Friedman: Canucks intereted in big players w. Skill ( players mentioned)

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
According to Friedman the Canucks are looking at youngish players under contract w. Term. Big, physical w. Skill.

Friedman mentions that the Canucks have inquired about :

Bjugstad
Brock Nelson
Namenstikov (not big tho)

Other than these players, does your team have any players that are available with somewhat similar ilk.

Coyle?
Nick Ritchie?

Players speculated to be available.

Hutton
Tanev
Edler
Del zotto
Vanek
Baertschi?
Virtanen?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
According to Friedman the Canucks are looking at youngish players under contract w. Term. Big, physical w. Skill.

Bjugstad
Brock Nelson

Other than these players, does your team have any players that are available with somewhat similar ilk.

Coyle?
Nick Ritchie?

Players speculated to be available.

Hutton
Tanev
Edler
Del zotto
Vanek
Baertschi?
Virtanen?

That is someone that came to mind immediately for me but had a hard time making a connection on a return.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Bjugstad
Brock Nelson

That's not what he said. This is how the idea that Friedman has 'lost credibility' has spread. Here is what he actually said in his latest 31 thoughts:

Newly extended Canucks GM Jim Benning raised eyebrows on Hockey Night in Canada last weekend when he said the team “would like to add a big player. Maybe a forward with some physicality who has the skill to make plays.”

My sense is they are looking for youngish players with some term or team control. Possible fits could be the likes of Nick Bjugstad (Florida), Vladislav Namestnikov (Tampa Bay) or Brock Nelson (Islanders).

That is just Friedman speculating, and his language is pretty clear on that front.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Anaheims biggest need is a RHD to playw. Fowler.

Enter Tanev who isnt a rental either.

Nick Ritchie and a conditional pick for Tanev?

If Anaheim makes it to the 2nd round and plays in 50% of their playoff games then Vancouver gets a 1st, if they don't make 2nd round or he fails to play 50% of their playoff games then Vancouver gets a 2nd?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Step off the ledge. Theres no mention of giving up futures or draft picks .

Bennings M-O from the beginning has been to trade draft picks for current 'upgrades'.

I don't know what else we would move to get any of these guys? A defenseman maybe? In which case you are probably adding draft picks unless its Edler or Tanev your moving. (Unless you have a different idea?)

Reactions: Gene Parmesan

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We've been saying this since November when Dorsett was forced to retire that Benning will probably be looking for one, and this is no surprise, wether team tank or team playoffs, he wants a tough player up front. Now wether if with skill, of course they would like a tough guy with skill, he's still in hunt for a Doresett replacement which had nothing but a positive effect on the team.

calm the f*** down guys.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
31 Thoughts: There aren't as many 'untouchable' players as you think - Sportsnet.ca

Newly extended Canucks GM Jim Benning raised eyebrows on Hockey Night in Canada last weekend when he said the team “would like to add a big player. Maybe a forward with some physicality who has the skill to make plays.”
My sense is they are looking for youngish players with some term or team control. Possible fits could be the likes of Nick Bjugstad (Florida), Vladislav Namestnikov (Tampa Bay) or Brock Nelson (Islanders).

Friedman is reading the tea leaves wrong here.

GMJB's words were clearly a coded message to summertime UFA Evander Kane. :thumbu:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Nick Ritchie and a conditional pick for Tanev?

If Anaheim makes it to the 2nd round and plays in 50% of their playoff games then Vancouver gets a 1st, if they don't make 2nd round or he fails to play 50% of their playoff games then Vancouver gets a 2nd?

If Tanev was a rental maybe.

But Tanev is under a really good contract for 2 more yrs.
Him.playing a percentage of games for this years playoffs shouldnt be make or break.

Tanev for Ritchie 1st and prospect

Anaheim gets a couple of playoff runs w. Tanev.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Bennings M-O from the beginning has been to trade draft picks for current 'upgrades'.

I don't know what else we would move to get any of these guys? A defenseman maybe? In which case you are probably adding draft picks unless its Edler or Tanev your moving. (Unless you have a different idea?)

Benning hasnt.done that since hes been.given full greenlight.

Eg last year burrows for dahlen. Hansen for goldobin.

I think 1 for 1 w. Like a hutton or baertschi .

Or packaged in tanev or edler..

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Tanev was a rental maybe.

But Tanev is under a really good contract for 2 more yrs.
Him.playing a percentage of games for this years playoffs shouldnt be make or break.

Tanev for Ritchie 1st and prospect

Anaheim gets a couple of playoff runs w. Tanev.

I think Anaheim can do better for that price or less.

Reactions: Vipers31

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
Kane? Don't follow either team, but just looking at the rosters I could see a deal with Vancouver and Buffalo. Vancouver could get a trial run with Kane before offering him a deal in the summer, and Buffalo could get a defensemen?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Kane? Don't follow either team, but just looking at the rosters I could see a deal with Vancouver and Buffalo. Vancouver could get a trial run with Kane before offering him a deal in the summer, and Buffalo could get a defensemen?

This makes 0 sense for either team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad