Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose By A Lotz.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
this is the fan's first chance to see the amount of improvement throughout the off season. so can't expect people not to be disappointment and consider any tournament a "write-off". The sign of a good prospect is one that shows he can improve year to year. You like to see more consistency with this guys also.

Yes but how can you possibly make any conclusions from this tournament when players who played poorly have played well in the nhl? Let's take Corrado as an example, can we make a conclusion about Corrado from this tournament? No you really can't. We've seen him play well in the nhl playoffs (the highest level of hockey possible), the nhl regular season, the ohl (which is itself a higher level of hockey than this tournament), and the ahl, so what can we possibly conclude from these 3 games other than he didn't play well these three games?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Not a single Benning player (outside the 7th rounder) played this tournament. This is basically a tourney of 2011/2012/2013/2014 for draft picks. Go look back from 2011 to 2013 and see how many, and WHERE Van picked compared to their competition. It doesn't take a genius (or maybe it does) to find out where the discrepancy is.

The only 1st round picks on Calgary's roster were Bennett(4) and Klimchuk(28).

The Canucks had Jensen(29), Gaunce(26), Shinkaruk(24), and Horvat(9).

If guys like Monahan and Baertchi were playing then maybe you could say they had an advantage due to where they were drafting.

member 202355

The only 1st round picks on Calgary's roster were Bennett(3) and Klimchuk(28).

The Canucks had Jensen(29), Gaunce(26), Shinkaruk(22), and Horvat(9).

If guys like Monahan and Baertchi were playing then maybe you could say they had an advantage due to where they were drafting.

Bennett was 4th overall, not 3rd. Shinkaruk was 24th.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Prehistoric? Do you watch an alternate version or "touch-hockey" that I don't know about. Last time I checked fighting and physical play were still a huge part of the game, especially after dirty hits.

I'll take a team of 21 players who have the stones to at least stand up for themself and answer the bell when called upon opposed to this new aged, physical exempt hockey you seem to covet.

Never said fighting and hockey didn't play a big part of hockey, I just don't subscribe to your ridiculous testosterone overloaded notion that everyone needs to "answer" some fictional bell in order to prove their manhood.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yes but how can you possibly make any conclusions from this tournament when players who played poorly have played well in the nhl? Let's take Corrado as an example, can we make a conclusion about Corrado from this tournament? No you really can't. We've seen him play well in the nhl playoffs (the highest level of hockey possible), the nhl regular season, the ohl (which is itself a higher level of hockey than this tournament), and the ahl, so what can we possibly conclude from these 3 games other than he didn't play well these three games?
It's 3 games of essentially indoor pond hockey. That said, I thought Horvat was fine, Shink is gonna be good. Lotz was erratic, and his positioning on face-offs was...bizarrely low.

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006

It would appear so, but if you think about it, this tourney had some of the better players from the CHL in it mixed in with AHLers. So talent-wise I think this tourney is better, but because the players have no chemistry, very little coaching involved etc. I think the product was worse.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010

Well its never a good sign when you see a prospect to go from playing well in the NHL playoffs to playing so poorly against younger prospects. Like I said this tournament is a very good show case to see the amount of improvement and work these guys put all year and in the off season. So far I'm not impressed. There's still time at the main camp but you can't expect people to be not disappointed thus far.

member 202355

The seriousness in this thread reinforces how much y'all have missed hockey. :laugh:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
When will people get it? The results don't matter. I don't care one bit that we went 0 and 3, I care about individual performances. That's why the fact Virtanen, McCann and Co, weren't there is irrelevant to me. It may have stopped the Canucks from winning games but it sure as hell shouldn't have stopped guys like Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat and Corrado from standing out. Or, am I to assume that these guys needed Virtanen, McCann, Cassels, Hutton etc. in order to do something against other rookies?

Yeah, I don't think so.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

that's why you can't conclude from these 3 games, but it certainly factors in the analysis of a player. IE not meaningless.

why does it have to be extremes? its either 100 % meaningless or its the only 3 games to decide the future of a prospects.

It clearly isn't conclusive, but its definitely part of the evaluation, anyone saying its 100% meaningless is just trying to sugar coat it.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Horvat has been a huge disappointment this tournament for me.

On the bright side, Shinkaruk is the real deal. Wish he hadn't hurt himself and had that year back.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The only 1st round picks on Calgary's roster were Bennett(4) and Klimchuk(28).

The Canucks had Jensen(29), Gaunce(26), Shinkaruk(24), and Horvat(9).

The only advantage Calgary had was the Canucks were missing Virts/McCann through injury. Flames offset that a bit with not taking Monahan.

They just had better prospects than us.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The only advantage Calgary had was the Canucks were missing Virts/McCann through injury. Flames offset that a bit with not taking Monahan.

They just had better prospects than us.

As they should, they've been drafting higher than us for years.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Never said fighting and hockey didn't play a big part of hockey, I just don't subscribe to your ridiculous testosterone overloaded notion that everyone needs to "answer" some fictional bell in order to prove their manhood.

...it has nothing to do about proving your manhood. But it has everything to do with showing what type of man and teammate you are. I also don't think you "have" to fight every single time a guy challenges you. My original comment said if you're going to throw out a dirty hit, you should answer the bell afterwords. This holds true for not only our Canucks, but every other player as well. Just as Marchant should have fought after low bridging Salo, Keith elbow on Sedin etc...

If you're going to throw a dirty hit, at least stick up for yourself, man up and answer the bell. ESPECIALLY when you're getting blown out, especially being one of the "leaders" on the team, especially when you're fighting for a NHL roster spot and ESPECIALLY with every single scout and management member in the building watching you.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
GG guys. Was at the game and there definitely was bright spots for Vancouver, I was surprised the Flames made it out of the first only down 1-0. There were bright spots. Solid match guys :handclap:

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff 1m
#Canucks Horvat on his tourney: 'I thought I played well. I didn't contribute in the offensive side, but my 200 ft game & defense was good.'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad