Friedman: Canucks intereted in big players w. Skill ( players mentioned)

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
So let's say they trade Tanev/Edler for a pick+ a young guy that fits the criteria mentioned and might also fit in the long term plan I don't see why Canucks fans would be upset?

1) Because Benning is simply awful at identifying young guys that are actually any good (usually they are waiver eligible players that teams are trying to salvage something out of)
2) He's allergic to picks and likely won't acquire any
3) Under the guise of "being competitive", he'll target a roster player. Problem is, trading Tanev will create a much bigger hole on the roster than any player he can reasonably get back in return without giving up picks/futures.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
1) Because Benning is simply awful at identifying young guys that are actually any good (usually they are waiver eligible players that teams are trying to salvage something out of)
2) He's allergic to picks and likely won't acquire any
3) Under the guise of "being competitive", he'll target a roster player. Problem is, trading Tanev will create a much bigger hole on the roster than any player he can reasonably get back in return without giving up picks/futures.

Well, ofcourse he can't replace Tanev straight away. But if you risk losing Tanev for nothing and Benning rather than trading him straight up for picks see it as an opportunity to go after a younger player that he see fits the long term plan, would that really be that bad of an idea?

You've already have plenty of good prospects knocking on the door ready for nhl so surrounding them with decent players doesn't sound too bad imo.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Now I wish Chiarelli was smart enough to try to move Lucic. If Benning wants big players with skill then you'd think he'd like Lucic, ha ha ha.

Lucic has been mentioned by at least 5 desperate Oiler fans. Has lucic been the scapegoat this year for the Oilers demise ?? And 5 more years ?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Well, ofcourse he can't replace Tanev straight away. But if you risk losing Tanev for nothing and Benning rather than trading him straight up for picks see it as an opportunity to go after a younger player that he see fits the long term plan, would that really be that bad of an idea?

You've already have plenty of good prospects knocking on the door ready for nhl so surrounding them with decent players doesn't sound too bad imo.

Why would risk losing Tanev for nothing.

He is under contract for a couple of more years on a very very discounted salary

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Yes, because having Tanev on the roster prevents the defense from being one of the worst of the past decade. It's arguably there with him in the lineup. Without him, a kid like Olli Juolevi is gonna get Jeff Schultz'd. That has more value than the bottom pairing/bottom-6 players that teams are ready to give up on that Benning would target and hope that they miraculously reach their peak potential from when they were drafted.

I have no interest in Slater Koekkoekk and Adam Erne in return for Tanev.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Tatar for a 2nd

Sign JVR this summer

Still keep your 1st rounder and add two more nice pieces.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Whats his scouting report. I dont see Isles too often.

He is big on paper but does he play big. Physical?

Powerplay? Pk?

Grinder playmaker or finisher?

From what I've heard from Isles fans he doesn't use his size well and floats a lot but is pretty much a given for 20+ goals each year. The problem with Nelson is that he's an RFA at seasons' end and likely seeking a decent raise. If Hutton straight up got it done I wouldn't be opposed, but my guess is that Benning would find a way to include the Canucks' 2nd.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Why would risk losing Tanev for nothing.

He is under contract for a couple of more years on a very very discounted salary

Oh my bad, for some reason I thought his contract was running out after next season. You've got 3 more years of tanev.

But yes, in that case there's probably no reason to trade him just yet unless someone is willing to overpay for him.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
From what I've heard from Isles fans he doesn't use his size well and floats a lot but is pretty much a given for 20+ goals each year. The problem with Nelson is that he's an RFA at seasons' end and likely seeking a decent raise. If Hutton straight up got it done I wouldn't be opposed, but my guess is that Benning would find a way to include the Canucks' 2nd.

Nelson would be a decent add, but we need to move out Vanek at minimum and possibly another F to give guys like GOldobin or Virtanen more ice time.

Canucks would like to move a lhd I would assume, I would like Edler to be dealt as he has more value but it looks like it could be Hutton or lesser degree MDZ.

I would do Nelson for MDZ, less inclined to do it for Hutton but probably would still pull that trigger. Nelson isnt quite what Benning has stated he is after

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Yes, because having Tanev on the roster prevents the defense from being one of the worst of the past decade. It's arguably there with him in the lineup. Without him, a kid like Olli Juolevi is gonna get Jeff Schultz'd. That has more value than the bottom pairing/bottom-6 players that teams are ready to give up on that Benning would target and hope that they miraculously reach their peak potential from when they were drafted.

I have no interest in Slater Koekkoekk and Adam Erne in return for Tanev.

Yes you're right, Tanev was a bad example, I thought his contract was running out after next season.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Big players with skill?

Nah, Benning should be going after Teenagers with Attitude.

rafterman

Dec 1, 2010
Flyover country
Well, if they aren't so hung up on the 'skill' part, I'm sure most Wild fans would be willing to send Foligno that way for any game worn Lu gear that might still be hanging around in a storage room somewhere... If that's not available, a big tub of poutine would suffice.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
please take brock nelson
What happened to him, I always liked him, but his production seems to have really fallen off. Has Barzal just taken all of his opportunities?

Sign JVR in the offseason.

He is a big guy with a lot of skill. Costs no assets right now.
I would really like this signing, though it's probably not the big body type JB is talking about. Doesn't seem to throw the body around much anymore. Plus he wouldn't sign here you would think, only an overpayment and we already have bad contracts on the books in Eriksson and Sutter so....

This scream Evander Kane to me, and I really don't know how I feel about bringing him in. Always liked the player, plus he can PK as well, but with the attitude stuff I would be worried without having the Sedin's to hold him accountable and we don't have space to have all 3 of them blocking the young guys development. I think the safer option is to target Maroon on July 1- someone who can play bottom 6 or move up to the second line in a pinch.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They could always give bags of growth hormones to all their players and make them get bigger.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lucic has been mentioned by at least 5 desperate Oiler fans. Has lucic been the scapegoat this year for the Oilers demise ?? And 5 more years ?
Honestly, Lucic isn't the problem. At least not the only problem, and we could be a part of the solution if we put the right players around him. He was fine up until Christmas, but he's been really bad since, mostly on the score sheet. He's just not quick enough to get in and bang in the corners anymore with the speed of the game picking up. The good news is that he did admit in a recent interview that he knows his speed and size are an issue for todays game and he wants to work on improving his speed for next season. If he succeeds, he's not a problem. The biggest problem is that we have no depth and need to figure out how to get some with little extra cap space beyond what we have tied up and need for our RFA's.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Nelson isn't physical but he's big and I still like the idea of him for Hutton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad