Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose 4-3 in OT. Trade everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 1, 2011
Wow, you'd expect Corrado to be better there. Ugly turnover to keep the play in the Canucks zone. Then gets beat to the front of the net by the goal scorer on the next play.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Considering our entire 2014 draft class is not at this tourny, was nice to have a close game.

The clear standout players tonight were Fox, Valk, Subban and Lotz.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
McEneny was the biggest disappointment. He looked worse than most of the no-name guys on defense.

Gotta love Shinkaruk's will to constantly try to make something happen, though. And Fox needs to get a couple of preseason games with the twins just to see what kind of fire he can catch.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
mm9Ly4bpObu9DZxpbl9JBrA.jpg

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Good

Valk - This kid has the skills to pay the bill. I initially picked him to be the most impressive Canuck in the tournament and so far I'm looking good. He needs a pro contract and to score 50-60 points a year in Utica for the next two years.

Subban - Had some defensive gaffs but showed extremely talented puck handling and skating. Also showed he can handle physical play tonight. He's going to need a few years to play NHL level defense but he's the only real Canucks defensive prospect at the tournament.

Fox - I really didn't think he'd have the speed to compete at this level but displays a near elite shot and the ability to get it off anywhere. I feel like his game is a combination of Steve Ott and Brett Hull. Great prospect for the system.

Lotz - Good junior goaltender who held the Canucks in the game tonight. I don't feel he's worth a pro contract but it'll be interesting to see where he winds up.

Bad

Jensen - He's the oldest Canucks forward, a former first round pick and shouldn't even be technically playing in this tournament with his pro experience. Really showed an inability to play with teammates or have much creativity in the offensive zone. He should be dominating this tournament but just looked foolish the few times he was noticeable. Canucks need to trade this guy for something soon before they lose an asset for nothing.

Blain - This guy is terrible and the fact that he's the oldest Canuck in the tournament and has a pro contract is :facepalm: worthy. I have to wonder if he'd even be ECHL material with the amount of defensive gaffs he made tonight.

Liberati - The guy can skate but that's about it. Really see nothing in his game that leads me to believe he'll be a decent pro.

Gaunce - Avoided physical play and just kind of floated around out there. Really didn't show anything and drew unfavorable comparisons to Taylor Pyatt.

Everyone else was just kind meh.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
That was probably the worst game I have seen corrado play

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
McEneny was the biggest disappointment. He looked worse than most of the no-name guys on defense.

Gotta love Shinkaruk's will to constantly try to make something happen, though. And Fox needs to get a couple of preseason games with the twins just to see what kind of fire he can catch.

I thought McEneny was alright. Had some rough moments but also some good moments. He wasn't a difference-maker but seems to mesh with Subban.

All in all, it was a pretty rough night from basically the entire defense though.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I bet you a lot of these guys will look just fine in pro camp. I mean yeah, you'd expect the likes of Corrado and Jensen, and even Gaunce to an extent, to shine in situations like this but I believe there's also something to be said for pros (Jensen, Corrado) and top prospects (Horvat, Shinkaruk) looking better in pro camp with pro players.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Good

Valk - This kid has the skills to pay the bill. I initially picked him to be the most impressive Canuck in the tournament and so far I'm looking good. He needs a pro contract and to score 50-60 points a year in Utica for the next two years.

Subban - Had some defensive gaffs but showed extremely talented puck handling and skating. Also showed he can handle physical play tonight. He's going to need a few years to play NHL level defense but he's the only real Canucks defensive prospect at the tournament.

Fox - I really didn't think he'd have the speed to compete at this level but displays a near elite shot and the ability to get it off anywhere. I feel like his game is a combination of Steve Ott and Brett Hull. Great prospect for the system.

Lotz - Good junior goaltender who held the Canucks in the game tonight. I don't feel he's worth a pro contract but it'll be interesting to see where he winds up.

Bad

Jensen - He's the oldest Canucks forward, a former first round pick and shouldn't even be technically playing in this tournament with his pro experience. Really showed an inability to play with teammates or have much creativity in the offensive zone. He should be dominating this tournament but just looked foolish the few times he was noticeable. Canucks need to trade this guy for something soon before they lose an asset for nothing.

Blain - This guy is terrible and the fact that he's the oldest Canuck in the tournament and has a pro contract is :facepalm: worthy. I have to wonder if he'd even be ECHL material with the amount of defensive gaffs he made tonight.

Liberati - The guy can skate but that's about it. Really see nothing in his game that leads me to believe he'll be a decent pro.

Gaunce - Avoided physical play and just kind of floated around out there. Really didn't show anything and drew unfavorable comparisons to Taylor Pyatt.

Pretty solid comparison

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
But with the other guys, I kind of expected it.

Aside from Corrado, who, while poor, wasn't as bad as some of you guys are saying, IMO (nowhere near as awful as McEneny was). He started to pick it up in the second half.
Yea mostly agreed. I think Corrado and Jensen both looked like they'd rather be prepping for main camp then running around the ice in a prospects camp.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
I dono what we can do with Fox, How can you have a guy with a shot like his not make the NHL team. Especially with a team who is dieing to have a pure shooter.

His skating is not that bad, his grit is nice to see, I hope he comes out of nowhere and makes it.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Looked like the first game of the year. Passing was really off, and little skill shown. No one was screaming,"I deserve a spot in the NHL".
They need to shake off the summer rust and these games should help them get ready for the main camp. Corrado and Jensen look like they need AHL time, nothing really impressed from their games. Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Fox had moments, both good and bad, but rusty. They'll improve as they go along.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Shinkaruk:

Shinkaruk had a good game and had many chances. He also had an assist. I hope he can continue to play that way and get a goal next game. I noticed that him and Horvat both kept fumbling the puck on chances.

Horvat:

Horvat I thought played well on his defensive side of the game and he is a two-way player. I think Horvat is great at protecting the puck and playing defensively but needs to play more offensively, because that is where he is going to increase his chances into the NHL. Otherwise he started showing more in the 2nd and I think the 3rd period might have been his best.

Fox:

Same thing with Fox as Shinkaruk. Fox managed to get a goal but those shots he was getting off were great. I think if I am correct that 2nd goal that Valk got was from a Fox shot. I hope Fox can keep it up and bring some of his talent into the pre-season.

Jensen:

Jensen I don't know what was going on with him, I thought he was on and off tonight. I really don't know how his future will turn out and I have never felt too high on him. But he may be better in the AHL or NHL. I know its just the youngstars.

Valk:

Valk has played very well and managed to bring goals. He has a lot of points in Medicine Hat and has caused trouble so we should see what he can bring in the NHL pre-season and I hope he can do something.

Lotz:

This Lotz guy played absolutely well tonight. I don't know if Benning picked him up or not but if he did Benning sure knows what he is doing. I thought this kid kept us in the game and if he can keep performing well then we should sign him. Probably be a good goalie for the Comets.

Subban:

I have faith in this guy and always have. I hope he can be our puck moving defenseman of the future. He threw a nice hit for 5'9" and about 177 lbs. He brought that puck on the rush and has the skating of an NHL defenseman and a shot as well. I think he needs to finish up junior and then play a year of AHL. This is a kid you want to not mess up and want to develop him for the NHL. I really hope PK is right about him that he will become a great NHL player. I hope he grows.

Iridescent*

Good

Bad

Took the words right out of my mouth. That is bang on.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yea mostly agreed. I think Corrado and Jensen both looked like they'd rather be prepping for main camp then running around the ice in a prospects camp.
I kind of just accept that Jensen will look like that every year. :laugh:

He strikes me as a guy who for whatever reason either completely doesn't translate in this setting or flat out doesn't care about things like this.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Am I the only one who really isn't that surprised the defense looked sub-par? I mean, we have some names that us Canucks fans are interested but the reality is the Canucks have quite an average pool of defense prospects.

Think about it, the Canucks haven't drafted a blue chip defenseman since Bourdon in 2005. Their current D prospects are the type of decent, competent, mid round players that almost every team has.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Looked like the first game of the year. Passing was really off, and little skill shown. No one was screaming,"I deserve a spot in the NHL".
They need to shake off the summer rust and these games should help them get ready for the main camp. Corrado and Jensen look like they need AHL time, nothing really impressed from their games. Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Fox had moments, both good and bad, but rusty. They'll improve as they go along.

I think the ice played a role in fumbling the puck but I agree Jensen and Corrado probably do need some AHL time. Shinkaruk looked better than them both and I would give him some time with the Canucks if he can keep consistent.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Corrado and Jensen were just both trying to do too much. Probably thought they should be dominating which made them force plays that weren't there. The number of giveaways, especially by Jensen, was comical.

Really liked Fox and his **** disturbing attitude and shoot first mentality. I think he'll be an NHLer.

It seems like I'm alone but I liked Horvat tonight, he certainly looks quicker than last year. I still say he stays with the big club this year.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Am I the only one who really isn't that surprised the defense looked sub-par? I mean, we have some names that us Canucks fans are interested but the reality is the Canucks have quite an average pool of defense prospects.

Think about it, the Canucks haven't drafted a blue chip defenseman since Bourdon in 2005. Their current D prospects are the type of decent, competent, mid round players that almost every team has.
Average is optimistic.

I think most of us were expecting our D to be awful, but for Corrado and McEneny to be among the bright spots rather than Subban. Otherwise, pretty expected.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Corrado and Jensen were just both trying to do too much. Probably thought they should be dominating which made them force plays that weren't there. The number of giveaways, especially by Jensen, was comical.

Really liked Fox and his **** disturbing attitude and shoot first mentality. I think he'll be an NHLer.

It seems like I'm alone but I liked Horvat tonight, he certainly looks quicker than last year. I still say he stays with the big club this year.

not alone, he is going to be quietly be the best player on the ice in his prime

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, Horvat's game looked really projectable into the NHL at the moment. He just didn't drive the play offensively, and seemed to let Shinkaruk do the heavy lifting on that front.

I'm starting to feel that putting him between Higgins and Hansen this year would be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad