Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose By A Lotz.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yes but how can you possibly make any conclusions from this tournament when players who played poorly have played well in the nhl? Let's take Corrado as an example, can we make a conclusion about Corrado from this tournament? No you really can't. We've seen him play well in the nhl playoffs (the highest level of hockey possible), the nhl regular season, the ohl (which is itself a higher level of hockey than this tournament), and the ahl, so what can we possibly conclude from these 3 games other than he didn't play well these three games?

Using your logic Frankie can only be good at this stage of his career if he plays in Vancouver. You say he played well in the OHL-can't play there anymore. The NHL in the Playoffs 2 years ago and the NHL last season (though many Vancouver posters don't agree he played well in his call-ups last season). He was terrible in this tournamaent, so I read loud and clear. All the criticisms I've read during these three games are basically the same problems he exhibited last season in Utica (as I reported on several occasions to only be lambasted by Vancouver fans who love the guy). If he is going to play like this in Utica, obviously he should be in Vancouver because that's the only place he apparently stands out.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Horvat also said

"We lost puck battles, we were out played, we were outshot, you name it. We have to learn from this" - Horvat

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
...it has nothing to do about proving your manhood. But it has everything to do with showing what type of man and teammate you are. I also don't think you "have" to fight every single time a guy challenges you. My original comment said if you're going to throw out a dirty hit, you should answer the bell afterwords. This holds true for not only our Canucks, but every other player as well. Just as Marchant should have fought after low bridging Salo, Keith elbow on Sedin etc...

If you're going to throw a dirty hit, at least stick up for yourself, man up and answer the bell. ESPECIALLY when you're getting blown out, especially being one of the "leaders" on the team, especially when you're fighting for a NHL roster spot and ESPECIALLY with every single scout and management member in the building watching you.

I'm sure scouts and management don't care if he answered your bell...I think you are he only person who does.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
You're neglecting the 2nd through 7th rounds but okay.

The difference in value after the 1st/2nd round between 2 picks in the same round isn't all that significant.

But here, let's make a full comparison:

Canucks: Horvat(9), Shinkaruk(24), Gaunce(26), Jensen(29), Cederholm(145), Corrado(150), Stewart(186)

Flames: Bennett(4), Klimchuk(28), MacDonald(34), Sieloff(42), Granlund(45), Smith(54), Kanzig(67), Ramage(103), Gaudreau(104), Kulak(105), Arnold(108), Ferland(133), Ortio(171), Carroll(184)

Between 2009 and 2014, the Flames had 3 second round picks, 5 third round picks, 5 fourth round picks, 4 fifth round picks, 5 sixth round picks, and 6 seventh round picks.

The Canucks had 3 second round picks, 4 third rounders, 5 fourth rounders, 6 fifth rounders, 7 sixth round picks, and 6 seventh round picks.

In other words, The Flames had one extra third round pick while we had two extra sixth round picks over those 6 years.

But yes, the Flames have had such a huge advantage in us for draft picks...

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I'm not sure how anyone can say Horvat is the next Bergeron. Maybe defensively they are similar but offensively they're nothing alike.

Bergeron is quick and shifty and an offensive catalyst when he has the puck. Horvat appears to be a good passer but I don't see any Bergeron level plays being made, ever.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
These three games have been virtually unwatchable. Scrambly, unstructured, boring hockey. Maybe they should consider holding this after rookie mini-camps are over so that there is more cohesion amongst the teams. Can't wait for main camp to start.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Honestly who cares?

Valid question.

These three games have been virtually unwatchable. Scrambly, unstructured, boring hockey. Maybe they should consider holding this after rookie mini-camps are over so that there is more cohesion amongst the teams. Can't wait for main camp to start.

Agreed. These camps are for finding depth players for minor leagues and for fan amusement. You can't expect anything grandiose about it. Tanev was scouted on his college performance, not on these 3 game tournaments.

How they perform in main camp is where we can really start evaluating what's happening. This is basically a WHL rookie camp for the most part.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks 12m
#Canucks re-assign Liberati, release James, Bellerive, Martin, Revel, Thrower, Whistle & Wilson. #YoungStars
Expand

No surprises. Also, Lotz, Valk and Humphries are headed to main camp. A little surprised about Humphries, I thought he was awful.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Didn't catch the game so I can only comment on what has been said in this thread by others, but you can't reasonably expect any forward to stand out with a blue line as bereft of talent as ours was in this tourny. Unless you expect the forwards to come back, win the puck, and then break out all by themselves you need at least moderately competent Dmen to move the puck out and support the play up the ice. Guys like Bo aren't necessarily elite puck carriers through the neutral zone, as he's generally more effective possessing the puck down low once the puck is in the offensive zone. He's just not the type of player who will ever look good in this type of loose, low-talent system. Gaunce too. That's why you see the quicker, high-puck skills kids have the most success - Gaudreau, Petan, Ehlers, Valk, Shinkaruk. I think people should view these games more as a chance for players to get some early competitive action before main camp and not focus so much on the "how our prospects stack up to their prospects" angle. Unless you really think Curtis Valk is a better pro prospect than Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Gaunce, et al.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Thought Zalewski had a pretty solid game. Strong along the boards and was impressive on the forecheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad