Post-Game Talk: Canucks lost to Golden Knights | 1-4 (Kuzmenko) | Not Good Enough

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Definitely an exception to the rule, no?
Eh, they've done it like 3 times in their short franchise history. Im all for the Vegas approach of long term be damned, load up now. You can't predict the future, and there are so many examples of the slow methodical approach never panning out.

NHL rosters are small enough that you can, even if just briefly, build a loaded lineup in 1 offseason/season if you're willing to pay the price.

Reactions: Hollel

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Eh, they've done it like 3 times in their short franchise history. Im all for the Vegas approach of long term be damned, load up now. You can't predict the future, and there are so many examples of the slow methodical approach never panning out.

NHL rosters are small enough that you can, even if just briefly, build a loaded lineup in 1 offseason/season if you're willing to pay the price.
I'm certainly not opposed to going for it! I just don't think its warranted quite yet with our squad.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
It was a bad game but I don't think 4-1 to the Cup champs is 'embarrassing'.

The game was there for the taking & they went quietly, didn't even pose a threat.

Again this game was for #1 in the West, the Canucks were right there with Vegas in the standings, and didn't even put up much of a challenge. Overall it wasn't a competitive game really.

The guys worked hard but they didn't create anything. They'd have possession for 5 mins then Vegas would throw a few random pucks on net & get as dangerous a chance as we had in the 5 mins of good play prior.

The bar is higher now & if its high enough that we should be competitive in these games, then it was embarrassing imo.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Didn't think it was so much that Vegas just overran us as it was that the team (and especially some of the core players) had off nights. One thing that was noticeable was how strong Vegas is on their sticks and how they use their reach to consistently knock the puck off Canuck sticks and deflect shots.

Good

hmmm ...

like to say Garland but he so frustrating. Creates chances but then muffs chances to put the puck away. If he had converted something in the second maybe have a game but seemingly never does.

Might say Lafferty wasn't bad.

Thought Miller had a rough first but played better as the game went on.

Not Good

Juulsen - good bye (I hope) and off to Abby.

Di Guiseppe - losing any hope for this player. Any notion that he was having a late career ressurection is surely gone. Can do nothing with the puck. Too bad b/c the team needed him to be good.

Aman - did he play?? - don't remember him seeing him all game.

Demko - couldn't control rebounds or cover the puck. Only a few games this season were the team has been as out -goaltended as they were in this one.

Cole - looks to be wearing down as does much of the defense

Hughes/Hronek - probably their worse games of the season. Over work seems to be catching up on them.

Freidman - can't get up ice well enough to shorten his passes and couldn't handle the Vegas size.

And of course there was Pettersson. A supposed star player can't play this bad. Other top end players have off nights but not like this. If he is injured, rest him b/c he can only hurt you playing like this. Some people get upset that I say he is on his butt all game - well, ok I'll say he not on his butt all game - in many cases he's on his knees, or his side, or his belly - whatever, but he is not on his feet.

And it is not only the physical weakness he is showing, it is the decision making. Like trying to shuffle the puck thru 2 or 3 players, or making blind passes to non existent players or to the other team. Right now he is reduced to a maybe adequate PKer.

HIs next contract has now become a quandry - Is this the player we saw late last season or is the player we are seeing right now ?

People are wanting to crush on Myers but he was far from being the worse defenseman. Penalty was a bad call IMO and led to a desivive goal. Hronek drew a penalty on Stone by clutching Stone's stick and I thought the Vegas player suckered the ref here as well. What goes around comes around.

Canucks have the home stand ahead but in some ways you'd like them back on the road to get their game together. I guess one hope is that Zadorov can come in, rip his shirt open and reveal his Superman crest.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It was a bad game but I don't think 4-1 to the Cup champs is 'embarrassing'.

Yep. Games like this show the work we still have ahead of us to improve this group. It should also show this group the kind of effort they’re going to have to put in consistently, too.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The game was there for the taking & they went quietly, didn't even pose a threat.

Again this game was for #1 in the West, the Canucks were right there with Vegas in the standings, and didn't even put up much of a challenge. Overall it wasn't a competitive game really.

The guys worked hard but they didn't create anything. They'd have possession for 5 mins then Vegas would throw a few random pucks on net & get as dangerous a chance as we had in the 5 mins of good play prior.

The bar is higher now & if its high enough that we should be competitive in these games, then it was embarrassing imo.
I would have thought that the canuck players would have been self motivated to prove that they are not frauds , and are legit fighting for top spot in the division.

Not to be..one team was completely outclassed..embarrasing.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I would have thought that the canuck players would have been self motivated to prove that they are not frauds , and are legit fighting for top spot in the division.

Not to be..one team was completely outclassed..embarrasing.

Gotta say I think through the last few years you've been one of the more optimistic posters, and I think I've looked at things glass half full aswell, but I agree completely tonight theres no sugar coating it. It was a big test & the game was never in question.

We gave Vegas better games (even won) when we were bad, but now that top teams are taking us seriously we can't seem to rise to the occasion.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I don't think I hated Sbisa more than I hate Myers right now

Sbisa was worse. But the feeling towards Sbisa was less hate and more:

nice-jacksonville-jaguars-fan.gif

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
He does a lot but I’m often left wondering how much he’s accomplishing. His shot is just so weak to ever be a legitimate scoring threat in the top 6. If he made $2.5-3M he’d be a good asset on a 3rd line. Problem with being on a line with Joshua and Blueger is neither of those guys can bury the puck consistently either.

He needs a big body like Joshua that just goes to the net but like, a Joshua that can score a bit more.

That missed chance in front of the net today was painful, reminded me of Bernier squandering like the 50 tap-ins the Sedins gifted him.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Yeah I tend to think Gillis' biggest mistake was not going 'all in' when he had the chance.

Reactions: Flik

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Literally no improvement since years ago in the series against Vegas. Exact same story, getting dominated and pinned in our own zone all game. Except our goalie didn’t bail us out. I really want to believe it’s just “we didn’t put in effort” but it’s most likely just our roster is not good enough…

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Canucks best player got owned by Vegas’ best players. This wasn’t a roster construction issue. Canucks Franchise Centre is playing like Linden Vey and Miller was due a bad game after playing lights out for 2 months

I think it’s time you split up Hronek and Hughes. Team needs a guy that can push the pace from the back end for majority of the game not just 25 minutes

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Literally no improvement since years ago in the series against Vegas. Exact same story, getting dominated and pinned in our own zone all game. Except our goalie didn’t bail us out. I really want to believe it’s just “we didn’t put in effort” but it’s most likely just our roster is not good enough…
I dont think anyone thought our current roster was good enough to beat Vegas in a playoffs

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Canucks best player got owned by Vegas’ best players. This wasn’t a roster construction issue. Canucks Franchise Centre is playing like Linden Vey and Miller was due a bad game after playing lights out for 2 months

I think it’s time you split up Hronek and Hughes. Team needs a guy that can push the pace from the back end for majority of the game not just 25 minutes

Bingo. Miller line got caved. Pettersson was pretty terrible.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Didn't think it was so much that Vegas just overran us as it was that the team (and especially some of the core players) had off nights. One thing that was noticeable was how strong Vegas is on their sticks and how they use their reach to consistently knock the puck off Canuck sticks and deflect shots.

Good

hmmm ...

like to say Garland but he so frustrating. Creates chances but then muffs chances to put the puck away. If he had converted something in the second maybe have a game but seemingly never does.

Might say Lafferty wasn't bad.

Thought Miller had a rough first but played better as the game went on.

Not Good

Juulsen - good bye (I hope) and off to Abby.

Di Guiseppe - losing any hope for this player. Any notion that he was having a late career ressurection is surely gone. Can do nothing with the puck. Too bad b/c the team needed him to be good.

Aman - did he play?? - don't remember him seeing him all game.

Demko - couldn't control rebounds or cover the puck. Only a few games this season were the team has been as out -goaltended as they were in this one.

Cole - looks to be wearing down as does much of the defense

Hughes/Hronek - probably their worse games of the season. Over work seems to be catching up on them.

Freidman - can't get up ice well enough to shorten his passes and couldn't handle the Vegas size.

And of course there was Pettersson. A supposed star player can't play this bad. Other top end players have off nights but not like this. If he is injured, rest him b/c he can only hurt you playing like this. Some people get upset that I say he is on his butt all game - well, ok I'll say he not on his butt all game - in many cases he's on his knees, or his side, or his belly - whatever, but he is not on his feet.

And it is not only the physical weakness he is showing, it is the decision making. Like trying to shuffle the puck thru 2 or 3 players, or making blind passes to non existent players or to the other team. Right now he is reduced to a maybe adequate PKer.

HIs next contract has now become a quandry - Is this the player we saw late last season or is the player we are seeing right now ?

People are wanting to crush on Myers but he was far from being the worse defenseman. Penalty was a bad call IMO and led to a desivive goal. Hronek drew a penalty on Stone by clutching Stone's stick and I thought the Vegas player suckered the ref here as well. What goes around comes around.

Canucks have the home stand ahead but in some ways you'd like them back on the road to get their game together. I guess one hope is that Zadorov can come in, rip his shirt open and reveal his Superman crest.

I think finally having a chance to get proper rest and practice time is more important for this group. I think they’ve slowly lost the habits they were doing well at the start of the year and they need to start getting those reps in.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
I dont think anyone thought our current roster was good enough to beat Vegas in a playoffs
It’s not that I think that we can beat them. It’s that there has been literally no improvement since the Vegas series. With The same core too, it really makes one wonder and given our salary cap whether there is any room for improvement…

Reactions: Jay26

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver

Pettersson is a real question mark these days. He managed to put up points early in the season but was never really driving much. His wrap around goal yesterday was shades of what good Petey looks like. But when you compare him, a guy who is supposed to be or wants to be paid like a superstar, to a guy like Hughes, who completely dominates games at times, it's really no contest. It's also no wonder his line isn't generating anything.

I imagine the contract is living rent-free in his head right now and he doesn't seem to do well with those kinds of things. He needs to just be able to play instinctively and he's definitely not doing that right now. Hard decisions to be made.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops

Yeah I don't think it's about the result or even the scoreline. It's that they didn't really show anything new in a measuring stick game. They got doubled up in shots, struggled to defend in front of their net, etc etc etc. All the same stuff. It was just a sigh worthy game, really.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Just remember folks, you don't build a true contender overnight and we've got a couple more years of ups and downs before we're in that top tier.

We're not in the upper echelon yet, but with some savvy moves we'll get there.

The sad reality is we simply don't have that luxury. How many seasons will we get Miller at this production level before age or general wear inevitably catches up? Pettersson remains a question mark. If he does sign, how long for? Despite all his warts, Boeser is scoring at a ridiculous pace.

It isn't like we have cap space on the horizon either. Letting go of Myers (or re-signing him for significantly less) gets eaten up by Pettersson and Hronek's extension.

Management is going to have to be creative, especially with Benning's last shadow looming better next year.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Their record against teams currently in a playoff spot (by points percentage) is 3-3-1. I don't know if that stat is really cause for concern and I assume many teams have records like that.

And then there are cases of teams like NYI/NSH who are only outside of playoff spots because of losses to Vancouver.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Yeah I think this is what's pissing people off. Not the result. I know I expected better tonight, win or lose. I expected to witness the evolution of this team, not more of the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad