Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose 3-2 in a shootout. Henrik passes to the boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
I just personally think it's more advantageous for shooters to go in with speed.

both burrows and vrbata scored in the shootout last night by going in without much speed

there's no rhyme or reason to shootout strategy...it's mainly luck and goaltending, and the canucks hitting two posts and the puck jumping off henrik's stick was just plain bad luck

Results

Sep 3, 2006
Vancouver
both burrows and vrbata scored in the shootout last night by going in without much speed

there's no rhyme or reason to shootout strategy...it's mainly luck and goaltending, and the canucks hitting two posts and the puck jumping off henrik's stick was just plain bad luck

I agree with this. There are some pretty conspicuous examples of players not 'going in with speed' and having tons of success.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Now if hed just listen to us and get Edler in for Hamhuis on the first unit, then Bieksa in for Hamhuis on the second unit, and Kassian instead of Burrows up front. Baby steps though, lol.

If they keep Kesler there on the point it's an improvement already IMO even if they don't move Hamhuis off that unit, though I hope they do because I agree it should be Edler over him. Kassian for Burrows is the other switch I'd make too.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I agree, but the fact that it's even a question as to whether or not the Sedins should be used confirms what an absolute farce the shootout is.

The shootout was, is, and will always be horrible, and eventually the league will realize this and eliminate it.

I hope you're right.

I can't imagine if the people in this thread were baseball fans; they'd want to boot their best player from the team the moment he has an 0/4 game, or a 2-for-25 stretch. It happens.

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Well, that doesn't really represent my opinion well. Sure you can score going slow, I just think it's better to go on speed. If you want to give me some numbers, I'm game to redact my opinion.

And FYI, I didn't have a problem with what the Sedins were trying to do (deke) but I personally thought going in with a bit more speed couldn't have hurt.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Well, that doesn't really represent my opinion well. Sure you can score going slow, I just think it's better to go on speed. If you want to give me some numbers, I'm game to redact my opinion.

And FYI, I didn't have a problem with what the Sedins were trying to do (deke) but I personally thought going in with a bit more speed couldn't have hurt.

Even if only because going in with speed gives them less time to think and just act on instinct like they'd do in-game, maybe?

Reminds me how at one point AV was picking players to go without telling them beforehand.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I agree with this. There are some pretty conspicuous examples of players not 'going in with speed' and having tons of success.

If you want to go in slow and have consistent success like pat kane, you need to have insanely fast deking ability. The Sedins don't have that or at least they sure haven't show it yet. They tend to skate slow and even deke from side-to-side slowly which isn't hard for a goalie to deal with. Also the release in their shootouts is generally pathetic. They should honestly just skate as fast as they can and do a slapshot. :laugh:

When goalies see pat kane, they want to pee their pants. He's incredible. A slow-moving pat kane in a shootout is lethal, but the majority of players are not.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If Daniel lifts the puck off the ice he scores... The canucks had bad puck luck last night.

I think we were actually lucky some of their shootout attempts didnt go in to be honest.

If your coming in on Luongo and blink he bites and goes down, he did it everytime last night, we were lucky they plain missed when he was down most times.

Results

Sep 3, 2006
Vancouver
If you want to go in slow and have consistent success like pat kane, you need to have insanely fast deking ability. The Sedins don't have that or at least they sure haven't show it yet. They tend to skate slow and even deke from side-to-side slowly which isn't hard for a goalie to deal with. Also the release in their shootouts is generally pathetic. They should honestly just skate as fast as they can and do a slapshot. :laugh:

When goalies see pat kane, they want to pee their pants. He's incredible. A slow-moving pat kane in a shootout is lethal, but the majority of players are not.

I think it's very obvious that skating in slowly makes it easier to manipulate the puck, no matter how good a stickhandler you are. This is common sense. Yes, Patrick Kane is the extreme example, but my point is simply that speed isn't 'better' without qualification.

Tanevian*

I think we were actually lucky some of their shootout attempts didnt go in to be honest.

If your coming in on Luongo and blink he bites and goes down, he did it everytime last night, we were lucky they plain missed when he was down most times.

You know you don't have much of a grasp of hockey when you credit luck for save after save. You can always tell we've lost when you are posting.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If they keep Kesler there on the point it's an improvement already IMO even if they don't move Hamhuis off that unit, though I hope they do because I agree it should be Edler over him. Kassian for Burrows is the other switch I'd make too.

Agreed. Let Kassian take over the role Kesler, allowing him to bomb wrist and slap shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad