Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose 3-2 in a shootout. Henrik passes to the boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Seeing Hodgson score the SO winner has me thinking. If we're not going to play the 4th line anyways, maybe we should just fill it with the most supremely skilled, lazy, one dimensional, non-backchecking, no vision, slow skating, NHL reject, pure goal scorers?

Because shootouts!

Where's Roman Oksiuta these days? Haha

I like it, let's bring back Tambo :)

yotefan4life

Jul 11, 2006
Was at the game last night...good atmosphere for a weekday game in Phoenix. No problem admitting Coyotes stole one. If it wasn't for the shootout and it was playoff style sudden death...Nucks win that one. Good game guys!

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Was at the game last night...good atmosphere for a weekday game in Phoenix. No problem admitting Coyotes stole one. If it wasn't for the shootout and it was playoff style sudden death...Nucks win that one. Good game guys!

At least it was entertaining hockey. Man, this division is crazy strong. The first round of the playoffs should be a dogfight for teams in this division. It is going to be an entertaining April. :)

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Pretty sure he handles the PP.

Good move to put Kesler on the left point like many - including me :D - have been calling for all along. And even better to see it pay off right away in this game. Make use of that rocket he has!

Torts holding himself accountable in the post-game presser is such a nice change from AV too.

Now if hed just listen to us and get Edler in for Hamhuis on the first unit, then Bieksa in for Hamhuis on the second unit, and Kassian instead of Burrows up front. Baby steps though, lol.

Disappointed in not getting the second point we deserved, but looking at the game as a measuring stick and I felt we were the superior team. I guess PHX is this div's version of MIN, tight structure and not much room on the ice. Not quite as boring, but a team we'll need to be on our game against to generate any offense.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
It seems noone actually watches the play and just assumes since it was the Sedins it was a terrible attempt.

Daniel's was a good move he just didnt have enough speed, certainly passable

Henrik was going to pull the same move he did on his penalty shot against Nsh last year but THE PUCK LITERALLY JUMPED OVER HIS STICK. Extremely unlucky and nothing more, regardless of whether or not he would have scored.

Now im not saying they would have been my first choices but theyre getting too much hate based on their name rather than the attempt

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
It seems noone actually watches the play and just assumes since it was the Sedins it was a terrible attempt.

Henrik was going to pull the same move he did on his penalty shot against Nsh last year but THE PUCK LITERALLY JUMPED OVER HIS STICK. Extremely unlucky and nothing more, regardless of whether or not he would have scored.

Now im not saying they would have been my first choices but theyre getting too much hate based on their name rather than the attempt

After 65 minutes of hockey in Phoenix, even a scrape isn't going to help that ice surface. You have to shoot.

Anyways, Mike Smith is annoying. Two of the Canucks hit iron and one tried to start a cycle in the corner and he does a massive fist pump. Wouldn't mind seeing him get Edler'd again.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
After starting pretty average, Luongo is quietly putting together a solid season.

With Schneider gone, he's back to his role as a workhorse goaltender with 14 games played, which is tied for 1st in the league. He's got 8 wins so far and a nice looking 2.24 GAA and .915 Save% and 2 shutouts.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Pretty much.

Classic Monday morning QB over-reaction.

There was nothing wrong with Daniel's attempt - Smith made a good save.

Henrik was unlucky.

I have no issue with them being used in the SO again, and in fact hope that they are.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Pretty much.

Henrik was unlucky.

I have no issue with them being used in the SO again, and in fact hope that they are.

I agree, but the fact that it's even a question as to whether or not the Sedins should be used confirms what an absolute farce the shootout is.

The shootout was, is, and will always be horrible, and eventually the league will realize this and eliminate it.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
After starting pretty average, Luongo is quietly putting together a solid season.

With Schneider gone, he's back to his role as a workhorse goaltender with 14 games played, which is tied for 1st in the league. He's got 8 wins so far and a nice looking 2.24 GAA and .915 Save% and 2 shutouts.

Pretty much why Luongo hasn't gotten credit as being a top goaltender lately. Consistently good numbers, overshadowed from year to year by guys who play out of their minds and then fade into relative obscurity. Granted, it can be tough to see other goalies win Vezinas every year, but it's an advantage knowing you can pretty much count on .915+ SV% and 2.50 GAA year in and year out.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

But, but, but....he lost in a shootout!

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Pretty much why Luongo hasn't gotten credit as being a top goaltender lately. Consistently good numbers, overshadowed from year to year by guys who play out of their minds and then fade into relative obscurity. Granted, it can be tough to see other goalies win Vezinas every year, but it's an advantage knowing you can pretty much count on .915+ SV% and 2.50 GAA year in and year out.

(at an excellent cap hit for that calibre of goaltending)

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Pretty much.

Henrik was unlucky.

I just personally think it's more advantageous for shooters to go in with speed.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Yep. Henrik I think had Smith dead to rights. Smith completely bit on the move and if the puck doesn't jump over his stick, Smith is moving one way and Henrik has the entire other side of the net open. That was simply crappy luck. As were the 4 posts the team hit through the third, OT and shootout.

It's important to note that they weren't Torts first choices either. They were choice 5 and 6. There aren't many guys sitting on the bench that you are going to take over them at that point except maybe Kassian. Burrows, Santorelli, KAssian and Schroeder are the only canucks over 30% on shootouts for their career.

To the above poster saying it was an entertaining game surely you were watching some other game and just thought it was the canucks-coyotes.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Yep. Henrik I think had Smith dead to rights. Smith completely bit on the move and if the puck doesn't jump over his stick, Smith is moving one way and Henrik has the entire other side of the net open. That was simply crappy luck. As were the 4 posts the team hit through the third, OT and shootout.

It's important to note that they weren't Torts first choices either. They were choice 5 and 6. There aren't many guys sitting on the bench that you are going to take over them at that point except maybe Kassian.

To the above poster saying it was an entertaining game surely you were watching some other game and just thought it was the canucks-coyotes.

Absolutely Kassian should be shooting, he should be in the top 3. I'd also like to know what Dalpe has to offer, seems like a shifty guy. Maybe too cold by that point to put him out there.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Some power play info from murphy for those wondering why hamhuis is on the PP, like myself.

Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph 7m
Torts uses Hamhuis as one D on 1st PP unit because he feels that Hamhuis really settles things down out there. More important than big shot.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
For some reason this got me to laugh :laugh:

Haha don't worry, the 'NHL reject' comment wasn't actually directed at Hodgson. Just made me think that all the faults in Cody's game, mean nothing in a shootout.

We could pick up a 40 yr old player from some beer league, who's 5'4, 128lbs, skates like a donkey, can't check for his life, and could never handle a serious pro league, but dangles like Jagr in between cigarettes on the bench! Haha

The shootout doesn't require you to be a good overall hockey player, or even an athlete. Simply a good shooter or stickhandler. A big screw you to the NHL would be signing some otherwise useless, but skilled plug to be hockey's version of the designated hitter. :D

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Haha don't worry, the 'NHL reject' comment wasn't actually directed at Hodgson. Just made me think that all the faults in Cody's game, mean nothing in a shootout.

We could pick up a 40 yr old player from some beer league, who's 5'4, 128lbs, skates like a donkey, can't check for his life, and could never handle a serious pro league, but dangles like Jagr in between cigarettes on the bench! Haha

The shootout doesn't require you to be a good overall hockey player, or even an athlete. Simply a good shooter or stickhandler. A big screw you to the NHL would be signing some otherwise useless, but skilled plug to be hockey's version of the designated hitter. :D

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the new NHL!

Tanevian*

Henrik with a beautiful pass to the boards....in the shootout :facepalm:

As soon as I saw Daniel and Henrik going in for the shootout I knew they wouldn't score. They should be banned from the shootouts.

You need a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad