Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose to Blue Jackets | 3-4 in OT (Horvat, Pettersson, Horvat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Let's remember to respect each other.
Respect and integrity go a long way in both the online and offline world.

I did because I thought it was funny. I’ve changed to something more benign at their request.
Vector - you are a natural leader and a man of integrity. Please do not succumb to peer pressure.

I'm pulling for you my friend.

Sincerely,

Ruthervin.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
when was the last time vancouver head coach sat a star player regardless of their contract status. i gotta think back in the 2000s wce line at one point.

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
Fully expect another loss in Minnesota and the team comes home 0-4-1. Hopefully fans can give them a warm welcome for their efforts on the road. No point in dissecting this game. Everyone needs to be better.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Fully expect another loss in Minnesota and the team comes home 0-4-1. Hopefully fans can give them a warm welcome for their efforts on the road. No point in dissecting this game. Everyone needs to be better.
I don’t think the result in Minnesota matters in the context you are referring to.

1-4, 0-5 is the same thing to me. Feels like it’s probably the same to the fans as well.

If you had won one of the last two, you can talk about salvaging a road trip (2-3) and now that’s gone.

There will be immense pressure to string wins as soon as that homestand starts.

Reactions: CanuckCity

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Watching on PVR (though I had the score spoiled for me).

Boeser is invisible, but he's come back quickly from a hand injury so that's not a terminal thing, but it's not helping.

Tucker Poolman: Maybe he's never been healthy enough to find his rhythm, and I'm glad he's healthy as a person, but I don't see it in him at all. I don't think it's a coincidence that the worst Hughes has looked has been with Hamonic (who was good in his prime, but sucks now) and Poolman. Both are basically stupid players. Hughes played with with Tanev, of course, and Schenn who has big warts (foot speed) but has really strong hockey sense and is smart, if not flashy, with the puck.

Poolman thinks he's a puck carrier, he make stupid mistakes/reads and then gets lost in coverage. So Hughes has no outs to evade forecheckers and tries to do too much.

Horvat has been really hit or miss this season. Not good enough for the captain of a team in our position, but he's far from the biggest problem (but it IS a problem).

Hughes has been paired with Poolman too much, but I also suspect he may be playing with an injury. He just looks like he's second guessing himself and making bad decisions. He was really good last year, and people including Elliotte Friedman commented a bunch during the lead up to the season that he looked like a man on a mission and would have a banger year. He may still, but he's struggling thus far.

Schenn looks like he's lost half a step and he can't afford that, but at least he always plays like he cares.

Myers looked pretty decent (though I'm still 15 mins left in the 3rd so perhaps he does something stupid), especially for a first game rushing back from injury.

First goal was largely on Kuzmenko losing his point man, but that's going to happen. He's adjusting from different systems and larger rinks, these mistakes will happen but his playmaking and poise are worth the growing pains.

Garland: I don't mind sitting Garland. I saw people on reddit saying they should have benched Joshua. Benching Joshua sends no message at all. I don't know specifically why it was Garland but I will give Bruce the benefit of the doubt that he didn't like something Garland was doing. Maybe he made a selfish rush or two instead of dumping it, or was playing outside the system. Either way, get him back next game and hopefully he plays like he was shot out of a cannon.

OEL looks worse than last year. I have always really liked him as a player from his early Phoenix days until now, but if he is actually taking a step back, his contract becomes a millstone. I give him the benefit of the doubt in saying he has been saddled with Poolman (when he isn't dragging down Hughes) and trying to play against top lines, but some trepidation here.

Speaking of trepidation. I defended the Miller signing as being better than getting nothing or a terrible haul, and worse than getting a good trade return, but didn't mind the numbers considering the body of work.
I am officially concerned. He looks like 2021 Miller. His pilot light isn't reliable.
I can't figure out if he's hurt or just out of shape but he reminds me so much of when a fat ex junior player plays beer league and tries flashy ill-advised moves that don't work, and then makes some splashy but ineffective attempt to get the puck back (like diving to block the pass on the Laughton breakaway last game). Those flashy retrieval attempts are lazy and selfish, they aren't the same as hustling and being relentless. They are lazy attempts to appear like you give a shit.
Today he was outmanned on the puck by Kent Johnson and Cole Sillinger at different times which is humiliating.
If he isn't hurt, showing up out of shape is unforgivable. I remember in training camp all of the columnists saying things like, "Sleep walking out there, but presumably knows how to turn it on when he needs it". How about no. If he's just being petulant, then I am done with him, except wait no I'm not. 8 more years. Miller needs to wake the f*** up.

On the bright side, Petey and Podkolzin are forwards you can build around on both sides of the puck.

This team is poorly constructed currently. Too many guys who want to do the flashy thing, not enough guys who want to retrieve the puck. Not enough snarl. Team is scared to scratch Joshua, who has been entirely ineffective, because he's basically the only player other than Schenn who might actually stand up to bullying by the other team.

Next ten games tells a serious story about this team.

Boudreau is on thin ice, I guarantee you that. And re-signing Horvat is far from a sure thing. Especially if his representation thinks his comparable is Sean Couturier (and it does).

Really frustrating start to this season.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
C3435409-8F7F-4828-B496-9FAF6FCBCD39.jpeg

Most fans know, but just a reminder.
Look at the top performer. It was mostly a goalie. We have always sucked, the bubble was built on this teams goalie standing on his head game in and and game out

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Watching on PVR (though I had the score spoiled for me).

Boeser is invisible, but he's come back quickly from a hand injury so that's not a terminal thing, but it's not helping.

Tucker Poolman: Maybe he's never been healthy enough to find his rhythm, and I'm glad he's healthy as a person, but I don't see it in him at all. I don't think it's a coincidence that the worst Hughes has looked has been with Hamonic (who was good in his prime, but sucks now) and Poolman. Both are basically stupid players. Hughes played with with Tanev, of course, and Schenn who has big warts (foot speed) but has really strong hockey sense and is smart, if not flashy, with the puck.

Poolman thinks he's a puck carrier, he make stupid mistakes/reads and then gets lost in coverage. So Hughes has no outs to evade forecheckers and tries to do too much.

Horvat has been really hit or miss this season. Not good enough for the captain of a team in our position, but he's far from the biggest problem (but it IS a problem).

Hughes has been paired with Poolman too much, but I also suspect he may be playing with an injury. He just looks like he's second guessing himself and making bad decisions. He was really good last year, and people including Elliotte Friedman commented a bunch during the lead up to the season that he looked like a man on a mission and would have a banger year. He may still, but he's struggling thus far.

Schenn looks like he's lost half a step and he can't afford that, but at least he always plays like he cares.

Myers looked pretty decent (though I'm still 15 mins left in the 3rd so perhaps he does something stupid), especially for a first game rushing back from injury.

First goal was largely on Kuzmenko losing his point man, but that's going to happen. He's adjusting from different systems and larger rinks, these mistakes will happen but his playmaking and poise are worth the growing pains.

Garland: I don't mind sitting Garland. I saw people on reddit saying they should have benched Joshua. Benching Joshua sends no message at all. I don't know specifically why it was Garland but I will give Bruce the benefit of the doubt that he didn't like something Garland was doing. Maybe he made a selfish rush or two instead of dumping it, or was playing outside the system. Either way, get him back next game and hopefully he plays like he was shot out of a cannon.

OEL looks worse than last year. I have always really liked him as a player from his early Phoenix days until now, but if he is actually taking a step back, his contract becomes a millstone. I give him the benefit of the doubt in saying he has been saddled with Poolman (when he isn't dragging down Hughes) and trying to play against top lines, but some trepidation here.

Speaking of trepidation. I defended the Miller signing as being better than getting nothing or a terrible haul, and worse than getting a good trade return, but didn't mind the numbers considering the body of work.
I am officially concerned. He looks like 2021 Miller. His pilot light isn't reliable.
I can't figure out if he's hurt or just out of shape but he reminds me so much of when a fat ex junior player plays beer league and tries flashy ill-advised moves that don't work, and then makes some splashy but ineffective attempt to get the puck back (like diving to block the pass on the Laughton breakaway last game). Those flashy retrieval attempts are lazy and selfish, they aren't the same as hustling and being relentless. They are lazy attempts to appear like you give a shit.
Today he was outmanned on the puck by Kent Johnson and Cole Sillinger at different times which is humiliating.
If he isn't hurt, showing up out of shape is unforgivable. I remember in training camp all of the columnists saying things like, "Sleep walking out there, but presumably knows how to turn it on when he needs it". How about no. If he's just being petulant, then I am done with him, except wait no I'm not. 8 more years. Miller needs to wake the f*** up.

On the bright side, Petey and Podkolzin are forwards you can build around on both sides of the puck.

This team is poorly constructed currently. Too many guys who want to do the flashy thing, not enough guys who want to retrieve the puck. Not enough snarl. Team is scared to scratch Joshua, who has been entirely ineffective, because he's basically the only player other than Schenn who might actually stand up to bullying by the other team.

Next ten games tells a serious story about this team.

Boudreau is on thin ice, I guarantee you that. And re-signing Horvat is far from a sure thing. Especially if his representation thinks his comparable is Sean Couturier (and it does).

Really frustrating start to this season.
Great post, I enjoy reading your stuff. I wanted to like but mods took away my liking and posting threads privileges (temporary I hope)

Anyways I’ll express my appreciation with replying.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can't let the goaltenders off the hook for this horrendous start.....they're just not getting the huge saves from Demko and Martin right now. In fact the Canucks goalie has been the 'second best' goalie on the ice every game now.

Martin made a few key saves last night, but that Gaudreau wraparound goal was downright ugly. That simply can't go in, with a one goal lead in the third period.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Garland should’ve been dumped for a Bjorkstrand like return of zero cap and some mid picks this summer or better yet for a 2nd at last deadline.

The makeup of the roster is slanted way too heavily to the wing. JT Miller is forced from the wing because there is so many and a real lack of Center ice depth.

JT Miller at C is a short term injury replacement move, not a long term plan.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Garland should’ve been dumped for a Bjorkstrand like return of zero cap and some mid picks this summer or better yet for a 2nd at last deadline.

The makeup of the roster is slanted way too heavily to the wing. JT Miller is forced from the wing because there is so many and a real lack of Center ice depth.

They completely misread the winger market and it's a major red flag. Went all-in on the wings while the smart teams adjusted. This is like if someone spent the last two months buying jerrry cans and stocking up on gasoline.

The sad part is that the wings aren't even that good.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They completely misread the winger market and it's a major red flag. Went all-in on the wings while the smart teams adjusted. This is like if someone spent the last two months buying jerrry cans and stocking up on gasoline.

The sad part is that the wings aren't even that good.

On the flip side they HAD to build depth somewhere and that was what was available to them. There was nothing really out there on the blueline. Center was solid so the looked at the wings and farm depth. And addressed those.

I'm not sure smart teams adjusted at all. I think they went onto other plans as well. And trades like Tampa spending a 1st on a winger in Hagel aren't looking great right now. Even if he's 24 and it was a deadline deal.

Reactions: racerjoe

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I don't feel like this was their thinking when they gave him that contract. Also if Miller is a winger full-time, and you lose Horvat ... whoo doggy, that'll be a bad team.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
On the flip side they HAD to build depth somewhere and that was what was available to them. There was nothing really out there on the blueline. Center was solid so the looked at the wings and farm depth. And addressed those.

I'm not sure smart teams adjusted at all. I think they went onto other plans as well. And trades like Tampa spending a 1st on a winger in Hagel aren't looking great right now. Even if he's 24 and it was a deadline deal.
Disagree Center was solid. They’re shoehorning a winger into the position. Miller at C is a injury replacement short term kind of move not a long team solution imo.

They already had depth at wing.

Tampa acquired a cost controlled role player for more than one season. That was their intent all along. They made it to the finals.

Edit* Hagel played 22 minutes last night. I think they value him more than you have

I don't feel like this was their thinking when they gave him that contract. Also if Miller is a winger full-time, and you lose Horvat ... whoo doggy, that'll be a bad team.
Exactly my thinking with regards to Horvat. I do however think Miller’s deal as a winger is fine, especially if he plays with Pettersson who has looked like the only one going so far.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Edit - not the thread for this, will leave it alone

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Scratching Garland over a handful of actual bad players/better options simply makes your team worse. Bruce is lucky we played a pretty lousy team (that was also missing their sniper) because against a decent team we probably lose in regulation.

If Bruce needed to scratch a bigger name to send a message, then why not go right to the top? Mr. big new contract and on the ice for like every goal against?

This was Bruce trying to play 4D chess and instead ended up just looking like an idiot. Same thing happens to all coaches when they feel the heat and decide they are smarter than they really are. He wanted to "send a message" but also didn't have the balls to go after one of his big guys, which shows he's toothless.

Simply a joke that you scratch a proven top-6 5-on-5 producer over an AHL floater lol.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Scratching Garland over a handful of actual bad players/better options simply makes your team worse. Bruce is lucky we played a pretty lousy team (that was also missing their sniper) because against a decent team we probably lose in regulation.

If Bruce needed to scratch a bigger name to send a message, then why not go right to the top? Mr. big new contract and on the ice for like every goal against?

This was Bruce trying to play 4D chess and instead ended up just looking like an idiot. Same thing happens to all coaches when they feel the heat and decide they are smarter than they really are. He wanted to "send a message" but also didn't have the balls to go after one of his big guys, which shows he's toothless.

Simply a joke that you scratch a proven top-6 5-on-5 producer over an AHL floater lol.

I could see it if Garland had been making Miller-esque sloppy plays that had contributed to some of the blown leads. In that case, sure.

But the guy literally hasn't been on the ice for an ES goal by the other team this year. He's just been 'kind of quiet'. It's absolutely ridiculous he only got a 3-game leash after the way he finished last year.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm absolutely floored by how little I want to watch this team play. Even the 10 minute DTMTS highlight pack was frustrating and I was waiting for the inevitable collapse.

As far as actually sitting down for 2.5 hours to watch a full game, forget it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You guys are reaching.

0-3 and Garland is paid to score.....hasn't done enough

Literally every top-9 player will have multiple 3-game stretches this year where they record 1 point. None of them will be healthy scratched.

He's hardly been terrible and removing a player of his abilities from the lineup over Joshua and Aman is absurd and decreases the team's chances of winning significantly.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Fun (and Useless) fact. According to Money puck Petey is currently Starting less than 50% of his shifts on the fly. Only player on the team doing so.

On the other side its Aman with over 65% of his shifts starting on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad