case that they contend for a top 10 pick. I guess if you hedge your bets in such a way you're never technically wrong.

You guys are twisting yourselves in knots! Half the time you complain this young player isn't getting a good enough chance or enough minutes and now you are saying the only reason they are on the team is because of the cap!

I'm glad that they're getting the opportunity, but I don't think that Benning anticipated this happening.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Good thing to remember, as well as who slammed the door shut

apr2108_aquilinis_tt.jpg

and with what kind of thinking?

002594.jpg

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Your statement implied that Benning planned to have a number of ELCs on his roster. I'm arguing that McCann/Hutton came out of nowhere and I'd further state that the only player that Benning wanted on the team to start the season was Virtanen. Going into the season with a sophmore and 1 rookie seems a lot more sensible for a "contending" team.

But we give Benning a free pass because...? I guess our window hasn't slammed shut yet. Gotta be focused on that window!

I actually did check, and you were talking about them making the playoffs or a worst case that they contend for a top 10 pick. I guess if you hedge your bets in such a way you're never technically wrong.

I'm glad that they're getting the opportunity, but I don't think that Benning anticipated this happening.

McCann is the only extra ELC on the roster. Hutton beat our Corrado ho is on an ELC himself. There was 2 planned and a 3rd made it, beating out a $1.0 mil contract in Vey.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
We should spend to the limit every year, no? Why wouldn't we?

Because if you're spending that money on good players, those good players will prevent you from finishing low enough for prime draft picks, thus negating the purpose of a rebuild (aka it was never a rebuild in the first place). If you're spending that money on bad players, you're spending money on bad players (which is what Benning has done).

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

there was a competition for a spot that Corrado and Hutton were battling for, Hutton won. I don't see all this background and planning that went into it. Both Benning and linden said several times this summer the young kids would be given a chance to make the club. I'm glad they did. One of the few reasons I bought tickets.

My point on this team is simply this: I don't want to see uncompetitive hockey where the team quite like in 2014. That was close to Edmonton like. This team is a bit scrappier and has some younger players so I hope they can keep the compete level high.

Now, if this team turns in efforts like the one against Boston in the regular you'll be hearing my complaints about how this team is built.

Until then I've seen pretty much all Bennings moves aside from the Kesler situation that was dumped in his lap- as rearranging chairs on the titanic.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Now, if this team turns in efforts like the one against Boston in the regular you'll be hearing my complaints about how this team is built.

I've been of the opinion that this team as constructed is pretty much a wildcard spot team. I remember the Nonis years where the Canucks weren't good enough (barely) to make the playoffs and that middle, grey area isn't where I want the Canucks to be.

Until then I've seen pretty much all Bennings moves aside from the Kesler situation that was dumped in his lap- as rearranging chairs on the titanic.

Signing Sutter for 6 years indicates otherwise to me, particularly what he said about him afterwards. Focus is on keeping the Canucks a playoff bound team, and I really don't think that is in the best interests of the long term goals of this franchise.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
lol the predicted high watermark for the salary cap next year is 74.5m. benning is salivating at the prospect of filling the entire thing with horrible players with character

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
He thought he was upgrading the roster by rostering as many as 5 ELC's ? Wow

Yeah, where would anyone get such a foolish idea...

“ think our team is better now than it was last year,” Benning said.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...vements-from-division-rivals/article26640398/

Must have been a one off... Oh, wait:

"Yeah, I think so," Benning told TSN's Bob McKenzie when asked if his new-look team is capable of reaching the 100-point plateau again.

"We're going to have some young players come in this year and make our team. We're going to be a faster team, a harder team to play against this year."

Source: http://www.thescore.com/news/830861

Crazy! Obviously despite the fact that he follows through on basically everything he says, we should believe this was part of some in-depth PR campaign. All of his dumb moves are just PR for some Machiavellian scheme.

That or you just are dramatically shifting your stated expectations since you spent 6 months reiterating the same defenses of Benning in every thread. We'll never know.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Yea the guys who probably spent $500+ shmil on the team between 2009-2012 are the ones that slammed the door shut.

Wow

:facepalm:

Millionaires get cranky when their investments aren't returning the value they perceive they should be receiving.

I don't think it is a coincidence that ownership is angrily calling up journalists to ream them out and threaten lawsuits (that never happen.)

This team has been hounded by rumors of the Aquillinis involving themselves in day to day operations. Nonis was rumored to have been canned because he didn't package Edler and Kesler for Brad Richards at the trade deadline, so this isn't something coming out of nowhere.

When you keep hearing rumors of them sticking their noses into things, you have to start to wonder.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I've been of the opinion that this team as constructed is pretty much a wildcard spot team. I remember the Nonis years where the Canucks weren't good enough (barely) to make the playoffs and that middle, grey area isn't where I want the Canucks to be.

Signing Sutter for 6 years indicates otherwise to me, particularly what he said about him afterwards. Focus is on keeping the Canucks a playoff bound team, and I really don't think that is in the best interests of the long term goals of this franchise.
Honest question, when Burke said Gagner was the "key to the trade", did you believe him?

I honestly like the way Sutter started in a Canucks uniform. After reading some linked posts to Penguins fans ranting I thought we were getting a Sami Pahlsson on his last legs clone. I think as we move along we'll see that 20 goal Centers get paid pretty much what Sutter does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad